[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commissioners, your input please

Grits and Shins

Our published league scoring rules call for defenses to score 7 points for a shutout.

This week my opponent (I'm the commissioner) noticed that his defense (Jacksonville) did not get 7 points for shutting PIT out, as he lost by less than 1 point it will change the outcome of the game. MFL is not setup correctly to support this scoring rule.

Now if that was the end of it I'd simply change MFL and be done with it. However, another owner has noted that in week 1 his defense (Chicago) was not credited for shutting out Green Bay and with the 7 points he wins instead of loses. The owner that has a win become a loss in week 1 is not as understanding as I am.

A little research shows that MFL has not scored 7 points for a shut in our leage since 2002; i.e. in 2002 defenses were credited 7 points for a shut out but in 2003, 2004, 2005 and the 1st 2 weeks of 2006 defenses have not gotten credit for a shut out.

What do you do?

1) Correct the scoring in MFL

A) Correct week 2 only, giving my team the loss

B) Correct weeks 1 and 2 giving my team and another team a loss

2) Tell the owners that 3+ years of MFL scoring setup has established a precedent

3) Something else

Edited by Grits and Shins

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In our league, we address rules, etc........and move forward. I would say 1A. This is something that should have been addressed sooner (2003). I don't think you can make changes to weeks past. Now, you could address this past weeks results and make sure MFL has it correst moving forward.

Good Luck.

Your rules say you get 7 points for a shutout, so follow the rules.

While I agree with Vet, I must say if there is a scoring disrepancy, an owner should be responsible to bring it up the week of the game. If it is brought up after the week, well...

I know this might suck, but you might actually have to go through all the previous years' games and see if anything would have come out different. If any argument of any kind can be made that the winner in a season would have been different had the game been scored differently, then you should say that a precedent has been established. Otherwise, you should correct the scoring in weeks 1 and 2.

To be honest, I think that 1B is the right thing to do anyway, because that's the information that owners were provided when they drafted, traded, made WW moves, etc. BUT you walk a very dangerous line if the scoring snafu could have affected the outcome in previous seasons. Research this without informing the other owners, and act only after you have this knowledge. I know I'm going to get some flack for this, but I can see some major major problems arising if someone got short changed in a prior season.

While I agree with Vet, I must say if there is a scoring disrepancy, an owner should be responsible to bring it up the week of the game. If it is brought up after the week, well...

Agree here, i have had similar errors in scoring in years past and if caught in the week following the error it should be corrected, but to go back beyond that is too much..............if that is the case are you to review the games in the past 3-4 years and see if any playoff teams would be eliminated etc. there'd be no end.

I'd correct the mistake and move forward, the owner from the previous week would have never of known had it not been brought to his attention so he's got to live with it.

Actually, I'm in this league and my team is the team that lost in week 1 due to this...my take is that it's just not turned on in the MFL scoring and can easily be rectified for this year. I've checked last year's scoring already and there were only 4-5 shutouts all year and none of them affected any of the games from 2005. There's also nothing in our rules that says that any errors must be reported in any certain length of time...

All in all, I'd say since it's so early in the season, it's a simple matter of just turning it back on, and adjusting the league scoring/standings to reflect the rules...

That and I get to see Bangers throw a big fit... :D

Also forgot to mention...this is a free league and it's basically just for bragging/trash talk...so no Huddle credits will be lost one way or the other on the outcome of whatever happens...

Edited by ABearWithFurniture

Since, as you mentioned, MFL has not scored shutouts for the past 3 years, you must continue with that precedent. However, since your league rules state a shutout should be rewarded 7 points, you should correct the MFL scoring starting with next season.

If you change the scoring now, you will have owners researching the last 3 years to figure out the proper outcome for their team. Since no one has been credited the 7points and the season has started, I don't think changing it now would sit well with the other owners. Make the correction starting next season.

Since, as you mentioned, MFL has not scored shutouts for the past 3 years...

Yeah, but this was because someone forgot to set up the scoring correctly...not MFL fault or any of the team owners...simply because it didn't get caught until now doesn't set have anything to do with setting precendents...it was a simple mistake by one person and can easily be fixed for this season...

2) Tell the owners that 3+ years of MFL scoring setup has established a precedent

I bet that over the last three years this scoring problem has affected quite a few games. I would say go with it the way it is now, it's the way your league currently runs and has been for a while now.

edit: just read Bear's post. :D

Edited by sunysteelfly76

1B.

The rules were set and the scoring setup should reflect this. Any errors in the setup should be fixed to reflect the rules and scoring corrected retroactively.

But since it was not noticed until this season, it should only be for this year to avoid opening a hugh can of worms.

how the hell did noone catch this 'till now ?:D

man you gotta total bag of sh!t right here blitz...... I do not envy being the one who has to throw the flag. :lol:

1st. of all.... make anything prior to this year a non-issue.... that will reduce the amount of bullets being fired @ you. :lol:

2nd. - I'm not gonna get into the multitude of options.... just lay it on the line how I would do it if it were Gen Lost. :D

I'd correct everything back to last week. the guy last week gets f**cked...... the guy this week is happy. you're only going back a week here...... be glad it's not week 12. you're only gonna please 50% of the people involved anyway.

if the rules state 7 points...... then you correct MFL & roll on.

Edited by Down Goes Frazia

I have to go with this one as well. An owner has the responsibility to make sure that his team has been scored correctly. If I was in a close game and I saw that my DEF had shut out their opponent, you better believe that I would make sure I recieved those points.

An owner should check his/her scores each and every week. If there is a problem with the scoring, as provided by the rules, he should bring up the problem to the commish to review and change correctly if need be. After that week has passed, too late so sorry. You cannot go back one, two or more weeks and adjust errors and change outcomes.

Edited by 'canes2004

[i bet that over the last three years this scoring problem has affected quite a few games.

Again, I looked at all the shutouts from last year and not one of our fantasy games would have been changed by this rule, as there were only about 4-5 shutouts all of last year...

There's already been 3 shutouts this year and 2 of those games had an effect on our league scoring/standings...again, I don't see what the big deal is...if anything else it should come down to a league vote...

Yeah, but this was because someone forgot to set up the scoring correctly...not MFL fault or any of the team owners...simply because it didn't get caught until now doesn't set have anything to do with setting precendents...it was a simple mistake by one person and can easily be fixed for this season...

Yeah, but it was caught after week 2. If you would have caught it last week, I say make the change now. But where's the limit? What if it weren't caught until week 9? My point is that the season has started and there is obviously nothing in the rules stating how far into the season you can go before correcting scores. Obviously you're upset because it affected the outcome of your game, but the flip side of that is that you and everyone else for the past 3 years never caught the error. IMO, if there is a recurring issue (such as this in week one and week two) and the issue was not corrected/caught after the first occurence, you cannot make the change until a new season begins. What kind of precedent would the commish set if he changes it now that his team was affected?

Edited by Brentastic

I have to go with this one as well. An owner has the responsibility to make sure that his team has been scored correctly. If I was in a close game and I saw that my DEF had shut out their opponent, you better believe that I would make sure I recieved those points.

An owner should check his/her scores each and every week. If there is a problem with the scoring, as provided by the rules, he should bring up the problem to the commish to review and change correctly if need be. After that week has passed, too late so sorry. You cannot go back one, two or more weeks and adjust errors and change outcomes.

I generally agree with this approach as well ... but for some reason I have not included this in these rules :D

If I was in a close game and I saw that my DEF had shut out their opponent, you better believe that I would make sure I recieved those points.

That's exactly why none of us had ever caught it before...this year one of our team owners lost by a few decimal points and looked to see...and that's when it was found...