[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carnell Williams

Avernus

You seem to know more about this type of injury than... well... me, so I'll ask:

Assuming it's bad, what kind of time do you think he would miss?

Assuming it's actually not that bad, could it potentially get a lot worse if he ignores it or keeps playing?

I'll be mad if you don't know the answers. :D

If it's really bad, his career might be over. If it's marginally bad and he keeps playing without having it fixed, it will undoubtedly get worse. There are a number of surgical options, some of which only entail recovery time of 2-4 works . . . others that would take more like 9 months. It all depends on the extent of the injury and what types of risks he's willing to take in getting it fixed.

But this is all conjecture at this point b/c we haven't seen any hard news.

FYI - I know about this b/c I have 3 blown disks in my back and explored pretty much every option out there a couple years ago. That said, the healthcare available to professional athletes is a lot better than what's available to schlubs like me.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Alstott had surgery to repair a herniated disc a couple seasons ago and came back no worse for wear.

That was in his neck, though - right? The disks in the back can be a much bigger problem b/c they bear multiples more weight than the neck disks do and take a beating on virtually every impact.

This is what I found on ESPN. Doesn't say anything about a herniated disc.

Link

Sep. 21

News:

Williams said that the lack of carries, not the back spasms he has been dealing with, are the reason his on the field production has slipped, reports The Tampa Tribune.

Scouts Take:

The poor performance of the offensive line and the team's inability to stay with the running game due to playing from behind, are two major reasons of Williams lack of production.

I think everyone should run out and grab Michael Pittman.....

God he would be such a STUD if Caddy were out or hurt......

We owners of Caddy need to hope that he gets more carries and a little better blocking this week and after the bye.....thats all not about his back and all the rumors and junk on this thread that honestly is in NOT ONE NEWS SOURCE YET.......

This is a long thread with nothing concrete AT ALL attached to it..... WOW

I think everyone should run out and grab Michael Pittman.....

God he would be such a STUD if Caddy were out or hurt......

We owners of Caddy need to hope that he gets more carries and a little better blocking this week and after the bye.....thats all not about his back and all the rumors and junk on this thread that honestly is in NOT ONE NEWS SOURCE YET.......

This is a long thread with nothing concrete AT ALL attached to it..... WOW

god forbid we discuss anything in forums

how dare us

he doesn't have disks rubbing up against each other b/c that's not physically possible (they're rubbing against nerves, if anything). the impact of the herniated disks ultimately just depends on how bad they are and how far they're protruding - they can range from moderately painful to debilitating - from an epidural away from feeling good to surgery.

overall, not a good sign.

How is that related to back spasms?

RB Cadillac Williams missed practice last week because of recurring back spasms, but that is not why he has been nearly invisible in the Bucs' two losses. In two games, Williams has carried the ball 23 times for 59 yards. HC Jon Gruden accredited Williams' lack of production to the fact Tampa has fallen behind early and the offense has had to abandon the run to catch up. "I'm fine. The back is not a problem," Williams said. "I played Sunday and it didn't give me trouble. Once I come to the sideline, I've got to keep moving, keep heat on it or it'll tighten up."

So Avernus......where's the link? You are stating this as fact.......you are now in the Pittman thread......you looking to get Caddy cheap in a trade or what? :D What's the deal here.......why would all these reports say he's fine and then this?

I already own him in my local...

all I know is they had a 10 minute fantasy segment on espn news at 3:50...the "expert" said this and mentioned Westbrooks injury how it's bone on bone and he'll likely play this week, but won't practice...

Sounds like player hatin'. Does anyone else find it odd that only one person caught this broadcast? Target marketing I suppose. :D

you are a we todd....

shew..

edit: did you not read that I own him in my local.....which is a money league?...

ahah shouldn't you be over at the advice forum wondering if you should start Coles over Holt?...

Edited by Avernus

How is that related to back spasms?

"Back spasms" are actually often slightly herniated disks. The term is used very loosely to cover pretty much anything involving back pain . . .

"Back spasms" are actually often slightly herniated disks. The term is used very loosely to cover pretty much anything involving back pain . . .

Wait a sec, let's not confuse everyone.

Herniated discs is one of a handful of things that can cause back spasms. So when a team refers to an injury as a "back spasm" it definitely doesn't "often" mean that the player has a slightly herniated disc. The Bucs have not released information as to why Cadillac's back was giving problems but it could be just as simple as he didn't stretch or warm-up properly (as he claimed was the reason for his problems in the pre-season). Cadillac appears to be fine as he isn't listed on the team's official injury report. I think his slow start has a lot more to do with how poorly the Bucs have played. I'll make my usual inquiries about this and if I do find something I will report it in my next injury report, but right now I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Only thing that concerns me is ESPNs reporting on a herniated disk...they have been wrong before but they also have been right a few times.

I don't see where ESPN is reporting that he is dealing with a herniated disc. And I'm pretty sure that if he was dealing with such an injury he would be listed somewhere on the injury report.

Does anybody have a link to any article that even speculates that Cadillac is dealing with a herniation?