[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carnell Williams

Avernus

Wait a sec, let's not confuse everyone.

Herniated discs is one of a handful of things that can cause back spasms. So when a team refers to an injury as a "back spasm" it definitely doesn't "often" mean that the player has a slightly herniated disc. The Bucs have not released information as to why Cadillac's back was giving problems but it could be just as simple as he didn't stretch or warm-up properly (as he claimed was the reason for his problems in the pre-season). Cadillac appears to be fine as he isn't listed on the team's official injury report. I think his slow start has a lot more to do with how poorly the Bucs have played. I'll make my usual inquiries about this and if I do find something I will report it in my next injury report, but right now I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

what was confusing? "Often" wasn't meant to imply any sort of percentage or anything like that - it just means that there are a lot of cases where someone has a herniated disk and it's reported as "back spasms". I'm not saying that it's 75, 50 or even 25% (though I wouldn't be surprised if 25 was about right) of the time that back spasms mean herniated disks - it's just not infrequent.

Carry on.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard from several people that ESPN 2's Fantasy Show reported that Cadillac has "multiple herniated discs." What I don't understand is that if this report was true why hasn't ESPN.com jumped all over the report and published it on their site? It isn't adding up. But time will tell.

agreed - it doesn't make sense b/c multiple herniated discs (no matter how slight the herniation, as the rigors of an NFL career are bound to make them worse) are nothing to sneeze at.

I've heard from several people that ESPN 2's Fantasy Show reported that Cadillac has "multiple herniated discs." What I don't understand is that if this report was true why hasn't ESPN.com jumped all over the report and published it on their site? It isn't adding up. But time will tell.

that's what I am saying, but the fact that ESPN allowed this report has me seriously on the fence on the report...

Wait a sec, let's not confuse everyone.

Herniated discs is one of a handful of things that can cause back spasms. So when a team refers to an injury as a "back spasm" it definitely doesn't "often" mean that the player has a slightly herniated disc. The Bucs have not released information as to why Cadillac's back was giving problems but it could be just as simple as he didn't stretch or warm-up properly (as he claimed was the reason for his problems in the pre-season). Cadillac appears to be fine as he isn't listed on the team's official injury report. I think his slow start has a lot more to do with how poorly the Bucs have played. I'll make my usual inquiries about this and if I do find something I will report it in my next injury report, but right now I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Which is why you're the only posts I'm putting stock into at this time.

Which is why you're the only posts I'm putting stock into at this time.

I think what is really meant here is...

Please Mr. Trainer Phil, please heal Carnell. While you're at it, please heal his offensive line and give Gruden a heavy dose of Pound-the-Rock juice.

Will Carroll: There's nothing vague here. Sources tell me that Williams has herniated discs in his back. That's much more serious than back spasms, but something that can be managed. I don't know the severity of the herniations, but the Bucs medical staff has a task ahead of them. I think this downgrades Williams a bit in the short term and makes Michael Pittman a must-have handcuff.

Will Carroll: There's nothing vague here. Sources tell me that Williams has herniated discs in his back. That's much more serious than back spasms, but something that can be managed. I don't know the severity of the herniations, but the Bucs medical staff has a task ahead of them. I think this downgrades Williams a bit in the short term and makes Michael Pittman a must-have handcuff.

I wanted to do that and put a link to his face but I am way too lazy to do that...

If he had "mulitple herniated discs" there is no way that Gruden would risk the career of a back that he absolutely loves...he woudlnt be practicing or playing if this were true...

Maybe Caddy withheld how he really felt? He did that last year with the foot..didn't say anything until it got so bad..he had to sit....

"SportsNation Will Carroll: (3:09 PM ET ) There's nothing vague here. Sources tell me that Williams has herniated discs in his back. That's much more serious than back spasms, but something that can be managed. I don't know the severity of the herniations, but the Bucs medical staff has a task ahead of them. I think this downgrades Williams a bit in the short term and makes Michael Pittman a must-have handcuff. "

Big question is how long does he play in pain? If they continue to lose a few games, Tampa would be better off in the long run by sitting him down.

I saw the same show and that "medical expert", let's just say I wouldn't put much fact into what he has to say. A resource yes, but that's it. Caddy had this to say about it,

"Are you kidding?" Caddy inquired. "I never heard that, and I know I never heard anything about having all those disc problems, either."

Cadillac Williams recently denied a report by ESPN2 that Williams has "several herniated discs in his back."

"Are you kidding?" Caddy inquired. "I never heard that, and I know I never heard anything about having all those disc problems, either." Cadillac wasn't on the Bucs' injury report and will start in Week 3.

- Rotoworld

"THAT'S NEWS TO ME: RB Cadillac Williams laughed out loud Friday when he learned of an ESPN2 report that said he has several herniated discs in his back.

"Are you kidding? They really said that?" Williams asked. "I never heard that [report], and I know I never heard anything about having all those disc problems, either. I don't know where they got that."

The report came as part of a fantasy football show, and it later made it onto some fantasy football Web sites.

After practicing Friday, though, Williams made it clear his back is fine and that his recent bout with back spasms is not the result of herniated discs or anything structural.

- Tampa Tribune

Link to Rotoworld

Link to Tampa Tribune

Edited by mhayhurst

Here's my 2 cents on Williams. The Bucs have played two tough teams in Balt and Atlanta. Both teams have great run Def. Also, Williams isn't getting the ball. He got the ball 8 times in game 1 and 15 times in game 2. Last year his 100 + yd games came when he touched the ball at least 20-30 times. Now maybe he isn't getting the ball because he is hurt with his back spasms...who knows, but the guy if he says he is good to go needs to get the ball at least 20-28 times. Take a look at his stats last year. I am going to play him this week because Carolina is having major trouble stopping the run and last year Williams carried the rock 29 times for 112 and 2TDs against the Panthers. For me I am going to give him a pass on these first two games. If he carries the rock at least 20 times and still can't get the yardage and a few TD's then I will think he is definately hurt and that it is serious. But then that's just me. :D