[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

People with major bye week problems

SLGRAF

I see people asking for advice on how to cover byes on their fantasy team, and I understand for some, they have had injuries. But for others, it appears that it only just occurred to them that "Player A" has a bye coming up. When I draft, I look carefully at bye weeks in order to avoid having weeks where I cannot field a full lineup with who I drafted. And during the season, I project future lineups based upon the bye weeks of my players when I consider player moves. Am I weird for doing this?

I wouldnt assume that "it just occurs to them" ..... injuries have a huge impact on rosters and I would guess that this is the underlying reason for Bye week mayhem.

We are heading into week 6....id bet that probably 90% (if not more) of teams have made some roster moves since draft day....to fill in for injuries or cover for drafted players that havent performed as expected.

When that happens you gotta grab the best available, even if it conflicts with a Bye down the road.

Now if you draft 4 WR's who are all on BYE the same week...well then you are an idiot. :D

Not weird, but often the best laid plans aren't always going to come to fruition. You may have drafted certain players and had the bye weeks covered. But as the season goes along, that drafted player has underachieved or been injured and you drop or trade him for the hot WW pickup of the week or with another league member and then you aren't looking at the bye week implications as much as you are trying to get the most valuable player you can at the time.

Let's say you have Fitzgerald. He hasn't played all that great, a rookie QB comes in and now he's hurt. So you need to pickup someone. Are you going to pass on a player like Cotchery or Bryant Johnson just because they have the same bye week? They could still help your team before and after that week. Maybe the best player you can get happens to have the same bye. So do you pass and let another league member grab him and subsequently take the chance of him beating you with that player?

Many things can determine what happens and how prepared we each are during the bye week periods. Some are in our control and some not. When drafting, I too try to field a team that allow for byes, but even on draft day, I will not pass up a player who I think has a greater value than another just because he has the same bye week as another I already have that position. Just my .02.

You know, unless my add/drops are expensive or strictly limited for the year, I completely ignore bye weeks altogether when drafting. I used not to, but I add/drop so many players, it's never a great concern. I'm willing to give up on a position for a week for a better roster at playoff time.

When I draft I always LOOK AT MY BYE WEEKS .. Im in first place 4-1 and this week I play my wifes aunt and she has 7 players off this week and is 1-4 . it never hurts to do a little extra work during your draft so you miss the hell of bye weeks !!!! :D

It's worse this year with 6 teams out in Weeks 6 and 7. What the hell is the NFL thinking??

Because the NFL cut back on one week of byes this season. This is due to the fact that starting on Thanksgiving night the NFL will have games every Thu and Sat night to finish out the season. They will also be picking which games they will play on Sat. as the season goes. IE if the sceduled Sat game is a crap matchup, then it will be switched to Sun and a better matchup will play on Sat night.

Because the NFL cut back on one week of byes this season. This is due to the fact that starting on Thanksgiving night the NFL will have games every Thu and Sat night to finish out the season. They will also be picking which games they will play on Sat. as the season goes. IE if the sceduled Sat game is a crap matchup, then it will be switched to Sun and a better matchup will play on Sat night.

So bye weeks run 3-9 this year? I thought it was 3-10 again, just that they loaded up these two weeks to have more teams available towards the end

i agree that it doesn't hurt to know who's on bye when you're drafting. i usually always do...but for some reason in one of my leagues i didn't realize until 3/4 of the way through the draft that 3 of my first 4 WR's had the same bye (week 5). that actually changed the way i finished my draft.

When I draft I always LOOK AT MY BYE WEEKS .. Im in first place 4-1 and this week I play my wifes aunt and she has 7 players off this week and is 1-4 . it never hurts to do a little extra work during your draft so you miss the hell of bye weeks !!!! :D

I can't pass this up - sorry... but you're bragging about being 4-1 in the same line you tell us you're playing your wife's aunt? :bash::D

Ah. That makes sense. Must be sort of freeing in a way, not having to put in waiver claims every single week.

Makes things interesting... I usually wouldn't have drafted 2 kickers b/c I would have been able to cover Indi's bye week later... glad I did with Vinatieiri getting hurt. We also do it this way making it sort of mandatory to be done in person - get's us out of the house an extra 4 times a year. :D - besides, the comish doesn't make enough $ to do that much work.

Edited by pzarvell