[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just finished a great book

Fatman

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display...n=9780307265432

The first time I've read McCarthy, but it definitely won't be the last. Story of a father and son trying to survive in a world that has been destroyed by nuclear war. Not much of a sci-fi story, much more the tale of two people who only have each other. McCarthy paints a horribly bleak picture but makes it compelling enough for you to want to go on. Very powerful stuff about the love of a father and son.

Anyone else read it?

I've heard that his two latest works are both very different than everythign else that he's written. I'm planning on picking up something else by him, I just haven't decided what yet.

Skins - drop me a PM when you finish The Road, if you like. I'd be interested to hear what you think.

Also, looks like the film version of No Country for Old Men just finished shooting. Directed by the Coens...

http://imdb.com/title/tt0477348/

I told you to read No Country for Old Men months ago, goober.

Yeah, I know. It's buried on my list. :D I'm getting my fill of reading with Norton's Anthology of American Lit volumes C-E this semester. :D I can't wait to have time to read something of my own choosing. :bash:

Yeah, I know. It's buried on my list. :D I'm getting my fill of reading with Norton's Anthology of American Lit volumes C-E this semester. :D I can't wait to have time to read something of my own choosing. :bash:

I forgot you were getting yer learn on. Sorry. You are excused. I told you it was something you'd like, though, and it is. Not long or deep reading, but excellent. Go grab it and thank me by being an A student.

Oh, and go tell those ninnies in the disturbing thread we shouldnt lock up Americans without due process.

Edited by skins

just cruised by borders and picked up No Country for Old Men and Blood Meridian. Now which one to read first. :D

No Country for Old Men. It is a lot easier read and Blood Meridian is heavy heavy heavy. Get yer feet wet with McCarthy then dive in head first.

No Country for Old Men. It is a lot easier read and Blood Meridian is heavy heavy heavy. Get yer feet wet with McCarthy then dive in head first.

Speaking of diving in head first, I would love to dive in head first to VQ2's avy :D

And if you guys want to get really serious, try Blood Meridian by McCarthy.

One of the most grim, poetic and unique novels I have ever read.

I dropped by Amazon today and read about several of McCarthy's books - Blood Meridian looks very interesting. I added it to my list along with The Road, No Country for Old Men and The Border Trilogy.

It'll be a refreshing change of pace from the bitter lesbian poetry I am reading now. :D

It'll be a refreshing change of pace from the bitter lesbian poetry I am reading now.

Perhaps this verse refutes Neutron's assertion that McCarthy's yammering has anything on the genre of bitter lesbian poetry ...

BAN MAN --

If walking erect's what God selects,

Be it hairless on back and blessed with a rack.

Sporting a dong is simply soooo wrong --

Perfection is lipstick, not some goofy dipstick.

One of the voices in my head wrote that just for this occassion -- I think my feminine side is a lesbian ... though she's typically more lipstick than bitter ... I think she was just trying to be helpful.

EDIT: you can't substitute "oscar meyer" for slang in the midst of POETRY!! :D Had to adjust my art to fit within the oppression!! Bah- typical conservative censorship ... the outrage ... :D

Edited by Donutrun Jellies

• 6 months later...

On my night table. McCarthy is one of America's greatest living writers and I have enjoyed all of his other books immensely.

His last book No Country for Old Men was very different from all of his previous work but great. I understand this new one is very different also. Most of his other stuff is set in the South and West in the past.

Loved The Road, didn't care all that much for No Country for Old Men - seemed mailed in for a writer like McCarthy. The Border Trilogy was very good. Blood Meridian was fantastic.

Thanks again, skinsy - excellent recommendation. :D