[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just finished a great book

Fatman

Loved The Road, didn't care all that much for No Country for Old Men - seemed mailed in for a writer like McCarthy. The Border Trilogy was very good. Blood Meridian was fantastic.

Thanks again, skinsy - excellent recommendation. :D

Now get Big Bad Love by Larry Brown, some Jim Harrison, some James Crumley, and you will have the tough guys covered. All of those guys are great writers.

If you want a very interesting football book, try End Zone by Don DeLillo. He is one of the greatest American writers, and it is his second book. He wrote it in the early 70's and it takes place at a little Texas college. The protagonist is a philosophical ball player. I really enjoyed it. His other stuff gets way way out there, though Underworld is one of the best novels of the last 15 years.

Probably my favorite football novel.

Edited by skins

Now get Big Bad Love by Larry Brown, some Jim Harrison, some James Crumley, and you will have the tough guys covered. All of those guys are great writers.

If you want a very interesting football book, try End Zone by Don DeLillo. He is one of the greatest American writers, and it is his second book. He wrote it in the early 70's and it takes place at a little Texas college. The protagonist is a philosophical ball player. I really enjoyed it. His other stuff gets way way out there, though Underworld is one of the best novels of the last 15 years.

Probably my favorite football novel.

I'll queue these up on my Amazon account - thanks. I'll have a "skins" section in my little library before long. :D

Anybody read this guy? I've got this book and several others of his lined up to read after this semester. It's reportedly fascinating stuff. :D

• 10 months later...
And if you guys want to get really serious, try Blood Meridian by McCarthy.

One of the most grim, poetic and unique novels I have ever read.

Finished Blood Meridian a couple of weeks ago...wow. Can't say I've ever read anything like it. Certainly passages that I didn't care to read twice. McCarthy's style to me is amazing in the fact that you keep reading even though there's nothing to hope for - Blood Meridian was oppressive in its brutality but I kept wanting to go on. Similar to The Road, I guess.

Anyone care to speculate with me as to what happens at the end of Meridian? I've heard a couple of theories and would be interested to hear some more.

haven't read meridian but the road brought me to tears by the end. i was mentally drained after reading it.

Me too...I've re-read the last 20 pages of The Road on their own and cried again...amazing book. I gave it to my dad to read and it took him almost two months to finish...a lot to fight through. Very worth it, however.

ETA: And Blood Meridian is a VERY different book. Don't expect the same experience if you do decide to read it.

Edited by Fatman

• 6 months later...

Quick question. I was always a TV is better then reading guy until recently. I just started enjoying how great a good book can be. The deepest book I've read though has been either Chocolat or the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. With that being said will Blood Meridian be too deep or in depth for a novice reader? If so any good suggestions?

Quick question. I was always a TV is better then reading guy until recently. I just started enjoying how great a good book can be. The deepest book I've read though has been either Chocolat or the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. With that being said will Blood Meridian be too deep or in depth for a novice reader? If so any good suggestions?

I would not recommend Blood Meridian...it is an amazing book but very taxing: dense language and absolutely brutal content.

Check out the Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth. It's a thriller about a plot to assassinate the president of France in the sixties. Great pace and an enjoyable read.

ETA: As this post began, I would recommend The Road. It's often described as McCarthy's most "accessible" book.

Edited by Fatman

I would not recommend Blood Meridian...it is an amazing book but very taxing: dense language and absolutely brutal content.

ETA: As this post began, I would recommend The Road. It's often described as McCarthy's most "accessible" book.

Good call, Fatman.

Try The Life of Pi by Martel. It's both and easy read and thought provoking. I think most would enjoy it.

• 1 month later...