[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jerry Porter

MERLINS

ESPN.com reports Oakland Raiders WR Jerry Porter has been suspended by head coach Art Shell for four games for conduct detrimental to the team. The suspension will likely be appealed by the NFL Player's Union and will cost Porter slightly more than $235,000 in salary.

This is and has been a joke. What a waste of talent, he was supposed to be waiting for his chance to shine after T Brown and J Rice left................

It seems TO is not the only WR with damaging effects on his team. :D

Here is the full article for anyone that actually cares, but it sounds like this has more to do with Shell being a stubborn ineffective coach than Jerry Porter being detrimental to the team.

Raiders suspend Porter for 4 games

By JOSH DUBOW - AP Sports Writer

2006-10-14 14:58

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) -The Oakland Raiders suspended disgruntled wide receiver Jerry Porter for four games without pay Saturday for conduct detrimental to the team.

Porter, Oakland's leading receiver a year ago, was inactive for the first four games of the season after clashing with new coach Art Shell and making public a trade demand at the start of training camp.

``It's crazy,'' Porter said of his situation earlier this week. ``I pretty much stay quiet and do what I'm asked. What am I supposed to do? I'm playing the cards the way they're dealt to me.''

The Raiders were traveling to Denver on Saturday for Sunday night's game against the Broncos and unavailable for comment on the decision to suspend Porter.

Porter has been working with the scout team in practice, falling behind unheralded receivers Alvis Whitted and Johnnie Morant on the depth chart as Oakland opened the season 0-4. Whitted, who took Porter's spot in the starting lineup, has six catches for 70 yards, while Morant has no catches as the team's fourth receiver.

Porter has been on the sideline during the four losses to open the season, often seen joking around while the Raiders have struggled on offense without him.

Some players have questioned the decision to sit Porter while the team has struggled mightily on offense, but Shell has stuck to the decision. Shell has refused to elaborate on why Porter has been inactive.

``He's working. It's not that he's not working,'' Shell said earlier this week. ``I've never said he hasn't worked. He's doing what he's asked to do and you can't ask for anything more than that.''

Porter, in the second year of a five-year contract worth $20 million, had been hoping to be dealt before Tuesday's trade deadline.

Porter led the Raiders with 76 catches last season and had 942 yards receiving and five touchdown receptions in 2005.

Porter, a second-round pick out of West Virginia in 2000, has 239 catches for 3,215 yards and 24 touchdowns in six seasons with the Raiders. He has never reached 1,000 yards receiving in a season, missing the mark narrowly with 998 yards in 2004 and 942 last season.

Porter will be eligible to return from the suspension Nov. 12 when the Raiders host the Broncos.

Not that I condone Porter's behavior, but I'd be making it clear that I wanted to be traded away from that mess of a franchise as well.

Why would a player who is not playing not want to be traded to a team that will play him? At this point there isnt a worse team he could go to so any trade is a good one for him and the Raiders.

Porter simply wants traded and has said so since training camp. Shell is a f'ing idiot of a coach and the Raiders franchise is in the worst shape of it's storied history.

I don't blame Porter a bit for appealing for a trade, but Shell is a horses ass, so there you have it.

I've seen it since the beginning of training camp. Porter could have done something to clean up his image during camp. He was portrayed negatively by the media who is always looking to do a negative story. Porter, instead of being smart about it never tried to fix his public perception.

I do think the media has caught on that the Raiders coaches and management are squandering their players talent with poor decisions. This is helping people to warm to Porters side. That team needs an overhaul starting from the top down, but I am happy that the other team from the Bay was able to put it to them last week.

Edited by mitpdub

Why would a player who is not playing not want to be traded to a team that will play him? At this point there isnt a worse team he could go to so any trade is a good one for him and the Raiders.

Well, he WOULD be playing for the Raiders if he WANTED to. But he apparently decided earlier this summer that he was going to do whatever it took to get traded elsewhere. At least, that's what all of his actions have suggested.

His actions determined that he'd be sitting, not traded.

The management said they'd be willing to take back most of his signing bonus in an effort to trade him. If he actually wanted to be traded, he would have ponied up the $$$.

His funniest (?) action was when he parked in Al Davis' parking spot. Takes some balls to do it. Of course, he's permanently in the owner's doghouse. Some of you tools still believe it's Art Shell's incompetence...

Porter keeps getting a paycheck minus suspensions and any incentive bonuses he had for games played, started, or stats attained.

If he ever thought he was a really good player that someday may be good enough for the Hall of Fame, the loss of stats will hut his chances.

Only way to hurt him is not via paycheck, but via ego.

Edited by Riffraff

Rotoworld

Jerry Porter's suspension reportedly may be impossible to enforce.

Porter is thought to have been disciplined for asking out loud whether Friday's practice "was going to last three hours" during what team sources described as a "completely disorganized and chaotic" workout session. But a league source told the San Francisco Chronicle that the suspension "won't last a week" after it's reviewed by the league office.

:D Shell is joke, trying to make an example out of a guy for this...............?? He just COMPLETELY lost the team.

His actions determined that he'd be sitting, not traded.

The management said they'd be willing to take back most of his signing bonus in an effort to trade him. If he actually wanted to be traded, he would have ponied up the $$$.

His funniest (?) action was when he parked in Al Davis' parking spot. Takes some balls to do it. Of course, he's permanently in the owner's doghouse. Some of you tools still believe it's Art Shell's incompetence...

Porter keeps getting a paycheck minus suspensions and any incentive bonuses he had for games played, started, or stats attained.

If he ever thought he was a really good player that someday may be good enough for the Hall of Fame, the loss of stats will hut his chances.

Only way to hurt him is not via paycheck, but via ego.

Plus the Raiders told him and his agent BEFORE the draft they were free to find a trade, just pay back that bonus and find one.

No takers. None.

Now, months later and numerous TO-like outbursts and several acts that even Owens wouldn't do (I hate Owens, but the guy would NEVER laugh on the sidelines while his team was losing), he wants to act like he doesn't know why he's not starting?

But hey, holding him accountable for his own actions isn't fun on a Raider/Al Davis/ Art Shell bashing thread!!

You can't blame Art Shell and Al Davis for this. Regardless of whether Porter thinks he got screwed by the Raiders or not, he did sign a new contract, and then he has behaved in a pretty childish manner ever since then.

Deion Branch got into a squabble with the Pats and got traded to the Seahawks, but Deion didn't make a public spectacle of his disenchantment. Thats why the Seahawks felt that maybe this was just an unfortuate case of the wrong person being with the wrong employer, and they decided that it was worthwhile to trade a first rounder for Deion. Teams are out there that need receivers, and they can probably get Porter from the Raiders for a TON less than it cost the Seahawks to get Branch.

The reason that this isn't happening?--Porter has convinced most of the NFL that he is a cancer in the locker room.

Porter simply wants traded and has said so since training camp. Shell is a f'ing idiot of a coach and the Raiders franchise is in the worst shape of it's storied history.

I don't blame Porter a bit for appealing for a trade, but Shell is a horses ass, so there you have it.

you act like Shell actually has a say in all this :D It's the Al Davis show bud. Art Shell couldn't trade, sit, play or even suspend Porter without Davis's consent.

Make no mistake; it's Al Davis behind the curtain pulling the stings on this one. Al will probably watch OAK lose again while getting his air (and food) through tubes all the while thinking he can turn things around. Or maybe he's just senile and thinks he's winning.

honestly, who cares anymore? seriously? OAK is like watching the worst team in the CFL. Nobody even gives a crap anymore. Porter will rot until the undead are vanquished.

I just traded for him - I hate the Raiders so much I thought I would pick him up and hope he gets traded - Anyone the has the nads to park in Al Davis' parking spot is ok with me. Raider Nation SUCKS!

um....i might need another manager next year..you in?

You can't blame Art Shell and Al Davis for this. Regardless of whether Porter thinks he got screwed by the Raiders or not, he did sign a new contract, and then he has behaved in a pretty childish manner ever since then.

Deion Branch got into a squabble with the Pats and got traded to the Seahawks, but Deion didn't make a public spectacle of his disenchantment. Thats why the Seahawks felt that maybe this was just an unfortuate case of the wrong person being with the wrong employer, and they decided that it was worthwhile to trade a first rounder for Deion. Teams are out there that need receivers, and they can probably get Porter from the Raiders for a TON less than it cost the Seahawks to get Branch.

The reason that this isn't happening?--Porter has convinced most of the NFL that he is a cancer in the locker room.

you're way off here. He DID make a public spectacle of the entire situation. He filed grievances and everything. He was VERY outspoken and very public regarding this. And for the record, I support him AND his decision. So i'm not against him here. Talking about Deion Branch of course.

Sure, he didn't laugh on the sidelines while they were losing, but seriously, there's only one player that would do that, I guess.

SEA dealt for him because they knew he was worthy. Someone would deal for Porter too, ESPECIALLY after seeing how terrible the coaching staff is for OAK. The way it looks to any outsider is: Porter realized in the off season OAK had no chance, and they're going to be the joke of the NFL. He wanted a trade. Davis took this personally and instead of being a level headed head coach (which is what he thinks he is) he engaged in a pissing match and decided to show Poter who's the boss. At the expense of the well being of the Raiders, of course. Porter took THIS personally and joined in the pissing match.

Edited by LooGie

Porter realized in the off season OAK had no chance, and they're going to be the joke of the NFL. He wanted a trade. Davis took this personally and instead of being a level headed head coach (which is what he thinks he is) he engaged in a pissing match and decided to show Poter who's the boss. At the expense of the well being of the Raiders, of course. Porter took THIS personally and joined in the pissing match.

Except your wrong in a few points. Porter had an attuitude problem last year as well, as soon as they picked Moss. Then he underwhlemed on the field. Then he demanded a trade, and the Raiders granted him permission to find one with the condition that he pay back his bonus. And there have been no teams interested in him. Since before the draft. Why do you think that is?

And then Porter turned it up several notches into uber primadonna status, and people want to criticize a team for takign a stand against this type behavior. Much like Philli sending Owens home last year, anytime a team standing up to this as opposed to kissing his ass in the name of a chance to win should be applauded.

I know it's hard for fans of lesser teams :D to resist kicking us while we're down, though.

Porter is a cancer on the Raiders and needs to be release plain and simple. Unfortunately he is under a hefty contract. Davis needs to take his lumps, and trade Porter for the 7th round pick that he's worth right now and move on.

I don't blame Art Shell for the absolute joke this team has become, and I won't even blame Al Davis. And trust me, I'm not a fan of Davis. The talent that this team has, needs to play to their potential and to the level of their paychecks.

Aaron Brooks has looked like garbage. But in his defense, what's he supposed to do behind that line?!? You could put Peyton Manning back there and he'd look just as bad.

Robert Gallery is probably the worst offensive tackle in the league. He's earning premium $$$ for some of the worst blocking I've seen in my life. It was a great pick a couple years ago, but hey it happens. People bust. See *Mario Williams HOU DE.

Randy Moss is the biggest cancer on this team right now. I'm not complaining about him, or saying that he is openly hurting the team. But he doesn't fit the mold of what a rebuilding franchise needs. He's a primadonna past his time. Doesn't show any hustle or effort to make any catches, and he can't run with the best of the best anymore. It's time to deal him while he still has that big name potential. We could possibly get a 2nd rounder, maybe 1st!

I could go all the way down the roster, but I'll stick with the 3 major ones I'm seeing.