[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tiki Barber To Retire After This Year

Primetime9287

"Grampa Tiki why didn't you win a superbowl like Ronde?"

I'll bet if they get close he'll come back. Retiring is forever. Sure he can rationalize and say he had a great career, but he wants the trophy too.

Edited by Randall

As a Tiki and Giants fan I really hope he decides to play one more season. He is clearly still on top of his game, a class act and excellent role model. I'm really hoping for his sake, that his post career opportunities he wants to chase are not inolving his acting or radio abilities.

no way he reitires after this year

Tiki is gone in my view. He mentioned this a couple years ago. Like Robert Smith, Tiki has other things he wants to pursue.

Tiki Barber is one of the games best, best of men, a truly great guy...the guy has given so much money to help those without, has carried himself with dignity and class, has dedicated his own valuable time to making the lives of others better. He's a hell of a person and a hell of a football player.

While I love watching him play, I also know that he knows he has other callings in life and I wish him the very best in following that dream.

That being said, move Jacobs up on your 07 draft list.

What Tiki has done for a guy his size touching the ball as much as he has done is nothing short of amazing - and right up there with CuMar if not for as long. Kudos to him on a great career & being a class act. He put up magnificent stats and always has given 100%. If anyone rightfully deserves a break from the violent game he plays & the abuse it heaps upon a body, Barber is right at the top of the list.

Tiki Barber is one of the games best, best of men, a truly great guy...the guy has given so much money to help those without, has carried himself with dignity and class, has dedicated his own valuable time to making the lives of others better. He's a hell of a person and a hell of a football player.

+1

Since Tiki was on Fox News' morning program on Tuesdays this summer, I'm wondering if they're holding a spot open for him next year. :D

I've actually wanted to call into his Sirius show and ask him why he thinks after 10 years, he just keeps getting better?

He's been ok, to good, to great, to phenomenal. It just seems that he either gets faster, gets better blockers or sees the field better.

Anyone have any theories?

Tiki is gone in my view. He mentioned this a couple years ago. Like Robert Smith, Tiki has other things he wants to pursue.

While I love watching him play, I also know that he knows he has other callings in life and I wish him the very best in following that dream.

I think he will retire also but the only way I'd say 100% he retires is if they win the Super Bowl this year.

He has a bright future away from the field but man, he doesn't show any signs of slowing down.

Hope he sticks around.

Brandon Jacobs, come on down!

Do you think he can be an every down back?

Tiki was just on NFL Live saying he wants to accomplish a few things-a Superbowl win, a certain number of yards.

Edited by Randall

If you live in NYC, you know he's on every other freakin' commercial around here. The guy is more than a football player in New York, he is truly a celebrity and a humanitarian. I hope more than anything it's an appeal to management that he's getting tired and can no longer be a workhorse back. I see him moving into a Vet role and helping to develop some players and coming in on key downs.

That being said, move Tiki down your lists for next year and beyond. I think that's a safe bet.

I've actually wanted to call into his Sirius show and ask him why he thinks after 10 years, he just keeps getting better?

He's been ok, to good, to great, to phenomenal. It just seems that he either gets faster, gets better blockers or sees the field better.

Anyone have any theories?

See the 'Roids thread. :D

Tiki to the HOF?

10yrs (including the first five games of this season)

9320 rushing yards

4.7 YPC

50 TDs

550 receptions

4908 receiving yards

8.9 YPR

12 TDs

14,228 yards from scrimmage

62 TDs

Compare that to all the HOF RBs from the 'modern era' (i.e., played at least a portion of their career after 1970):

Marcus Allen ... 16 seasons ... 12,243 yards rushing (4.1 YPC), 5,411 yards receiving (9.2 YPR), 17,654 total yards and 144 total TDs

Earl Campbell ... 8 seasons ... 9407 yards rushing (4.3 YPC), 806 yards receiving (6.7 YPR), 10,213 total yards and 74 total TDs

Larry Czonka ... 11 seasons ... 8081 yards rushing (4.3 YPC), 820 yards receiving (7.7 YPR), 8,101 total yards and 68 total TDs

Eric Dickerson ... 11 seasons ... 13,259 yards rushing (4.4 YPC), 2,137 yards receiving (7.6 YPR), 15,396 total yards and total 96 TDs

Tony Dorsett ... 12 seasons ... 12,739 yards rushing (4.3 YPC), 3,554 yards receiving (8.9 YPR), 16,293 total yards and total 90 TDs

Franco Harris ... 13 seasons ... 12,120 yards rushing (4.1 YPC), 2,287 yards receiving (7.4 YPR), 14,407 total yards and 100 total TDs

Leroy Kelly ... 10 seasons ... 7274 yards rushing (4.2 YPC), 2281 yards receiving (12.0 YPR), 9,555 total yards and 87 total TDs

Walter Payton ... 13 seasons ... 16,726 yards rushing (4.4 YPC), 4,538 yards receiving (9.2 YPR), 21,264 total yards and 125 total TDs

John Riggins ... 14 seasons ... 11,352 yards rushing (3.9 YPC), 2090 yards receiving (8.4 YPR), 13,442 total yards and 116 total TDs

Barry Sanders ... 10 seasons ... 15,269 yards rushing (5.0 YPC), 2,921 yards receiving (8.2 YPR), 18,190 total yards and 109 total TDs

Gayle Sayers ... 7 seasons ... 4956 yards rushing (5.0 YPC), 1307 yards receiving (11.7 YPR), 6,263 total yards and 48 total TDs

OJ Simpson ... 11 seasons ... 11,236 yards rushing (4.7 YPC), 2142 yards receiving (10.6 YPR), 13,376 total yards and 75 total TDs

...Tiki's career stats fit right in with these guys...

Food for thought.

As much as I like Tiki, there's no way in hell that he gets into the HOF. Too many of his peers (Bettis, C-Mart, Faulk, LT, Alexander, Edge) have much better numbers (or will have by the time that they retire). To get into Canton as a RB, you're going to have to be in the 12,000 rushing yd/90 TD range.

Edited by Bill Swerski

As much as I like Tiki, there's no way in hell that he gets into the HOF. Too many of his peers (Bettis, C-Mart, Faulk, LT, Alexander, Edge) have much better numbers (or will have by the time that they retire). To get into Canton as a RB, you're going to have to be in the 12,000 rushing yd/90 TD range.

If he keeps his current pace for the rest of this year and in fact does call it quits after this year's over, he'll have approximately 10,500 rushing yards and about 5,300 receiving ... and given that over the last decade or so, so much of the traditional rushing game has been turned into dump and swing passes ... and (frankly) Tiki has done that part of being a RB better and longer than any other of his contemporaries (he's will have averaged 60 receptions / yr for a decade).

Now, I'm not saying that CuMar, Faulk, LT, SA, Bettis, et.al. aren't going to get in (or that Tiki will get in before these guys do) ... just that Barber has been a very productive RB for a long time ... and, his stats will stack up well vs. those already in.

At his current pace for this season, he'll end the year with nearly 16,000 combined rush/receiving yards, and the only current HOF RBs with more are Walter Payton, Marcus Allen and Barry Sanders. That's good company. And, maybe good enough company to get him in the HOF.

Tiki to the HOF?

10yrs (including the first five games of this season)

9320 rushing yards

4.7 YPC

50 TDs

550 receptions

4908 receiving yards

8.9 YPR

12 TDs

14,228 yards from scrimmage

62 TDs

Compare that to all the HOF RBs from the 'modern era' (i.e., played at least a portion of their career after 1970):

Marcus Allen ... 16 seasons ... 12,243 yards rushing (4.1 YPC), 5,411 yards receiving (9.2 YPR), 17,654 total yards and 144 total TDs

Earl Campbell ... 8 seasons ... 9407 yards rushing (4.3 YPC), 806 yards receiving (6.7 YPR), 10,213 total yards and 74 total TDs

Larry Czonka ... 11 seasons ... 8081 yards rushing (4.3 YPC), 820 yards receiving (7.7 YPR), 8,101 total yards and 68 total TDs

Eric Dickerson ... 11 seasons ... 13,259 yards rushing (4.4 YPC), 2,137 yards receiving (7.6 YPR), 15,396 total yards and total 96 TDs

Tony Dorsett ... 12 seasons ... 12,739 yards rushing (4.3 YPC), 3,554 yards receiving (8.9 YPR), 16,293 total yards and total 90 TDs

Franco Harris ... 13 seasons ... 12,120 yards rushing (4.1 YPC), 2,287 yards receiving (7.4 YPR), 14,407 total yards and 100 total TDs

Leroy Kelly ... 10 seasons ... 7274 yards rushing (4.2 YPC), 2281 yards receiving (12.0 YPR), 9,555 total yards and 87 total TDs

Walter Payton ... 13 seasons ... 16,726 yards rushing (4.4 YPC), 4,538 yards receiving (9.2 YPR), 21,264 total yards and 125 total TDs

John Riggins ... 14 seasons ... 11,352 yards rushing (3.9 YPC), 2090 yards receiving (8.4 YPR), 13,442 total yards and 116 total TDs

Barry Sanders ... 10 seasons ... 15,269 yards rushing (5.0 YPC), 2,921 yards receiving (8.2 YPR), 18,190 total yards and 109 total TDs

Gayle Sayers ... 7 seasons ... 4956 yards rushing (5.0 YPC), 1307 yards receiving (11.7 YPR), 6,263 total yards and 48 total TDs

OJ Simpson ... 11 seasons ... 11,236 yards rushing (4.7 YPC), 2142 yards receiving (10.6 YPR), 13,376 total yards and 75 total TDs

...Tiki's career stats fit right in with these guys...

Food for thought.

A lot of those guys didnt play 16 game seasons either.

Tiki=Extremley good

Not great.

If he keeps his current pace for the rest of this year and in fact does call it quits after this year's over, he'll have approximately 10,500 rushing yards and about 5,300 receiving ... and given that over the last decade or so, so much of the traditional rushing game has been turned into dump and swing passes ... and (frankly) Tiki has done that part of being a RB better and longer than any other of his contemporaries (he's will have averaged 60 receptions / yr for a decade).

Now, I'm not saying that CuMar, Faulk, LT, SA, Bettis, et.al. aren't going to get in (or that Tiki will get in before these guys do) ... just that Barber has been a very productive RB for a long time ... and, his stats will stack up well vs. those already in.

At his current pace for this season, he'll end the year with nearly 16,000 combined rush/receiving yards, and the only current HOF RBs with more are Walter Payton, Marcus Allen and Barry Sanders. That's good company. And, maybe good enough company to get him in the HOF.

I agree that he's close, but you can't compare what Tiki does in the era of pass-oriented offenses and small linebackers to what Larry Czonka and Jim Brown did. You have to compare him to what his peers did. And given that his peers are Faulk, LT, Alexander, Bettis, and C-Mart, I think that he's going to have a difficult time. The HOF voters are going to have to draw a line somewhere and I think that Tiki will probably be the odd man out. Even Thurman Thomas (~16,500 total yds and many more TDs) currently looks like an odd-man-out. JMO. FWIW, Marshall Faulk said that he needs two more years on NFL Network last night. I agree.

I hope I'm wrong, though. Tiki's awesome. And I hope that he plays another year or two, wins a ring, and puts up the career numbers to get in.

I agree that he's close, but you can't compare what Tiki does in the era of pass-oriented offenses and small linebackers to what Larry Czonka and Jim Brown did. You have to compare him to what his peers did. And given that his peers are Faulk, LT, Alexander, Bettis, and C-Mart, I think that he's going to have a difficult time. The HOF voters are going to have to draw a line somewhere and I think that Tiki will probably be the odd man out. Even Thurman Thomas (~16,500 total yds and many more TDs) currently looks like an odd-man-out. JMO.

IMO the thing that really is sinking his chances are 1) the fact that he was pigeonholed as a "third down back" for the first (nearly) five years of his career, and 2) that he wants to do other things with his life. It's my impression that if there is a tie between two candidates for the HOF, that the guy who gets in most likely was totally sold out to the NFL (i.e., completely sacrificed everything to the football gods), and that's not Tiki.

So, while I think that CuMar was a better back than Tiki (they do have similar ... but not identical ... styles, imo), IF they had identical stats, CuMar would be more likely to get in the HOF because he left his knee out there, whereas Tiki will leave the game walking just fine. Similar argument could be foisted up as to why Bettis and Faulk are more likely to get in that Tiki...

Edited by muck