[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Overthinking kicking starters?

DNorbsODS

Is it really possible to play kickers based on match-up?

I think weather and what field they are playing on matters, but other than looking at those things, I find it very difficult to decide which kicker to play each week.

It doesn't seem like you can use offense/defense match-up logic when deciding what kickers to play.

For example, if a team has a bad offense (or is playing a good defense), they may not get in the endzone, but this may mean 3 field goals for your PK.

If a team has a good offense that always scores TD's, you may get 3-4 XP's and 1 FG a game...

Anyone else see the dilemma?

For example, this week my kickers are Dave Rayner (GB) v. Arizona and Carney v. Baltimore.

Green Bay will probably rack up more points against Arizona than NO will against a tough Baltimore defense, but Carney will be kicking indoors.

I swear kickers are too unpredictable. :D

Kickers are very unpredictable. I guess the best thing to look at is how your kickers team ends up scoring once they are in the red zone; and what % of the time a DEF gives up a TD rather than holding the other team to a FG attempt in the red zone. And, of course your kicker needs to be good. Like Rackers is not a recommended starter, but Gould and Bryant are. My dilemma is Stover v NO and Feely v TB. I will probably just start Feely because BAL offense barely seems like they have chance of getting into FG range against NO. BAL's DEF didn't look as good before their bye week, and they are playing NO this week. But, GB should have no problems scoring (unless they look like CHI did the other week). So, you have a tough choice. It is really a flip of a coin.