[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Romo to start in Dallas

Hugh 0ne

You know what you got with Bledsoe. An immobile QB who has a propensity to get sacked and throw interceptions. He has 206 interceptions to 251 TDs in his career and has never had less than 12 in a season. He already has 8 this season in 6 1/2 games which means he was on pace to have 20 INTs this season and on pace for 18 TDs. He also has 39 fumbles with 1 already this season. Bledsoe had already been sacked 16 times in 6 games. He makes big mistakes at critical times and at this point in his career he's only getting worse NOT better.

(1) It doesn't matter if Bledsoe is getting worse. He's not going to get THAT much worse over the next two months. And it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that he'll be a free agent next year. Nobody's arguing against that. He's also less than a year removed from a 23-TD, 3600 yd season in which he completed 60% of his passes.

(2) Say what you want about Bledsoe's career numbers, but they're still better than Romo's.

(3) Bledsoe has won two AFC Championshp games over the course of his career. I'm not saying that he's Joe Montana or anything, but I'll take him in a playoff game before Tony Freaking Romo. At least he's been there before and knows what it takes to get the job done.

We both agree ... there is a decent chance Romo will run the offense better. There is NO chance Bledsoe will run it better. Sticking with Bledsoe simply because he is a veteran (making rookie mistakes) and there is a chance that Romo will be worse is asinine. With Bledsoe at the helm we have beaten the teams we were supposed to beat - WAS, TEN, HOU and Bledsoe played a very key part in the three losses to the better teams. The better teams continued to pressure Bledsoe until he made a mistake.

You don't demote a QB because his line isn't getting the job done. You work with the line and adjust the pass-blocking schemes. David Carr is in his fifth season as the starter in Houston, despite putting up pathetic numbers. Why? Because the front office and coaching staffs are wise enough to realize that he's not the problem.

And do you really think Bill cares about the media generated QB controversy?

No, but his players most likely do. Do you think that they enjoy the distraction of never-ending media questions about this... ON TOP of T.O. and his bull$hit antics?

Additionally, as I have already stated I have yet to hear ONE Cowboy express concern over the switch - ALL are supportive of the change and Romo (well all except Bledsoe).

Toeing the company line. How convincing... :D

I have also not heard anybody in the Cowboys organization, top to bottom, express concern that this is Bill waving the white flag.

Right, because they'd tell you what they REALLY thought if you simply asked. Because I'm sure that Jerry Jones encourages his employees to undermine his head coach. :D

EVERY single thing I have heard or read says this change was made because the line can't block and Romo gives us a better chance to be competitive because of his mobility.

That's probably the best argument for this. But I'm not buying it because Parcells didn't make much of an effort to gauge how much better Romo would play in regular-season situations. He's played what... two quarters of one game and has played in one or two additional drives? That's not nearly enough playing time for an accurate evaluation. And if Parcells considers turnovers to be the major problem at the QB position, as he said in his interview yesterday, Romo should still be riding the pine.

I may be completely wrong about Romo. He may play MUCH better than Bledsoe in the upcoming weeks. But like I just said, he hasn't earned the job yet. He's done NOTHING to show that he'd be a more effective QB than Bledsoe at this point. That's my major problem with this decision.

Edited by Bill Swerski

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Bill Parcells did this not so much because Bledsoe was playing worse than Romo, but because Romo still has an upside and Parcells wants to get 1-2 good playoff runs in before he hangs them up. Drew Bledsoe is not going to be the guy to do that, he is as good as he is ever going to get. Personally I dont really think Romo will be the guy either, but at least there is a chance in his case that he will improve with more play.

So Parcells is rolling the dice here and hoping that Romo solidifies over the rest of this season.

I think that Bill Parcells did this not so much because Bledsoe was playing worse than Romo, but because Romo still has an upside and Parcells wants to get 1-2 good playoff runs in before he hangs them up. Drew Bledsoe is not going to be the guy to do that, he is as good as he is ever going to get. Personally I dont really think Romo will be the guy either, but at least there is a chance in his case that he will improve with more play.

So Parcells is rolling the dice here and hoping that Romo solidifies over the rest of this season.

Parcells had no choice. Let's see Cowboys vs. Seahawks tied up with 21 seconds left in regulation, Bledsoe throws a pick to loose. Cowboys Vs. Philly going in to tie the game, Bledsoe throws another pick, for six this time. Last week, the D makes a big play and guess what, Bledsoe throws another pick.

How many times can you do this and keep your job. Last week was one too many. You lose the team if you don't do something. You think the D was pleased after watching their effort go for nothing. Worse case senario we have 3 points on the board and it's 12 to 10 going in at half.

When's the last time you watched a team throw 2 pick sixes in consecutive weeks? Anyone, Anyone.

Now we will see if Romo can play because there are no other options.

For most of the season everytime the Cowboys lost and the cry for Romo started I got irritated. It's always been my opinion that Bledsoe is the Cowboys best option if they want to make the playoffs (don't get me wrong, I NEVER thought they had a chance this year at the SB). It's been my opinion (and still is) that Romo will lose more then he will win.

But lets face reality. The O-Line is a piece of crap. It seems to get worse each week. Bledsoe has made his fair share of mistakes, but 75% of them can be laid at the feet of these lazy fat f@cks that are suppose to be protecting him. And because you can't replace them (at least not this year), and Drew is not going to be productive under pressure I guess it was time to make the change to a more mobile QB.

Every team knows how to beat Dallas, attack the line, blitz them hard because the O-Line isn't going to hold, and Bledsoe isn't going to get out of the way. The more pressure you put on him the more mistakes he will make and the better your defense will look. Given the protection Bledsoe can still play, but he doesn't have that time in Dallas. So what do you do? Stick with him and maybe go 8-8, or gamble with a mobile QB. Either way you are not getting to the playoffs, 8-8 isn't going to get you there.

So will Romo get them to the playoffs? NO, not unless the NFC East suddenly collapses, and the Eagles and Giants lose their starting QBs to season ending injuries (Redskins, you'll be experiencing the QB change before the year is out, welcome to the club). But he may be entertaining, and it will finally put all the questions about his ability to rest. By the end of the year Dallas will know if they have their future QB, a decent backup, or just another in a long line of QB busts.

So let the Romo era begin, it will be at times painful (Carolina is going to wipe their azzs with Romo) and at times entertaining (after Carolina there's those powerhouse Redskins and Cards), but you know what, I'll still watch them no matter how bad it gets (and trust me, it will get darker before it goes completely black).

:D

No real Cowboy fan could be that attached to Bledsoe. Lets move on!

Exactly...no real Cowboy fan is that attached to Bledsoe, but Romo to me is just a mobile Bledsoe throwing picks instead of a statue throwing picks. I guess it will at least be more entertaining for us Cowboy fans.

Oh, and one more way to beat the 'boyz is just throw to whomever Roy Williams might be covering.

Exactly...no real Cowboy fan is that attached to Bledsoe, but Romo to me is just a mobile Bledsoe throwing picks instead of a statue throwing picks. I guess it will at least be more entertaining for us Cowboy fans.

Oh, and one more way to beat the 'boyz is just throw to whomever Roy Williams might be covering.

I agree on both counts. But at least Roy brings it, when he brings it! :D

I'm thinking that was a very un-Bledsoe like performance. Romo goes into Carolina and has a very strong outing and comes out with a very convincing win.

He spread the ball around, utilizing Witten to a much greater extent than Bledsoe had been. One circus catch interception. The effective passing game opened up the running game and the sustained drives meant the defense was rested and able to make some plays.

Granted it is just one game and Romo is likely to have his share of mistakes. But it was so refreshing to see a QB moving around in the pocket and not taking the sack or throwing the pick. Romo looked much more composed than Bledsoe.

What do you think Bill?

I underestimated Romo. I still think he will make plenty of poor decisions, like almost all QB's in their first extended experience. However, his mobility makes a big difference in that Dallas can release the TE from pass protection more often, his roll-outs keep the DL from just pinning their ears back and meeting at the center of the pocket, and he can sometimes pick up a few yards on his own if the receivers are covered.

I was surprised with the play of Columbo on Peppers, he really kept him in check all night.

Absolutely. Hugh key to the Boys victory. Solid performance by Romo, his mobility was a key, but it also seemed to me that the O-line blocked much better for him than they have for Bledsoe. :D

Absolutely. Hugh key to the Boys victory. Solid performance by Romo, his mobility was a key, but it also seemed to me that the O-line blocked much better for him than they have for Bledsoe. :D

I'm not sure it's the O-line, it is actually Bledsoe. When Bledsoe is in a game, the defensive gameplan is send as many guys up the middle as possible, send more guys than there are blocking.

Defensive coordinators would do this against any QB if it worked, but it doesn't, and you'd end up giving up hugh plays. For Bledsoe, due to his mobility, inability to make quick reads/decisions, and inability to get the ball out quickly, defenses were bringing the house.

Strange comparison, but if the same defensive scheme was run against Brady, he would pick the defense apart because sending more men then are blocking means there are going to be guys open, and he can read that and get the ball to the open guy QUICKLY!!!

Edited by charty

True ... defenses know they can bring pressure and one of two things will happen. Bledsoe will get sacked or he'll throw an interception.

Defenses will now have to think twice about doing that with Romo in the game. Romo will run away from the pressure and hit one of the two TE's for a nice gain or even TO on a slant.

Romo in opens the offense and makes the O-Line look better but Columbo still kicked ass.

I'm thinking that was a very un-Bledsoe like performance. Romo goes into Carolina and has a very strong outing and comes out with a very convincing win.

He spread the ball around, utilizing Witten to a much greater extent than Bledsoe had been. One circus catch interception. The effective passing game opened up the running game and the sustained drives meant the defense was rested and able to make some plays.

Granted it is just one game and Romo is likely to have his share of mistakes. But it was so refreshing to see a QB moving around in the pocket and not taking the sack or throwing the pick. Romo looked much more composed than Bledsoe.

What do you think Bill?

I was pretty impressed with Romo. He looked solid and minimized his mistakes. I also like the way that he utilized Whitten, something that Bledsoe hasn't done at times this season. However, a few things need to be considered...

(1) Dallas' O-line pass-blocked better than they have in a while. When Bears reject Mark Columbo is able to neutralize Peppers, you know that your line is playing well. They weren't "outstanding" and Romo had to move around in the pocket at times, but they gave their QB a much better chance to make plays than they did on Monday night.

(2) Dallas' O-line was able to run-block effectively. This was certainly not the case on Monday, and was a HUGH factor in both QBs turning the ball over (one-dimensional offenses tend to do that).

(3) Carolina shot themselves in the foot on offense and special teams. I give DAL's defense some credit, but Delhomme, Keyshawn, Smith, and Hoover were just awful last night. That puts gives Romo a short field to work with and he isn't under pressure to make big plays when he has the lead.

(4) The INT that you de-emphasize by calling a "circus catch" was a bad decision on Romo's part. There was no "luck" involved on the part of the defense. That said, Romo only throwing one pick against an overrated, but still pretty good CAR defense is impressive for a first start.

Not to take away from Romo, who did a very good job IMO, but the entire Cowboys team played a lot better than they have in a while. IMO, it wouldn't have mattered who started at QB last night because the rest of the squad did their part. But, as I said before, Romo looked good and I don't want to take away from that.

I was pretty impressed with Romo. He looked solid and minimized his mistakes. I also like the way that he utilized Whitten, something that Bledsoe hasn't done at times this season. However, a few things need to be considered...

(1) Dallas' O-line pass-blocked better than they have in a while. When Bears reject Mark Columbo is able to neutralize Peppers, you know that your line is playing well. They weren't "outstanding" and Romo had to move around in the pocket at times, but they gave their QB a much better chance to make plays than they did on Monday night.

(2) Dallas' O-line was able to run-block effectively. This was certainly not the case on Monday, and was a HUGH factor in both QBs turning the ball over (one-dimensional offenses tend to do that).

(3) Carolina shot themselves in the foot on offense and special teams. I give DAL's defense some credit, but Delhomme, Keyshawn, Smith, and Hoover were just awful last night. That puts gives Romo a short field to work with and he isn't under pressure to make big plays when he has the lead.

(4) The INT that you de-emphasize by calling a "circus catch" was a bad decision on Romo's part. There was no "luck" involved on the part of the defense. That said, Romo only throwing one pick against an overrated, but still pretty good CAR defense is impressive for a first start.

Not to take away from Romo, who did a very good job IMO, but the entire Cowboys team played a lot better than they have in a while. IMO, it wouldn't have mattered who started at QB last night because the rest of the squad did their part. But, as I said before, Romo looked good and I don't want to take away from that.

The line looked like they played better because Romo didn't make them hold their blocks as long; i.e. he had a quicker release. When the pocket began to collapse he moved, something Bledsoe couldn't do. With a viable passing game of course the running lanes opened. Also consider that with Bledsoe under center the strategy is to send everybody … that effectively kills the running game too. I do not argue that the interception was the result of a poor decision by Romo, as a rookie he will make some poor decisions.

You couldn't be more wrong … no way does Dallas win with Bledsoe under center. Bledsoe is sack a minimum of five more times and is good for at least 1 more INT. Romo sustained drives that Bledsoe would not have been able to. Lastly it looks like the team as a whole responded better to Romo than they ever did to Bledsoe.

The line looked like they played better because Romo didn't make them hold their blocks as long; i.e. he had a quicker release. When the pocket began to collapse he moved, something Bledsoe couldn't do. With a viable passing game of course the running lanes opened.

To use your words...

You couldn't be more wrong …

I realize that you're a Romo cheerleader, but you have to admit that the O-line did a MUCH better job of neutralizing the blitz last night than they did in the last game. Does Romo's quicker release help? Of course. But that doesn't take away from the fact that their line did a much better job of protecting the QB AND establishing the run.

If you compared the pass protection in the Giants game to that of last night's game, it's obvious Romo had a lot more time to throw last night. And it's reflected in Romo's relative lack of turnovers.

no way does Dallas win with Bledsoe under center. Bledsoe is sack a minimum of five more times and is good for at least 1 more INT.

With Delhomme throwing bad passes and fumbling the ball, Keyshawn dropping good passes, and Smith and Hoover fumbling returns, it wouldn't have mattered who was playing QB last night. The Dallas offense had a short field due to turnovers in THREE of those TD drives. I can accept the argument that they might not have won by AS MUCH with Bledsoe behind center, but I'm pretty sure that Bledsoe could've handed the ball off to Barber for TDs in two of those 4th quarter short-field drives. Those scores were gifts from Carolina's poor play.

Edited by Bill Swerski

To use your words...

I realize that you're a Romo cheerleader, but you have to admit that the O-line did a MUCH better job of neutralizing the blitz last night than they did in the last game. Does Romo's quicker release help? Of course. But that doesn't take away from the fact that their line did a much better job of protecting the QB AND establishing the run.

If you compared the pass protection in the Giants game to that of last night's game, it's obvious Romo had a lot more time to throw last night. And it's reflected in Romo's relative lack of turnovers.

With Delhomme throwing bad passes and fumbling the ball, Keyshawn dropping good passes, and Smith and Hoover fumbling returns, it wouldn't have mattered who was playing QB last night. The Dallas offense had a short field due to turnovers in THREE of those TD drives. I can accept the argument that they might not have won by AS MUCH with Bledsoe behind center, but I'm pretty sure that Bledsoe could've handed the ball off to Barber for TDs in two of those 4th quarter short-field drives. Those scores were gifts from Carolina's poor play.

I agree that he had more time to throw against Carolina. I also agree that they would of probably won this game had Bledsoe started. matter of fact ,despite Romo's good showing I still think Bledsoe is the better QB. I just don't feel as strongly about that as I did last week.

Romo looked good as his next game will be interesting to watch for Cowboy fans.

What do you think Bill?

Grits you should be ashamed of yourself. I saw ya pick against us. That was wrong of you. You made Romo and the D mad. Do it again.

Grits you should be ashamed of yourself. I saw ya pick against us. That was wrong of you.

That was shocking and dissappointing

Edited by whomper

I agree that he had more time to throw against Carolina. I also agree that they would of probably won this game had Bledsoe started. matter of fact ,despite Romo's good showing I still think Bledsoe is the better QB. I just don't feel as strongly about that as I did last week.

Romo looked good as his next game will be interesting to watch for Cowboy fans.

That's pretty much how I feel.

Romo's arm/mobility resulted in about 15 of Dallas' points last night (the TD and FG in the second quarter and the FG and two-point conversion in the 4th quarter). That's a decent first-start effort against a relatively good defense, but the other 20 points were basically scored off of Carolina mistakes deep in their own territory.

To use your words...

Not so much a Romo cheerleader as a Bledsoe detractor.

Why did the O-line look better? Because the defense had to respect Romo's ability to move out of the pocket and run or throw. If you send 9 guys against Romo he is going to roll out and either run or hit an open Owens/Glenn/Crayton/Witten. If you send 9 guys against Bledsoe he either gets sacked or throws a pick. It is the same o-line that played Monday night ... the one difference is the guy under center. If you know where the QB is going to be 100% of the time as you do with Bledsoe in his concrete shoes then getting the Dallas QB through this line is not much of a problem. If you don't know where the QB is going to be the the blitz is a bit riskier.

So you are pointing to the o-line and giving them props. I'm saying Romo is the man that made that o-line work, with his mobility and quicker release. With Romo under center Carolina actually had to be concerned with his ability to hit the release guy on an all out blitz. With Bledsoe under center Carolina would not have had to worry about coverage or if Dallas was in a run or pass play ... the defense is simply to get into the back field and get into Bledsoe's face and make him make another mistake. If Dallas happened to be in a run play ... well Carolina would have had enough guys clogging up the middle to make a stop.

As to the short field and poor play of the Panthers. Well, with the Dallas offense able to actually sustain some drives and allow the Dallas defense to rest the defense doesn't get as tired and can actually make some plays. Additionally with the offense scoring some points and avoiding turnovers the defense was able to play with a lead.

Had Bledsoe played last night the Cowboys would have lost the game as soon as Carolina went up 14-0. Bledsoe doesn't handle pressure of any kind well ESPECIALLY if he is having to face a blitz AND his team is behind. Dallas would have been lucky to lose by less than 14 points with Bledsoe under center.

I think you could see the team responding to Romo much better than to Bledsoe as well. With Bledsoe under center the team is continually worried about when he will make yet another critical / stupid mistake.

Why did the O-line look better? Because the defense had to respect Romo's ability to move out of the pocket and run or throw. If you send 9 guys against Romo he is going to roll out and either run or hit an open Owens/Glenn/Crayton/Witten. If you send 9 guys against Bledsoe he either gets sacked or throws a pick. It is the same o-line that played Monday night ... the one difference is the guy under center. If you know where the QB is going to be 100% of the time as you do with Bledsoe in his concrete shoes then getting the Dallas QB through this line is not much of a problem. If you don't know where the QB is going to be the the blitz is a bit riskier.

That didn't stop them from trying. The difference was that Dal's O-line did a better job of protecting their QB last night. Just look at the difference between Romo's play in the two games. He was running for his life and threw three picks against the Giants. They couldn't run the ball to save their lives, so the Giants did nothing BUT blitz. Last night, however, Romo wasn't scrambling out of the pocket every time he was throwing. Jesus, Peppers didn't have a single sack last night! And that's ALL because of Romo's mobility and quick release? Bull$hit. The entire team only recorded two, as opposed to the two that Romo got in ONE HALF of last week's game with the Giants dropping 7 defenders into coverage.

Did Romo's release and mobility help? Sure, it helped a lot. It also helped that he had more than two seconds to throw the ball this time. And it helped that Dallas was able to establish the run early to keep the defense honest.

As to the short field and poor play of the Panthers. Well, with the Dallas offense able to actually sustain some drives and allow the Dallas defense to rest the defense doesn't get as tired and can actually make some plays.

Dallas could actually sustain drives because they could actually run the ball effectively. That wasn't the case last week. And that's not Romo's doing. The Colts couldn't run the ball effectively against the Giants... not even with the best passing game in the league keeping the safeties deep.

And those turnovers were recorded at the CAR 14, 32, and 19. Two of those are guaranteed FGs at the very least.

Additionally with the offense scoring some points and avoiding turnovers the defense was able to play with a lead.

A lead that they didn't have until the 4th quarter because Romo wasn't exactly setting the world on fire through the air.

Had Bledsoe played last night the Cowboys would have lost the game as soon as Carolina went up 14-0. Bledsoe doesn't handle pressure of any kind well ESPECIALLY if he is having to face a blitz AND his team is behind. Dallas would have been lucky to lose by less than 14 points with Bledsoe under center.

Can I borrow your crystal ball sometime? It'll help me win my fantasy league this year. :D

Seriously, your hatred of Bledose is clouding your mind. Carolina's offense and special teams gave the game away in the 4th quarter. David Carr or Alex Smith could've won that game.

Edited by Bill Swerski

That didn't stop them from trying. The difference was that Dal's O-line did a better job of protecting their QB last night. Just look at the difference between Romo's play in the two games. He was running for his life and threw three picks against the Giants. They couldn't run the ball to save their lives, so the Giants did nothing BUT blitz. Last night, however, Romo wasn't scrambling out of the pocket every time he was throwing. Jesus, Peppers didn't have a single sack last night! And that's ALL because of Romo's mobility and quick release? Bull$hit. The entire team only recorded two, as opposed to the two that Romo got in ONE HALF of last week's game with the Giants dropping 7 defenders into coverage.

Did Romo's release and mobility help? Sure, it helped a lot. It also helped that he had more than two seconds to throw the ball this time. And it helped that Dallas was able to establish the run early to keep the defense honest.

Dallas could actually sustain drives because they could actually run the ball effectively. That wasn't the case last week. And that's not Romo's doing. The Colts couldn't run the ball effectively against the Giants... not even with the best passing game in the league keeping the safeties deep.

And those turnovers were recorded at the CAR 14, 32, and 19. Two of those are guaranteed FGs at the very least.

A lead that they didn't have until the 4th quarter because Romo wasn't exactly setting the world on fire through the air.

Can I borrow your crystal ball sometime? It'll help me win my fantasy league this year. :D

Seriously, your hatred of Bledose is clouding your mind. Carolina's offense and special teams gave the game away in the 4th quarter. David Carr or Alex Smith could've won that game.

So you are telling me that the Dallas O-line that has sucked for the entire year finally figured it out and it had nothing to do with Romo. Yeah right.