[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ronnie Brown vs The Bears D

Venus

Curious to see responses to this. I've got to choose 2 of Brown, M Bell, McAllister, & Norwood and I'm really torn as to which way to go with the matchups/injury factors involved.

i'd go Deuce and MBell.

simple... for both teams to win tough matchups on the road both players need to be involved early and often. I doubt this is isn't in the game plans of Payton and Shanahan.

it helps that TB are very vulnerable on the ground.

M Bell will have to slug it out but will likely see some redzone carries due to PIT's very beatable secondary.

Ronnie Brown is not a STUD. Unless you have very low expectations for your stud RBs...

LT = stud

LJ = stud

Akexander = stud

Tiki = borderline stud

Portsi = bordeline stud

That's it ....IMO.

no...all 5 of them are studs...

very typical responses, based on the apparent mis-matchup. But here is a differing view on this game:

The Dolphins spent the bye-week searching for an identity, and no-doubt examined what has been broken this far this year: the running game. Every pundit out there says Brown should be getting more carries, and starting this week, I think he will, unless the game is a Chicago blow-out early.

Which is where my point comes in: I think this game is going to be much, much closer than most would figure. The Bears struggled before the bye-week vs. Arizona, and were handed the game early by the 49ers last week with a slew of turnovers, and a team that was starting with a "can't stop" defense anyway. that game set itslef up for chicago perfectly.

This week, against what I feel is the best defense they have played this year, I think Chicago's offense bogs down. The only other game against a solid defense was Week 3 vs. Minnesota, a close 19-16 Bears win. Grossman showed us in the Cardinal game that, if a defense can apply pressue and force throws, he will struggle. The Bears rushing attack has been mediocre thus far, even against teams like GB, DET, ARZ, BUF, etc. I can see many 3-and-outs, and some turnovers, generated by the Dolphins.

With these extra posessions, the Phins will not fall behind, and thus will be able to run "their" offense into the 4th quarter, meaning they won't be forced to throw as much as some might think.

Expect Brown to get 20-25 carries, and even at just 3.5 yards a pop, he should be good for 70-85 yards minimum. The upside exists if, like Gore, he can break 2-3 medium runs, too, pushing that total to 90-100. And if, like the PITT game, he can get some touches inside the 5 yard line, he could be gold this week.

My other flex choices to replace him are marginal: Barber, Lundy, Kennison, so I obviously am starting him.

But since I think he'll surprise this week, I'd have started him over Gore, McCallister, Bell, Washington, Jones-Drew, etc. anyway.

As a Bears fan and Brown owner, I have to ask whatcha been smokin'? You simply do not run against the Bears defense, especially at home. Fortunately, the Bears will put up similar numbers this week as they did last week and give Brown a garbage TD late. So he'll probably end up with 30 yards rushing, 30 yards receiving and 1 TD like he usually does and you still get something out of him.

Oh, and don't think the light bulb is going to go off just like that. Sure, Brown should be a 30-carry guy. Why the hell wouldn't he be with someone like Harrington back there. But what do we know?

Nice disclaimer. This only has happened when Chicago has played at home how many times this season?...

hmmmm.... :D

EVERY GAME! :D

Disclaimer? I wrote four paragraphs about why I think the game will be close.

Yes, Chicago has blown out its opponents at home, but as I stated, it has been against less-than-average defensive units, and as a Bear fan, you have to admit everything went right for you in those games.

Don't get me wrong...chances are the Bears win this game easily by two touchdowns. The oddsmakers feel the same way you do, so it is my opinion that is the differing one.

But based on what I mentioned earlier, and the fact that the Bears offense has proven to be mediocre at best against stiffer defenses (see the Minnesota & Arizona games), I see the game as closer than most other pundits.

As a Bears fan and Brown owner, I have to ask whatcha been smokin'? You simply do not run against the Bears defense, especially at home. Fortunately, the Bears will put up similar numbers this week as they did last week and give Brown a garbage TD late. So he'll probably end up with 30 yards rushing, 30 yards receiving and 1 TD like he usually does and you still get something out of him.

Oh, and don't think the light bulb is going to go off just like that. Sure, Brown should be a 30-carry guy. Why the hell wouldn't he be with someone like Harrington back there. But what do we know?

I doubt the Bears put up similar numbers as last week, unless you are COUNTING on a slew of turnovers, which is difficult to predict. If (big if) Miami can protect the ball, Chicago will have a difficult time running the ball themselves, and if they bring the house at Grossman like Arizona did, it'll be very interesting to see how he handles it this time. If memory serves me correct, Grossman was rather pitiful under pressure three weeks ago. It would have been very interesting to see if San Fran would have employed the same "bring the house" strategy, had they not been forced out of their gameplan.

And I'm with you on Brown...if he had a QB that could convert third downs when needed, he would be a 25-30 carry guy. But the fact that they go 3-and-out so often limits his touches to 15-20. This week, I think, they get more posessions in a game in which they are not being blown-out...I still like Chicago to win, but by a lesser margin than most beleive.

Chicago 20, Miami 14...and Brown may get both TDs, a la the Pittsbugh game on opening day.

Ronnie Brown is not a STUD. Unless you have very low expectations for your stud RBs...

LT = stud

LJ = stud

Akexander = stud

Tiki = borderline stud

Portsi = bordeline stud

That's it ....IMO.

:D Portsi ain't a stud until he changes his name to something less feminine.

Has anyone taken the time to see how Joey Harrington fared against CHI when he was in Detroit? He didn't exactly light up Da Bears. I don't see the scenario much different just because he is in a different uniform. If Harrington can't have success, then Ronnie is in for a long day. :D

Edited by junebugz

Since the Fish have basically eliminated every screen, outlet pass or anything else that gets the RB the ball without handing it to him from thier playcalling, I don't hold much hope for Ronnie having a big day. I am forced to start Lundy over him this week.

I have to choose between RBrown, WLundy, Addai, Rhodes, MBell, Norwood ... 1 is required, can start 2 ... if I only start 1 then I must start Greg Jennings (already starting Holt, Housh, Coles).

My first blush was to start Lundy and MBell ... until I heard news out of Denver that TB is running fine ... so now I am considering Lundy and Addai. Still hard to sit Brown coming off a bye week ... but they do face a fearsome Chicago defense.

you're aware that Jennings is still banged up and Coles is on a bye this week?

I have a similar dilemma about Ronnie. I'd like to start him, but I also have Addai or Caddy to consider. Right now, I think I'm going with Caddy

Edited by BlueCrue

Has anyone taken the time to see how Joey Harrington fared against CHI when he was in Detroit? He didn't exactly light up Da Bears. I don't see the scenario much different just because he is in a different uniform. If Harrington can't have success, then Ronnie is in for a long day. :D

in 7 games vs. CHI...

60.1 rating, 55%, 197ypg, 4tds, 10ints, 3 fumbles, 1 lost :D

Edited by kingfish247

:D Portsi ain't a stud until he changes his name to something less feminine.

LT, LJ, Tiki, S.Jackson and Gore are the only studs (must starts each week). There just are that many RBs this year seperating themselves from the pack.

I am starting Jacobs over Brown this week.

Didint Gores decent numbers come mostly from 1 big run ? I could be wrong but I thought that was the case.

12 rushes and 1 was for 53 yds. so 11 rushes for 60yds, still 5y6ds per carry. even if he had 2 big runs then that means he is a stud going against the #1 D (so to speak).

F. Gore is a no brainer start

I suppose he is, as he's likely one of your top 2 RBs, but it would be foolish to think he's going to have a great game against the Vikings run defense.

Sorry about the hijack, please feel free to carry on about Mr Brown. Thank you. :D

very typical responses, based on the apparent mis-matchup. But here is a differing view on this game:

The Dolphins spent the bye-week searching for an identity, and no-doubt examined what has been broken this far this year: the running game. Every pundit out there says Brown should be getting more carries, and starting this week, I think he will, unless the game is a Chicago blow-out early.

Which is where my point comes in: I think this game is going to be much, much closer than most would figure. The Bears struggled before the bye-week vs. Arizona, and were handed the game early by the 49ers last week with a slew of turnovers, and a team that was starting with a "can't stop" defense anyway. that game set itslef up for chicago perfectly.

This week, against what I feel is the best defense they have played this year, I think Chicago's offense bogs down. The only other game against a solid defense was Week 3 vs. Minnesota, a close 19-16 Bears win. Grossman showed us in the Cardinal game that, if a defense can apply pressue and force throws, he will struggle. The Bears rushing attack has been mediocre thus far, even against teams like GB, DET, ARZ, BUF, etc. I can see many 3-and-outs, and some turnovers, generated by the Dolphins.

With these extra posessions, the Phins will not fall behind, and thus will be able to run "their" offense into the 4th quarter, meaning they won't be forced to throw as much as some might think.

Expect Brown to get 20-25 carries, and even at just 3.5 yards a pop, he should be good for 70-85 yards minimum. The upside exists if, like Gore, he can break 2-3 medium runs, too, pushing that total to 90-100. And if, like the PITT game, he can get some touches inside the 5 yard line, he could be gold this week.

My other flex choices to replace him are marginal: Barber, Lundy, Kennison, so I obviously am starting him.

But since I think he'll surprise this week, I'd have started him over Gore, McCallister, Bell, Washington, Jones-Drew, etc. anyway.

Good Call. I started Brown.