[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

what, if any, charities do you donate to?

Azazello1313

so i was just filling out my Combined Federal Campaign slip for next year, picking charities and such, and i was wondering what causes other huddlers find worthy. not interested in amounts, talking about that is tacky. just interested in what groups you try and donate to, and why.

i allocated my 2007 automatic payroll deduction thusly:

40% - worldvision

40% - juvenile diabetes research foundation

20% - national association for music education

diabetes mostly because of my 7 year-old nephew with type-1. music education because i'm a big believer in it, and funding for it has been cut so drastically in most school districts.

in addition to those, i usually make a yearly contribution to the local jazz public radio station, which i guess sorta qualifies (it does for tax purposes).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CDR

In Williamsburg, James City County, York County, and Poquoson, CDR provides services to children aged birth to three who:

* have disabilities or delays in their development

* are at-risk because of very low family income

* have risk factors such as prematurity, teen parents, or parental substance abuse

* need high quality child care and development services

This spring will mark our 3rd year of support for this wonderful organization.

Toys For Tots

we got involved with Toys For Tots initially as a way to help

with Katrina in LA...we raised around 300 Teddy Bears that we

sent to the Baton Rouge Toys For Tots, now we send them to the

local chapter of Toys for Tots.

Local Vol. Fire Dept

they do a thankless job and need all the support they can get

we have also donated to Dream Catchers, Relay For Life and the Susan G Komen Organization

Edited by keggerz

Several.

Red Cross

Humane Society of the US

St. Mary's Catholic Church

Consumer's Union

Vietnam Vets

Just about every local kid that comes to the door! :D

WTH.....I'm a BHL!

Local church.

Whitefield Academy, my daughters' school (we generally give money for scholarships for less fortunate kids that want out of the crappy schools in KCMO)

City Union Mission, a local homeless shelter

Kids Across America, a summer camp for inner city kids

And then other things like Angel Tree (gives Christmas presents to the kids of inmates at Christmas time).

Edited by muck

American Cancer Society - been affected by the disease far too many times

Phi Kappa Psi - my fraternity... not a traditional "charity" per se', but they do plenty of charity work and they're shaping the youth of America :D

Sierra Club - I'm an Earth :D

The past year lots of Katrina relief.

Tipitina's Foundation: this is the New Orleans music foundation of one of the most important historic live music venues in the country. I worked there and it is an amazing place. I give them services and money.

I sit on the board of a performing arts nonprofit and that takes a ton of time and I give to them also.

I give advice--unpaid at this point--to a new nonprofit setup to benefit the families of American servicepeople killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Give a little at church regularly.

In case anybody is looking for charities to give to, Clubfoothead recommends these:

http://www.dod.mil/americasupportsyou/support/help.html

Children of Fallen Soldiers Relief Fund

www.childrenoffallensoldiersrelieffund.org

P.O. Box 3968

Gathersburg, MD 20885

Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund

www.semperfifund.org

825 College Boulevard

Suite 102 PMB 609

Oceanside, CA 92057

Fallen Patriot Fund

www.fallenpatriotfund.org

c/o Bank of America Private Bank

P.O. Box 832409

Dallas, TX 75283-2409

Edited by wiegie

so i was just filling out my Combined Federal Campaign slip for next year, picking charities and such, and i was wondering what causes other huddlers find worthy. not interested in amounts, talking about that is tacky. just interested in what groups you try and donate to, and why.

i allocated my 2007 automatic payroll deduction thusly:

40% - worldvision

40% - juvenile diabetes research foundation

20% - national association for music education

diabetes mostly because of my 7 year-old nephew with type-1. music education because i'm a big believer in it, and funding for it has been cut so drastically in most school districts.

in addition to those, i usually make a yearly contribution to the local jazz public radio station, which i guess sorta qualifies (it does for tax purposes).

WorldVision has gotten the majority of my donation money for the past few years and will continue to do so. I used to live a few miles from their headquarters, have gotten to know some of their board and have always been impressed with their mission.