[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone here got a green thumb?

peepinmofo

I'm not much of a vegetable/spice gardener, but otherwise yeah, I dig digging. For some reason I like digging a hole and putting a plant in it. :D

Here's two links to get you started:

Better Homes and Gardens Plant Finder Search Page :D

National Arbor Day Foundation Plant Search Page - This website has a ton of other info too.

Local nursery, library, bookstore for info on region specific plants are good bets. But ultimately, part of the "fun" is just picking a plant and see how you like it. Try something else if you don't.

I started growing those big elephant ear plants. I have some nice green ones, and I recently started some purple/black ones.

These are easy to grow as you really just keep em watered and theyre happy.

Im gonna try planting seeds and see what happens. Those are a bit harder from what I can tell.

I love to garden. Holy Roller is right, there's something very primal and satisfying about it. One of my favorite smells in the world is freshly tilled dirt in the spring.

I started my first veggie garden this year. Gotta plan the garden better next year. I had zukes coming out of my ass, cataloupes didn't grow, and (presumably) rats keep getting the tomatos. But the best things about the garden wasn't even the food: it was watching our 2 year olds release lady bugs into the garden (to eat the aphids). That was so much fun.

Edited by yo mama

I started my first veggie garden this year. Gotta plan the garden better next year. I had zukes coming out of my ass, cataloupes didn't grow, and (presumably) rats keep getting the tomatos. But the best things about the garden wasn't even the food: it was watching our 2 year olds release lady bugs into the garden (to eat the aphids). That was so much fun.

:D Yup, that's very cool. My rows aren't as straight as they used to be, but having the kids help in the garden is real quality time.

I always plant too much zuchinni, but eat them small and the Mrs. makes bread out of it all summer - tasty stuff. I've never had to deal with rats in the garden.

Did your kids raise the lady bugs from that discovery channel store kit? My daughter did that a couple of years ago and it was way cool - good learning experience and fun to boot. :D

I need to plug the discovery channel store - if any of you are shopping for kids for the holidays, this place is a must! They have hundreds of very cool toys.

:D Yup, that's very cool. My rows aren't as straight as they used to be, but having the kids help in the garden is real quality time.

I always plant too much zuchinni, but eat them small and the Mrs. makes bread out of it all summer - tasty stuff. I've never had to deal with rats in the garden.

Did your kids raise the lady bugs from that discovery channel store kit? My daughter did that a couple of years ago and it was way cool - good learning experience and fun to boot. :D

I need to plug the discovery channel store - if any of you are shopping for kids for the holidays, this place is a must! They have hundreds of very cool toys.

We ate zuke pretty much every night, either baked with cheese on top, in pasta, grated into scrambled eggs, steamed, etc. It was actually a challenge to figure out how to eat it all.

I've got the rats covered for next year. I was reading this 100 year old book on pest solutions, which recommended mixing equal parts corn meal and plaster of paris (sp?). It's non-toxic (which is good with dogs and kids around) but it'll make rats thristy, they go somewhere else to drink, then their insides sieze up like a packers fan at a cheese festival.

No, we bought bags of lady bugs at a hippy gardening store in the 'hood. They've got a lot impulse-buy items near the register and kids went physco when they saw hundreds of lady bugs in a bag full of straw (hundreds of them). But it was the best $8 I've spent in recent memory. Took pictures of the kids opening the bags and lady bugs all over them; it was a riot. They're too young to raise their own, but I think that's a great idea and I'll save the link for next year.

Edited by yo mama

Plant food - VF11, I've used them all and this is the best IMHO.

Fertilizer - Alfalfa, don't buy it at a nursery cuz you'll pay outlandish prices. Go to a feed store, you can get a 50lb bag for $10-20. It usually comes in pellet form and you don't want the molasses laced form. Just straight alfalfa. I usually put the pellets in a 20 gal garbage can and add water. Turns it into mush and then

apply to your growing areas.

Use chicken manure instead of steer manure. It costs more but one bag of chicken manure replaces 3-4 bags of steer manure.

These three ingredients plus sun and water will give you incredible results.

Edited by slambo

Plant food - VF11, I've used them all and this is the best IMHO.

Fertilizer - Alfalfa, don't buy it at a nursery cuz you'll pay outlandish prices. Go to a feed store, you can get a 50lb bag for $10-20. It usually comes in pellet form and you don't want the molasses laced form. Just straight alfalfa. I usually put the pellets in a 20 gal garbage can and add water. Turns it into mush and then

apply to your growing areas.

Use chicken manure instead of steer manure. It costs more but one bag of chicken manure replaces 3-4 bags of steer manure.

These three ingredients plus sun and water will give you incredible results.

That's the truth but be careful that the chicken poop is well composted because it will burn young plants severely. The alfalfa works great as a green manure also if you plan it out. And don't forget mulching!

Another cheap way to fertilize is take a milk jug (after it has been used, of course) ... slice up any veggie & fruit peels/leftovers/etc... put them in the jug and add some water. Once it starts to decompose in there it smells nasty (really, really nasty), but it certainly does help the crops grow ... the smell doesn't last so it's not like your garden area will constantly reek.