[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What happens "IF" Rutgers beats WVU?

keggerz

Whoa there, cowboy. You can't cut down the season by 2-3 games for all 119 Div1A teams to accomodate a playoff system for 8 or 16 lucky ones. That is not fair and the $ lost makes it totally impossible. Come up with another idea...

+1

Hey Coffeeman,

Are we actually starting to agree on a few things? Pretty sure that won't last long if your Trojans win out. Got them Trojans down abit on my list of teams deserving to play in the NC. Gonna take a few things to happen before I can honestly jump on the USC bandwagon. :D

Edited by Rockerbraves

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 teams, 6 Automatic, 6 At large, top 4 of the BCS get byes in the first round. That would be my dream Tournament.

I'd rather have the controversy between #12 and #13, than have it at #2 and #3...

The bottom line is the current system is exclusive, and all fans really want is a system that is more inclusive.

Edited by GWPFFL BrianW

You can't be serious.....

The Big 10 is a bit down this year, but year in and year out it is as deep and tough a league as any. Comparing the quality of the Big East & the Big 10 is an insult to the Big 10 - this year is an exception.

Actually the insult is that you don't recognize that statement to be completely false. It is this elitist attitude that is a major cause of all the grief associated with the polls in the first place. Had the "so-called" experts recognized that a team like Rutgers, who was returning two very good RB's, a large portion of their O-Line and an incredibly fast, aggressive, defense, would be good this year, then they would have been ranked to start the season and would have moved up every week. Last night's game would have been a Top 5 matchup with the winner bound for a NC date if they stayed undefeated.

+1

Hey Coffeeman,

Are we actually starting to agree on a few things? Pretty sure that won't last long if your Trojans win out. Got them Trojans down abit on my list of teams deserving to play in the NC. Gonna take a few things to happen before I can honestly jump on the USC bandwagon. :D

Fair enough. I'll be able to give you all a firsthand report from this Saturday's Homecoming game for my Trojans vs. the Ducks. Our top WRs and some DE guys all healthy at the same time, and its in the Coliseum - things are looking up for my down-trodden team. Hanging a big 0 on Stanford, even as bad as they are, still helps with the confidence too, although we all know the Duck's spread O is completely different.

Me and my 2 boys plus 6 of my alum buddies and their kids for a big BBQ and game blowout. The cheerleaders and other comely co-eds, the beer and food, sights and smells. (No wives, so the oggling is safe and they are given the 'day off' from us and the kids - talk about a win/win!) Damn, I so look forward to this every year. Can't wait....

Edited by Coffeeman

Actually the insult is that you don't recognize that statement to be completely false. It is this elitist attitude that is a major cause of all the grief associated with the polls in the first place. Had the "so-called" experts recognized that a team like Rutgers, who was returning two very good RB's, a large portion of their O-Line and an incredibly fast, aggressive, defense, would be good this year, then they would have been ranked to start the season and would have moved up every week. Last night's game would have been a Top 5 matchup with the winner bound for a NC date if they stayed undefeated.

+1

sorry you guys - its just a fact that the BE and ACC are inferior to the other 4 BCS conferences for this year and the last few years. It may not have been true way back when or even in the near future, but it is reality right now. Deal with it or you risk being called crazy, using one of the genrally accepted definitions of the term...

The BCS formula is 2/3 based on polls which completely discriminate against a team like Rutgers that doesn't have a pedigree from previous seasons and doesn't get ranked until late October (and therefore can't overtake all the "power" schools that lose an early game).

and here I thought you were a West coast guy?? you effin kidding me with this? pedigree? discrimates?? what a joke- you gotta beat someone first- RU is getting all the respect they deserve and are climbing the polls as a result. - they should be in ZERO discussion for a NC shot- PERIOD. Boise St program BLOWS RU out of the effing water- they deal with this every year, got no sympathy for RU.

The Pac 10 and the West Coast deal with east coast bias every year. The reality is a #3 ranked UL would be about an #8 seed prior to this L in a playoff format.

RU?? jeez, I dunno- 12-16 range likely

sorry you guys - its just a fact that the BE and ACC are inferior to the other 4 BCS conferences for this year and the last few years. It may not have been true way back when or even in the near future, but it is reality right now. Deal with it or you risk being called crazy, using one of the genrally accepted definitions of the term...

And that is based on exactly what facts?? I respect that you have an opinion but please back it up with something other than "because I said so"

:D

Save it. Please. The only quality win the Big Least has is UL over WVU and now RU over UL, both league games obviously. ZERO out of conference wins against TOP 30 teams. Play someone, it is that simple.

and here I thought you were a West coast guy?? you effin kidding me with this? pedigree? discrimates?? what a joke- you gotta beat someone first- RU is getting all the respect they deserve and are climbing the polls as a result. - they should be in ZERO discussion for a NC shot- PERIOD. Boise St program BLOWS RU out of the effing water- they deal with this every year, got no sympathy for RU.

The Pac 10 and the West Coast deal with east coast bias every year. The reality is a #3 ranked UL would be about an #8 seed prior to this L in a playoff format.

RU?? jeez, I dunno- 12-16 range likely

See that is the problem with college football. It is the here and now that matters in sports. Not how a program is perceived by humans. Your comment about RU vs Boise State is just a matter of opinion. Boise beats Oregon state by 40 points. USC gets handled easlily by Oregon State. Louisville beats Boise State in the Liberty bowl a couple years ago. RU kicks the crap out of Louisville. That game wasn't as close as the score showed. RU should get a shot at the NC in a tournament format just as USC and BSU. Set up the seeds how you like. I will tell you this, if USC played at Rutgers last night, you may be changing your mind. That was the highest scoring team in the nation getting handled easily by the Rutgers defense. That Rutgers RB and oline looks like they could run on anyone. Give me a tourney!

Edited by Bushey

Save it. Please. The only quality win the Big Least has is UL over WVU and now RU over UL, both league games obviously. ZERO out of conference wins against TOP 30 teams. Play someone, it is that simple.

Irrelevant. Ohio State has 1 win vs a Top 30 team (Texas). Play the conference schedule you are given.

And exactly who, outside of Texas and Michigan, helps OSU make their case? Was it Northern Illinois? Bowling Green? Cincinnati? Mich State? Illinois? Indiana? c'mon the Buckeyes have beat up primarily on pansies all year also.

Pretty much why I watch college ball sporadically...who cares if your # whatever team just beat up on a team noone has never heard of and has absolutely no chance. 63-0...yeah...great game.

I'm not saying Rutgers deserves a shot at the NC. I'm saying that any team that is unranked to start the season is operating at a disadvantage in the BCS forumla, which is 2/3 based on subjective polls that slot teams based on a collective opinion that starts with a pre-season poll in August.

I'm not saying Rutgers deserves a shot at the NC. I'm saying that any team that is unranked to start the season is operating at a disadvantage in the BCS forumla, which is 2/3 based on subjective polls that slot teams based on a collective opinion that starts with a pre-season poll in August.

Very true.

Here's exactly why the system SUCKS!! I think ALL polls should open in week 6, along with the BCS, that way you can fairly rank the teams without the previous weeks rankings affecting the judgement.

OSU will play a one loss Florida team and Rutgers will be beaten by Cincy this week anyhow, and the BCS will escape another blow this season anyhow.

Irrelevant. Ohio State has 1 win vs a Top 30 team (Texas). Play the conference schedule you are given.

VIG, this is a cop out for the ADs at these schools. You are not 'given' your own non-conf schedule, you make it happen 2 years ahead with some phone calls and handshakes! To the Cardinals' credit, they did put the 'Canes on there, but the 'Canes became horrible very quickly. What is the excuse for WVU and Rutgers?

Luckily for them, this year will probably help them get some more return phone calls from the ADs at the big schools. Plus it will help in recruiting players that can help them compete better when those game start happening. Its all good for the sport - I like seeing the underdog win as much as the next guy. I'd be very un-American if I didn't...

The BCS will not escape a blow regardless of what happens. Controversy is inevitable this year. There isn't a single scenario that could happen that would be without controversy

Playoffs would be welcome by most if not by all, however I remain convinced that controversy is inevitable even if there were a playoff. That's just the way it is when you have diehard homers out there. To make my point you need to look no further than what has happen with instant replay. When the concept was dreamt up but the technology was not in place it seemed like a perfect system. How could it not? Calls could be reviewed and corrected right at that time, so that the proper call is made to prevent controversary. Surely this would work?

Well we now have instant replay yet we still have controversy aka Oklahoma/Oregon and LSU/Auburn which are two that I am aware of that clearly demonstrates even the most perfect dreamt up system can and will cause controversy.

until these JV schools start playing someone out of conference they will not be a top tier league- period.

Then tell your conferences to schedule 'em. Otherwise shut up.

Sorry to jump in late, but I hate when people make this stupid claim. Louisville has inquired to no less than 10 of the 12 SEC teams about signing home and home deals, and all but Georgia and UK have turned them down. You fans from the "Big 4" (whatever that is) hide behind programs that refuse to schedule teams from the Big East and then use the lack of scheduling to ridicule their records. So how on Earth can this infinite loop end when it's the teams from the SEC, Big Ten, and Big XII refusing to play West Virginia, Louisville, and probably now Rutgers.

The system is broken and relies on old money schools avoiding the upstarts and have nots to Josh Gordon out half the field before a down is ever played. The fact that Louisville and WVU even had a CHANCE this year scared the big boys $hitless and would have turned the BCS on its ear had either come through. Fortunately for the Floridas, Texases, and Michigans of the world, the beat can keep on drumming about bad schedules, weak conferences, and no balls to back up any of those claims.

Louisville has inquired to no less than 10 of the 12 SEC teams about signing home and home deals, and all but Georgia and UK have turned them down. You fans from the "Big 4" (whatever that is) hide behind programs that refuse to schedule teams from the Big East and then use the lack of scheduling to ridicule their records. So how on Earth can this infinite loop end when it's the teams from the SEC, Big Ten, and Big XII refusing to play West Virginia, Louisville, and probably now Rutgers.

Here's a bit of my post above to explain how this loop can end - you just keep on winning:

"Luckily for them, this year will probably help them get some more return phone calls from the ADs at the big schools. Plus it will help in recruiting players that can help them compete better when those game start happening. Its all good for the sport - I like seeing the underdog win as much as the next guy. I'd be very un-American if I didn't..."

What's working in your favor is that teams who get left out of the big dance are realizing they have to step up their non-conf. schedule to get a sniff. Whether you hate them or love them, the Trojans have shown others how to do this. Now, if/when we ever get a playoff this incentive will go away again, when votes no longer matter as much the pure win-loss tally...

Sorry to jump in late, but I hate when people make this stupid claim. Louisville has inquired to no less than 10 of the 12 SEC teams about signing home and home deals, and all but Georgia and UK have turned them down. You fans from the "Big 4" (whatever that is) hide behind programs that refuse to schedule teams from the Big East and then use the lack of scheduling to ridicule their records. So how on Earth can this infinite loop end when it's the teams from the SEC, Big Ten, and Big XII refusing to play West Virginia, Louisville, and probably now Rutgers.

The system is broken and relies on old money schools avoiding the upstarts and have nots to Josh Gordon out half the field before a down is ever played. The fact that Louisville and WVU even had a CHANCE this year scared the big boys $hitless and would have turned the BCS on its ear had either come through. Fortunately for the Floridas, Texases, and Michigans of the world, the beat can keep on drumming about bad schedules, weak conferences, and no balls to back up any of those claims.

Your right with the blueprint on what teams from the "Big East" need to do to gain national recognition. That's exactly how Bobby Bowdin's Florida State & the Miami Hurricanes did it back in the 70's. They backed up their talk of "Any Time Any Place" by hitting the roads playing against the nations best without requiring a reciprocal home game. The problem with that today, at least in the SEC, is the conference now schedules 8 conference games vs say 6. Not too many teams want to add quality non conference opponents between conference games especially when ironically SOS is less important to the BCS standings.

and when there were 5 undefeated teams then of course someone gets left out....but if there are only two? and if they dont play the kind of teams then what are louiv and wvu? correct me if i am wrong but those 2 were top 3 ranked teams and aside from those 2 teams they were still ranked in the top 15...their top 15 ranking had nothing to do with games played against Louiv or WVU right?

if rutgers played every team in the big ten, they'd be at best .500............NC thoughts answered..........no offense to both louisville and WVU but they have no defense.............

take the string out, please. You do what Bowden & FSU did- you do what Dirk Koetter did with Boise State- you GO ON THE ROAD and play people, make people notice your program and stop whining about it. It is the only way to get you hang out with the cool kids and eventually get a home and home. Refuse to schedule the Big East... :D your problem is asking the SEC- they are notorious for cupcake non confernce schedules......... The systems is broken, I agree with you there. However the reality is, the Big East is getting better, but it is not nearly as tough as the big 4 - and probaably won't be for many many many years, if ever........ it was created for basketball. baby steps-