[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How difficult is it to upgrade a CPU?

The Irish Doggy

Have a Athlon 64 2800 (939 socket I think), and I'm getting equal to or below recommended specs for games.

The most I've done with a comp is played with RAM, graphics cards, and expansion slots. Is the CPU difficult to do? I have to check the MB out to be sure, but I think I can still use it with a better Athlon 64 chip, I just don't know if this is something I should tackle...

I don't feel like its time to completely replace the PC as all components work well. I saw on newegg that better chips can be had for under 200, which would be worth it to squeeze another year or so out of this rig.

Advice/ Link to a good how-to site appreciated.

Dirt simple to swap out the CPU. Even you can do it. As long as the MB socket accepts the chip you want to put in, all should be good. You may want to check that the BIOS doesn't need to be upgraded before popping in the new chip first though.

Have a Athlon 64 2800 (939 socket I think), and I'm getting equal to or below recommended specs for games.

The most I've done with a comp is played with RAM, graphics cards, and expansion slots. Is the CPU difficult to do? I have to check the MB out to be sure, but I think I can still use it with a better Athlon 64 chip, I just don't know if this is something I should tackle...

I don't feel like its time to completely replace the PC as all components work well. I saw on newegg that better chips can be had for under 200, which would be worth it to squeeze another year or so out of this rig.

Advice/ Link to a good how-to site appreciated.

Here are the AMD 939 socket compatibles at New Egg

It's not difficult to do. If you've tinkered with Ram, Video Cards etc. It's not going to be hard for you.

Heres a little guide to help

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~joyoung/cpu/page1.shtml

To add: check out what Kid Cid said, go to your MB download site and upgrade your bios to latest version

Edited by theeohiostate

It's not difficult to do. If you've tinkered with Ram, Video Cards etc. It's not going to be hard for you.

Heres a little guide to help

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~joyoung/cpu/page1.shtml

To add: check out what Kid Cid said, go to your MB download site and upgrade your bios to latest version

Yeah just take it slow and you'll do fine.

These guys are right. If you go dual core, make sure to upgrade the bios as it won't recognize the chip.

I had an AMD Athlon 3800+ and threw in an Athlon X2 4800 dual core...pretty easy and the heatsink is pretty nice.

Hey Doggy,...what are you looking at getting?

Intel QUADcore is coming soon :D

Too bad my mb won't support it :D Looks like i'll have to dump the old one and get something that will.

I wouldn't jump on that bandwagon just yet. Initiall tests show it isn't much of a difference from the Intel Core 2 Duos with the exception of video editing and graphics programs (oh...and that are specifically written to take advantage of the quad core).

Anyway, worth waiting to see the dust settle when AMD comes out with their quad core and programs start to hit the market in greater numbers to take advantage of the extra cores.