[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

8:00 game

Wolv

Your complaints are misplaced, don't complain to NFL network - they want their network to be carried free on all systems. Complain to your local provider, Comcast, Charter, etc. They are the greedy ones who refuse to put the channel on the free side where it belongs. Innundating them with calls, emails and letter is the best way to make a difference.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Comcast here in Philly, and am watching the game in extraordinary HD. Not sure why there is a problem in other markets, but here it is A+...beautifully clear and audio is phenomenal.

You have it in HD on Philly Comcast??? It's supposed to be broadcast on the INHD channel but I have some old timer movie on. It's showing on the NFL Network but not in hi def.

NFL wants people to watch their station. Or buy DirecTV, so they can be enticed to buy the Sunday Ticket. Both of which they get money for. Not surprised this has happened. As soon as they started the NFL Network, you had to know they had something up their sleeves. This is probably just the beginning.

Lets flood the NFL website with protests :D . They can't show a f'n NFL game nationaly but they'll put BC on ESPN...who cares they're not even gonna make the BCS.

Its the National Football League not the Doin' Well Enough to afford $150 a month for cable football league. This is total BS. Lets start a Poker Fantasy League and turn our collective backs on the NFL, that'll show them who's boss! :D

Dude if you have to pay $150 a month to cable to watch football then you need to kick them to the curb. What f'n cable company to you have. You know what I pay for direct tv a month just over $80.00 per month and that includes starz, hbo and 2 tivo units. Even if you add in the 5 months i pay payment of 41.00 a month for nfl sunday ticket which has nothing to do with getting the nfl channell that is still under 130.00 per month. What cable company do you have they are taking you for a ride if you would have to pay that much a month.

Will somebody please comment on how NFL Network covers the game compared to the other networks

The onscreen score thingy is a bar across the whole top, I don't care for it.

Lots of GMC commercials.

I think this is the first game Bryant gumble has ever watched, let alone announce. He is messing up player names bad, missing calls bad, there was a 1st and 10, the ball carrier was stopped right at the line of scrimmage, they have a red line showing that, gumble says he just got the first, total idiot.

The other guy is chris collinsworth, and the only thing he is talking about is how this is Jakes last game this, and last game that. Very off putting.

The next 5 thursdays have NFL network games, then the following 3 saturdays, at least that is what they said... but this is week 12... so am I to gather they mean playoff games will be on NFL network?

Your complaints are misplaced, don't complain to NFL network - they want their network to be carried free on all systems. Complain to your local provider, Comcast, Charter, etc. They are the greedy ones who refuse to put the channel on the free side where it belongs. Innundating them with calls, emails and letter is the best way to make a difference.

Not true at all - the NFL wants their channel carried on the basic tier, because they then get more subscribers, which translates into higher advertising revenues. This would be free to the subscriber (assuming no rate hike), but not anywhere near free to the distributor (i.e., the cable or satellite company). In fact, the NFL channel's demands are pretty steep, which is why they do not have widespread distribution right now (although having DirecTV and Comcast is a pretty good start).

I work in the cable industry, and if we paid what the NFL channel is demanding, then this network would immediately become the 4th most expensive channel on our basic tier, well behind ESPN but very close to the second and third most expensive networks. Given that this is essentially a four-months-a-year network, their demands are very steep.

Given that this is essentially a four-months-a-year network, their demands are very steep.

Not at all, they have excellent off season coverage, and extensive draft coverage.

I don't know much else about the situation, other than I can't imagine all football fans don't have Directv and NFL ticket.

Not true at all - the NFL wants their channel carried on the basic tier, because they then get more subscribers, which translates into higher advertising revenues. This would be free to the subscriber (assuming no rate hike), but not anywhere near free to the distributor (i.e., the cable or satellite company). In fact, the NFL channel's demands are pretty steep, which is why they do not have widespread distribution right now (although having DirecTV and Comcast is a pretty good start).

I work in the cable industry, and if we paid what the NFL channel is demanding, then this network would immediately become the 4th most expensive channel on our basic tier, well behind ESPN but very close to the second and third most expensive networks. Given that this is essentially a four-months-a-year network, their demands are very steep.

There was an article in our local paper recently pretty much saying the same thing. I think the numbers they stated there, was the NFL Network wants to charge Charter, .70-.80 cents per subscriber. Charter was willing to pay that, but wanted to put it on their Expanded Basic tier, which we already pay a few bucks extra a month to have the ESPN channels, the Golf channel, and other sports channels. And like you said, the NFL balked at that, not wanting to lose the supposed advertising revenue. The problem I have with that, anyone who is going to be watching these games, is already paying for that expanded package. The people that now aren't interested in paying extra for the expanded package to have ESPN, etc, sure as hell probably aren't going to be watching the football games on the NFL Network no matter what tier it is on.

so am I to gather they mean playoff games will be on NFL network?

that can't be right.... no way in hell the networks that pay billions to the league to air the games.... lets that very league broadcast a playoff game. And by the reviews so far they probably wouldn't want to. :D

Forgot to add, this must be the single greatest game I have ever witnessed, a real shame some of you are missing it. :D

yep, absolute sh!t game.... bryant gumble is so full of himself his head is about to explode & marshall faulk can't form a sentence with 2 vowels. Colinsworth is the only thing that held the telecast together.

As far as the reception in Seattle... comcast had it but it was a crappy picture, epecially after watching the first two games in HD.

packers.com has the link on the front page on how to get at TimeWarner and Charter about this. :D

Not at all, they have excellent off season coverage, and extensive draft coverage.

I don't know much else about the situation, other than I can't imagine all football fans don't have Directv and NFL ticket.

The problem there is cable companies would be hiking the price across the board and would result in a lot of non-football fans getting pissed. I agree that the cable companies should be allowed to make it part of their premium package. Sucks that we're stuck with Cable One down here. You'd think a Southern cable company would cater more to the football fans. :D

The problem there is cable companies would be hiking the price across the board and would result in a lot of non-football fans getting pissed. I agree that the cable companies should be allowed to make it part of their premium package. Sucks that we're stuck with Cable One down here. You'd think a Southern cable company would cater more to the football fans. :D

that sucks Rajn...You'd dig it the most.

Given that this is essentially a four-months-a-year network, their demands are very steep.

Understood, the demands are steep, but so is the payoff. When you see the ratings a nationally televised NFL game gets, and compare that to ANYTHING any of those other basic cable channels put up for ANY show, doesn't it start to be worth it?

NFL network will cream all the other basic cable networks in total annual advertising revenue, even if it is four months a year. How much do you think they get for a 30-second spot on Iron Chef? Eight, ten bucks? :D

This is off a website:

HAVING NFLN DOESN'T MEAN GETTING NFL GAMES

Picture this. You've spent all day eating food and watching football on television and eating food and watching football on television and drinking beer and watching football on television and eating food. The extended family has finally cleared out of the house, the first two NFL games have ended, and the third one is getting started soon.

There's been plenty of controversy in the newspapers about the inability of the NFL and cable companies like Time Warner to strike agreements regarding the addition of the league's in-house network, but it's not an issue for you. Your cable company has NFLN, and while 70 million households will be unable to watch the Chiefs and the Broncos, you'll be gnawing on some more dead turkey while Jake Plummer launches a few wounded ducks.

But then something happens. It's time for the game to start, but it's not on. You grab the remote and punch in the numbers for NFLN again, but instead of the Chiefs and Broncos there's an NFL Films production about some old team from Pottstown.

What the f--k? you shout. Then your wife gently reminds you that your five-year-old son is sitting next to you.

That scene played out in more than a few households on Thursday night, due to the fact that NFLN imposes an additional fee to cable companies for the ability to broadcast live regular-season games, and some cable providers simply chose not to pay it.

The problem is that some of the cable providers who chose not to pay the extra fee apparently neglected to tell their customers that the Thursday night game would not be available.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed via e-mail on Friday that the an extra charge applies. "Yes, fees were adjusted to reflect the value of NFL Network with NFL games, which are the highest-rated programming on television," Aiello said. "Cable operators that carried NFL Network prior to NFL Network acquiring the rights to the games had two choices: [(1)] Carry NFL Network with the game package on terms that 170 cable providers throughout the country have accepted as fair, reasonable, and a good value[; or (2)] Let customers know of their choice in time for them to do something about it. A handful of cable operators apparently chose to do neither."

At a time when Congress already has expressed concern about consumer access to games aired on NFLN, this development is, to say the least, unfortunate. Though we don't question the ability of the NFL to get fairly compensated for its immensely popular product, this strikes us as one of those situations in which the inability of the parties to resolve their differences in a satisfactory manner will result in a third party (i.e., the government) imposing a resolution on them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by hooknladder