[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Colston Watch Thread

Chadman

Just thought I would post this, since Colston is such a big part of so many teams and opponents. I needed to know, and would appreciate any updates we get today. - C

Colston, Horn sit out practice

11/29/2006, 8:26 p.m. CT, By BRETT MARTEL, The Associated Press

METAIRIE, La. (AP) — Veteran receiver Joe Horn and rookie Marques Colston both sat out the Saints' first practice of the new week on Wednesday as New Orleans began preparations for the San Francisco 49ers.

Coach Sean Payton said Horn was resting a groin injury that has been nagging him for several weeks. Horn said he thinks he will be ready to play on Sunday in the Louisiana Superdome.

Colston continues to recover from a left ankle sprain that occurred in the Saints' first offensive series in their loss two Sundays ago to Cincinnati. He has not played since, although coaches did not decide to keep him out of last week's game at Atlanta until shortly before kickoff.

"It's getting better, but I'm just trying to realize it's going to be a process and not going to get better overnight," Colston said. "It's kind of lingering around. So I'm just trying to get treatment every day and just trying to take it slow."

Colston was leading the NFL in receiving yards with 869 before his injury. He also had seven touchdowns, which was tied with running back Deuce McAllister for the team lead at the time, though McAllister now has nine.

Quarterback Drew Brees has thrown for more than 300 yards in each of his last two games without Colston running routes, which has taken some pressure off the rookie to rush back, especially since, if he had to choose, he'd rather play when the stakes are higher late in the season or in the playoffs — should the Saints make it that far.

"Obviously an ankle, with a receiver, is definitely a big deal," Colston said. "The thing is you definitely want to be back out there playing, but you want to be smart about it too, so we're not really jeopardizing the rest of the season. We're juggling with that. I'm just trying to gauge where I'm at. This is the first time I've been on it this week, running around. It was definitely a little stiff. I was just trying to work through some of the stiffness."

Colston said he probably would not know whether he would practice Thursday until shortly before the team takes the field.

Adding to the Horn info.

Saints | Horn limited, questionable for Week 13

Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:06:42 -0800

New Orleans Saints WR Joe Horn (groin) was limited in practice Thursday, Nov. 30, and is questionable for Week 13.

Don't give up hope yet...from today's New Orleans Times-Picayune:

INJURY UPDATE: Saints receiver Marques Colston did not participate in the team portion of practice Thursday and remains questionable for Sunday's game. Colston, who missed last week's game at Atlanta with a sprained left ankle, said he could have practiced if he wanted to push it, but he is trying to keep the ankle rested in the hopes of playing Sunday.

While Joe Horn (questionable, groin) returned to practice Friday, Marques Colston (questionable, ankle) missed at least a portion of the workout.

Horn should start against a Niners secondary that is less than full strength. Colston appears unlikely to play after missing work all week but may again be tried out before game time before his official status is determined. New Orleans plays San Francisco at 1ET on Sunday.

Source: sf49ers.com

I think the Saints can win without him this week so it's probably better for the Saints to let him rest one more week & be ready for Dallas. What really sucks for us is that this game may be a deciding factor for a lot of fantasy owners who are relying on him this week. What really sucks for Colston is this 3-game injury may cost him not only ROY honors, but very possibly the recieving title and a possible Pro-Bowl bid. I know those are only individual honors and judging by his character he's much more concerned about the team making the playoffs, but I think it would be a great boost to the team morale for him to get those honors.

Marques Colston-WR-Saints Dec. 3 - 9:13 am et

FoxSports.com\'s John Czarnecki reports the Saints figure to be without Marques Colston (ankle) Sunday vs. San Francisco.

If it looks like a GTD, smells like a GTD, walks like a GTD...it probably is a GTD. :D

My understanding is that IF Colston is out, it will be Henderson who starts for him.

Going against San Frans D & with the way Brees has been lighting up the scoreboard, I'd say yeah, Henderson will be a good start, IF Colston is out.

Anyone know anything new? Thinking of putting in Henderson over Driver if Colston is out, but only if he's definitely not playing.

We'll have to wait on the teams to begin reporting their inactives.

Good thing is that this is an early game, so around 12:00ish EST or so, we should definitively know one way or the other.