[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How do you make a living

Scorcher

We all gather here and talk about football and pound each other about our decisions and we're pretty diverse. I was wondering what all of you do and how you like what you do for a living. I'll go first. I work in the service industry and sometimes I have really great days and on others I come home and just feel terrible. I didn't set out to be in this industry; I guess you could say I just drifted into it. I was wondering how many of you are doing exactly what you set out to do, and at what age did you decide what you wanted to do and work towards what you are doing. Now I think about when I was a kid and people would ask me what I wanted to be. Do you think your job is what you are? Are you what you wanted to be?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am one of the few Maryland state official stop sign cleaners. My job is awesome. I get to travel to all points with in my state cleaning those bright red octagon stop signs. Normally the winter months are my busiest what with all the salt and mud that gets slopped on them. That sucks because once you get into western Maryland and up in the mountains it gets really cold.

But I do enjoy the spring/fall time when the weather is nice.

Trust me on this Scorcher there is nothing better than sitting on top of a mountain in Cumberland Maryland on a spring morning when the sun is rising and you are lathering up a stop sign.

I am one of the few Maryland state official stop sign cleaners. My job is awesome. I get to travel to all points with in my state cleaning those bright red octagon stop signs. Normally the winter months are my busiest what with all the salt and mud that gets slopped on them. That sucks because once you get into western Maryland and up in the mountains it gets really cold.

Trust me on this Scorcher there is nothing better than sitting on top of a mountain in Cumberland Maryland on a spring morning when the sun is rising and you are lathering up a stop sign.

That was a great reply!! Thanks Cliaz!!! :D

How close do you live to Gaithersburg cliaz? I have 2 sisters who live there. Just curious.

I am a working foreman on a construction maintenance crew for our local municipality. We repair and maintain all City equipment, properties, and facilities. This includes plumbing, electrical, carpentry, HVAC, and pretty much anything nobody else wants to do. My particular specialty is installing, programming, and maintaining these bad boys. Since 9/11, the City has tightened security, and I've installed/programmed about 150 proximity locks at all City facilities. I love my job, and genuinely look forward to going to work every day.

:D In addition the to the phone industry? :D

Edited by Big John

Attorney, specializing in labor and employment. I worked for big firms for 20 years, but started my own, one person firm just last week...scared and excited...but glad to be done with the politics of the big firms.

Don't we have one of these threads every year?

Believe we have had a couple this year. LOL

I do nothing for a living. I have done nothing for a long time now. I plan on doing nothing for an even longer time. And IF I were to do something... I would enjoy it or I wouldn't do it.

Attorney, specializing in labor and employment. I worked for big firms for 20 years, but started my own, one person firm just last week...scared and excited...but glad to be done with the politics of the big firms.

Are you doing plaintiff employment work then I take it? Benn there, done that ... its a hard row to hoe these days ... good luck!

Edited by Beaumont

Are you doing plaintiff employment work then I take it? Benn there, done that ... its a hard row to hoe these days ... good luck!

No, I represent management. All of my clients came with me to the new firm, so things are looking pretty good. I'm in Madison, WI and, for some reason, there just isn't a whole lot of competition in my practice area.

99% of the time, I just say I work for the CIA since most people have absolutely no clue what I do.

I work for a real estate development consulting firm that does due diligence investigations for investors in large residential projects. I also have a commercial component to what I do: we provide similar due diligence for a VERY large bank for their new banking facility locations.

I recently moved to Austin, TX... in doing so, I am now working on contract basis, freeing me up to work for an architect buddy of mine on processing of entitlements for gas stations here in Texas.

Yeah, I enjoy what I do... although I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy something in sports far more. Working from home has been awesome. I love the free time. I spent all day yesterday doing errands and Christmas shopping. :D

PGA golf professional at a private country club. Dream job although probably not quite what some people would think. I work up to 80 hours a week during the summer months and travel during the winter. My shop opens April 1st and closes the day before Thanksgiving. I play once a week with the members and teach approx. four hours per day. I have 20 people that work for me and I own the golf shop concession.

PGA golf professional at a private country club. Dream job although probably not quite what some people would think. I work up to 80 hours a week during the summer months and travel during the winter. My shop opens April 1st and closes the day before Thanksgiving. I play once a week with the members and teach approx. four hours per day. I have 20 people that work for me and I own the golf shop concession.

Which club? I gather that you are in the Milw. area...I'm in Madison.

I kinda backed into my career after deciding not to continue pursuing the Priesthood a few years back (chose a family instead - kinda last minute). Now I'm a Buyer for a Marketing Firm. Its an ok job. I don't dislike it but its hardly inspirational. I am happy with the company for which I work, so that's a good thing.

I'm starting to get those mid-life twinges of maybe wanting to start my own business though... can't afford to right now, but we'll see what the next five years bring.

I'm also (slowly) working on a book that I've been writing for a while now. Once my son is a little older, I'm hoping to make more time to finish it up.

How close do you live to Gaithersburg cliaz? I have 2 sisters who live there. Just curious.

About 40 minutes as the crow flies. It's not too far away.

:D In addition the to the phone industry? :D

FINALLY JOHN GOT IT WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Telecommunications/Managed Hosting.

:doesdance: I can't believe this. Wait. Well one part of our company does do phones. crap.