[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How do you make a living

Scorcher

I am a working foreman on a construction maintenance crew for our local municipality. We repair and maintain all City equipment, properties, and facilities. This includes plumbing, electrical, carpentry, HVAC, and pretty much anything nobody else wants to do. My particular specialty is installing, programming, and maintaining these bad boys. Since 9/11, the City has tightened security, and I've installed/programmed about 150 proximity locks at all City facilities. I love my job, and genuinely look forward to going to work every day.

Also a supervisor for a local South Florida municipality. Been there for the past 20 years, I love my job as there is never a dull moment. Looking forward to retirement September 2007 and the new home we are building in Charlotte, NC.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

worked as a newspaper reporter for nine years until i left the job a year ago to be a stay at home dad. i'm now a freelancer. most of the work i do involves reviewing video games and other tech stuff, but i do business writing, too.

Family Therapist. Hating it. I just returned to the field after a few years off. I used ot work with kids in the Juvenile system which is what I thought I was getting back into. Turns out a majority of my clients come from the Dept. of Human Services. Parents messed up on drugs who have had their kids removed is a majority of what I see. Alot of times to get to my hours I have to supervise them on visits with their kids...glorified babysitter. Don't see myself staying with it much longer.

Sales and Management for a IT and Engineering consulting.

Like it yes, burned out of it a few years ago, yes...recharged the batteries and am back in it. Good money to be made in this economy now, yes. Frustrations dealing with human capital as your product....absolutely.

I manage a couple of investment partnerships for clients all over america. I have a client I do some consulting with; they're up in Montreal. I started my business five years ago this coming Feb 1 ... and I really love it.

I also am a non-managing partner in a niche corporate finance firm with deals nationwide. They help companies raise money, do mergers/acquisitions, recapitalizations, etc. ... this is a very interesting business, but I'm not in it day-to-day ... more so I can have proprietary access to top-quality deal-flow for my investment partnerships.

Edited by muck

Strategic Planning & Community Relations for a community hospital. Been there 17+ years ... Still enjoy it -- great flexibility timewise so I nearly never miss a daughter's event, always a new project coming through, some opportunities to use my writing/photography skills from my journalism background, great people to work with ...

Not many teachers out there? What about anyone involved with the radio business? I'm planning on getting involved with the radio business after I graduate. I have an internship with ESPN Radio this summer so hopefully that will springboard into something. If not, I would love to teach too and would consider Teach for America.

Civil Servant. Firefighter for 18 years - 7 of those as a Fire Marshal/Investigator. Went in when I was 19 - Can retire from city at 39 and move on to another city. Didn't know this is what I was going to do. I thought I was getting away from school. I have been schooling ever since I was a rookie. Still love it, even though "things ain't like they used to be!"

I do some football writing in my job and I love it.

But staying up this late for three or four nights a week sucks. Then again, February through April rocks.

Plaintiffs' attorney, mostly in asbestos products liability cases. I enjoy the work most of the time, but it is sad to always meet people just before they die. I would have preferred to do plaintiffs' employment litigation, which I did with a firm for a couple years in law school.

Attorney, specializing in labor and employment. I worked for big firms for 20 years, but started my own, one person firm just last week...scared and excited...but glad to be done with the politics of the big firms.

Was going to wish you the best of luck until I saw trhis:

No, I represent management. All of my clients came with me to the new firm, so things are looking pretty good. I'm in Madison, WI and, for some reason, there just isn't a whole lot of competition in my practice area.

:D

J/K. :D Good luck out there on your own! Having those clients from the start is great. Being on the other side, I'm too chicken to even start thinking about hanging out my own shingle.