[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let the debate continute!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really give two sh|ts about the Big Ten. My argument would be the same no matter what conference ended up having the first and second best teams in the country.

And to be honest, I hope that Florida does get to play OSU, since that will make the Michigan vs. ? game that much more interesting.

I don't really give two sh|ts about the Big Ten. My argument would be the same no matter what conference ended up having the first and second best teams in the country.

And that Sir is the problem, everyone is having a hard time defining who deserves to grab that title of second best team in the country. And without a playoff system, there will always be an argument. And I think the powers at be simply want us all arguing about it because it raises the debate and brings folks out to more ball games.

Which conference would that be?

huh?

My comments are directed at people who say that even though Michigan is the second best team in the country they don't deserve to be in the title game since they didn't win their conference.

If you think Florida is the second best team in the country and therefore deserves to be in the title game on that merit alone, then my argument isn't towards you.

Yeah has nothing to do with the SEC having 2 top 4 teams, especially since both of them I predict will lose (IF florida plays OSU, and LSU plays USC). If you didn't notice, the Big Ten, has 2 teams in the top 3.

I and others have enough reasons to believe that this prediction is blindly biased. Let's go ahead and play the games anyway!

And that Sir is the problem, everyone is having a hard time defining who deserves to grab that title of second best team in the country. And without a playoff system, there will always be an argument. And I think the powers at be simply want us all arguing about it because it raises the debate and brings folks out to more ball games.

True but the real problem is the conference presidents are swinging from the nut sacks of the Bowls and their committees. There will never be a playoff. At least not for another 20 years when all the old codgers are dead and buried.

by the way, in the purer world of D-II football, the Grand Valley State University Lakers extended their (best in any division) winning-streak to 26 games in a row as they defeated the Fighting Souix of North Dakota in the Regional Championship game today (which is also a quarterfinal game in the overall national championship playoff structure).

:D

huh?

My comments are directed at people who say that even though Michigan is the second best team in the country they don't deserve to be in the title game since they didn't win their conference.

If you think Florida is the second best team in the country and therefore deserves to be in the title game on that merit alone, then my argument isn't towards you.

Easy wiegie. I have no dogs in this fight. My team is gonna be sucking snow flakes in Boise at 6-6 in a few weeks. What I'm saying is that Michigan had their shot at the #1 team in the land and lost. Great game and it was close but they lost. A rematch wouldn't prove a thing. If Michigan wins then are they NC's? Maybe, maybe not. OSU won one and Mich won the other so where are we at? If OSU wins again, they just proved that their dominance over Mich is complete but not so much that their the best team in the country.

The SEC is the toughest conference in the country and they also play for a conference championship in a game. I think if anything the PAC 10 and the Big Ten should have a conference title game. It would help lessen the perception that they are weak conferences and OSU playing and winning a game against say, Wisc for the whole enchelata would do nothing but help the Big Ten.

Easy wiegie. I have no dogs in this fight. My team is gonna be sucking snow flakes in Boise at 6-6 in a few weeks. What I'm saying is that Michigan had their shot at the #1 team in the land and lost. Great game and it was close but they lost. A rematch wouldn't prove a thing. If Michigan wins then are they NC's? Maybe, maybe not. OSU won one and Mich won the other so where are we at? If OSU wins again, they just proved that their dominance over Mich is complete but not so much that their the best team in the country.

The SEC is the toughest conference in the country and they also play for a conference championship in a game. I think if anything the PAC 10 and the Big Ten should have a conference title game. It would help lessen the perception that they are weak conferences and OSU playing and winning a game against say, Wisc for the whole enchelata would do nothing but help the Big Ten.

This SEC superiority thing is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Not playing too many teams of note outside their conference, then claiming that their conference is full of toughies such as 'Bama, Jawja etc. (snicker)

The SEC is 5-6 against the Big-10 in the last 4 years in bowl games. There's no superiority here.

huh?

Can't you understand, we are not looking for the 2nd best but the BEST team. As far as we know Ohio State may not even be worthy opponent for Tennessee.

This SEC superiority thing is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Not playing too many teams of note outside their conference, then claiming that their conference is full of toughies such as 'Bama, Jawja etc. (snicker)

The SEC is 5-6 against the Big-10 in the last 4 years in bowl games. There's no superiority here.

Let's see who OSU played outside their tough *cough* *cough* conference. Oh, there's Northern Illinois , Cincy and Bowling Green. That is tough especially having to deal with the likes of Indiana, North Western and Minnesota too. (snicker snicker)

Please, past history has no merit or we could bring up the fact that the Big Ten has only won 3 NC in the past 30 years.

Let's see who OSU played outside their tough *cough* *cough* conference. Oh, there's Northern Illinois , Cincy and Bowling Green. That is tough especially having to deal with the likes of Indiana, North Western and Minnesota too. (snicker snicker)

Please, past history has no merit or we could bring up the fact that the Big Ten has only won 3 NC in the past 30 years.

You don't get it. Note that I'm not making any claims about the toughness of OSU's schedule. The reason for bringing up 'recent' history was because the common refrain we hear is that year in and year out, the SEC is the toughest conference. SEC coaches and supporters feel the need to whine about their superiority continuously. But recent Bowl records prove ambivalent to say the least. And other than Bowl games and OOC schedules, there's no other reliable barometer for conference superiority. See the point?

I usually reserve judgement about relative conference superiorirty until the Bowl season is over.

the Fighting Souix of North Dakota

RACISTS!! Shouldn't they be the Green Wave or some other politically correct nickname?? :D

in the Regional Championship game today (which is also a quarterfinal game in the overall national championship playoff structure).

:bash:

How can these poor D1AA, DII and DIII athletes stand the perils and rigors of a playoff system when DI athletes can't?? :D

You don't get it. Note that I'm not making any claims about the toughness of OSU's schedule. The reason for bringing up 'recent' history was because the common refrain we hear is that year in and year out, the SEC is the toughest conference. SEC coaches and supporters feel the need to whine about their superiority continuously. But recent Bowl records prove ambivalent to say the least. And other than Bowl games and OOC schedules, there's no other reliable barometer for conference superiority. See the point?

I usually reserve judgement about relative conference superiorirty until the Bowl season is over.

Listen I can't argue with you and watch this game at the same time.

It's actually very simple. There is absolutely no way to determine the relative strength between Michigan and FL, so you absolutely can't have Michigan play again.

It would be like saying after NY and Boston square off in the ALCS, "Well, those are obviously the two best teams, so let's just have them play in the WS as well."

There is only one known fact, Mich had a shot at OSU and lost. So, for the purpose of the 2006 season, OSU is "better" than Mich. Now, it's somebody else's turn. Going into this weekend, the team with the best resume was USC but they pooped the bed. Next in line should be Florida. Unless there is some way to prove that Mich is the better team (like a head to head win or some significant interconference wins that put their record in perspective), there's no way you can say they deserve two shots at OSU more than FL deserves one.

If OSU waxes FL, that won't even prove what I'm saying to be wrong because I'm not saying that FL is a better team than Mich. I'm simply saying that if Mich is allowed to play OSU over FL, we're essentially saying that we decided who the best teams were after week 7. What's the point of that?

I and others have enough reasons to believe that this prediction is blindly biased. Let's go ahead and play the games anyway!

It's a prediction nonetheless. I also predicted UCLA to beat USC today too. I agree, play the games. That's what I've been saying. Lead the Gators to the slaughterhouse, and have Ohio State and Michigan finish the year #1 and #2 in the polls.