[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Downtrodden Dynasty League Owners Unite!

darin3

Not sure if this belongs in the Fantasy Advice Forum, College Forum, or here in the "main" forum, but I'll leave it up to to Big John and the other "powers that be" to determine that...

Looking ahead to 2007 and beyond in my various IDP dynasty leagues, I'm starting to do some research on top prospects at each position for this April's draft. I haven't done much research and I'm sure (cough) some of you will be quick to point out foibles I make here, but hey, it's just an appetizer to start the discussion.

In no particular order:

Quarterbacks

2007 will feature some big-name QBs. Quinn has been pegged as the top of the class since the season began, and there are several other strong-armed QBs that are set to enter the draft.

Brady Quinn, ND: He's got the pedigree, and now the tutelage of Charlie Weis. Probably the #1 pick.

Brian Brohm, UL: An underclassman, I'm guessing he comes out. He's a top-10 pick if he does. 25 TDs and only 7 INTs in 21 games played.

Troy Smith, OSU: I think Smith's a terrific college football player, but is too short to run NFL offenses. He's listed at 6'1", but I'd be shocked if he was more than 5'11". Maybe some of you OSU homers could confirm this.

Some others: Drew Stanton, MSU; Tyler Palko, PIT; JaMarcus Russell (Und.), LSU

Running Backs

Last year's draft featured a few big RB names. This season has a few, too. Maybe not as much overall talent and NFL-ready names, but some serious talent for sure.

Adrian Peterson, OU: I'm going to assume the guy is coming out. His recent injury shouldn't be an issue. This guy is the real deal and will be a stud NFL back - fantasy or otherwise.

Marshawn Lynch, Cal: Another underclassman RB. His stock has risen significantly in the past month. Definitely not J.J. Arrington.

Michael Bush, UL: Big time bummer that this guy got hurt so early in the season. He would have had a huge year and would have been a Heisman candidate. Dude is going to be a monster in the NFL.

Some others: Kenny Irons, AUB; Tony Hunt (PSU)

Wide Receivers

Definitely a good year for wideouts this season. Last year had a few, but the big names have yet to really make any sort of splash. This year's class may make significant, early returns.

Dwayne Jarrett, USC: Yet another underclassman that will probably come out. He's got the "prototypical" NFL size/speed and is a TD machine.

Calvin Johnson, GT: Yup, another underclassman... could actually be better than Jarrett. Big time speed along with size.

Ted Ginn, Jr., OSU: Honestly, I can't tell if this guy is just another one of those small, slot WRs like Sinorice Moss, etc. He's also an underclassman, but will probably come out.

Jeff Samardzija, ND: By far the best senior WR. Will his baseball talents get in the way? Already drafted by the Cubs and supposedly is a solid pitching prospect. But the guy can play football, too. Great size, good enough speed, and has worked well with Brady Quinn in Charlie Weis' offense.

Some others: Steve Smith, USC; Sidney Rice, USC (South Carolina); Dwayne Bowe, LSU

Tight Ends

Not too much to choose from here. Certainly not like last year's class.

Zach Miller, ASU: Yet another underclassman. Given the lack of talent at TE in this year's class, he'll probably come out. Does he have the talent of another ex-Sun Devil, Todd Heap? His sophomore season was actually better than his junior season.

Matt Spaeth, MIN: Great size (6'7", 265) and is averaging 12.4 ypc.

Kickers

Does it matter? :D

I'll update this post / thread later on with some IDP names. Again, these names are only the tip of the iceberg; I'm sure I missed some huge prospects. So, what names are you looking at in the 2007 NFL Draft?

:D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice post.

I perwsonal have been looking my team over and seeing which rookies from this year are worth keeping. Not exactly a dynasty league, but we do get to keep 9 total players from a 18 player squad.

Well any way does any body think Mercedes Lewis is worth keeping?

Great post! Definetely time to consider keepers for Dyasty leagues. We can pick up FA's after the playoffs are over and build during the offseason in my league.

How bout NFL free agents that have potential to be big next year?

Matt Schaub- Going to be a starting QB for Somebody, maybe MN?

Drew Bennett- Could also go to MN and be Matts #1 WR

Michael Turner- Could be a stud for?

Thoughts?

Nice post.

I perwsonal have been looking my team over and seeing which rookies from this year are worth keeping. Not exactly a dynasty league, but we do get to keep 9 total players from a 18 player squad.

Well any way does any body think Mercedes Lewis is worth keeping?

Not in your format, no.

However, for those in normal dynasty leagues, he's on someone's roster, and may undervalue him. I was able to land him in a recent trade and think he's going to be solid down the road. He didn't have the freakish skills of a Vernon Davis, but I think he's got better talent than, say, Leonard Pope or Tony Scheffler.

Great post! Definetely time to consider keepers for Dyasty leagues. We can pick up FA's after the playoffs are over and build during the offseason in my league.

How bout NFL free agents that have potential to be big next year?

Matt Schaub- Going to be a starting QB for Somebody, maybe MN?

Drew Bennett- Could also go to MN and be Matts #1 WR

Michael Turner- Could be a stud for?

Thoughts?

Schaub would be a nice fit in Minnesota. I'm not familiar enough with what's going on in either TN or MN to know if it's possible. Bennett would be a good fit in Minnesota - or wherever Schaub lands.

I landed Turner in the trade mentioned above... I'm hoping he lands somewhere... anywhere... where he's given the opportunity to start. Who knows where that'd be or if it even happens in '07.

I like Quinn & Brohm as far as likelihood to succeed as NFL QBs. I like Stanton's chances a whole lot more than I like Troy Smith's. Stanton was saddled with a really bad team, but is big, strong & can make all the throws. Troy Smith is WAY too undersized to play QB in the NFL, and it's likely that he may not hit the 6'-0" mark at the combine. I'm not a Russell fan at all and think he is the obvious example of a college QB who is great in his system but will not have his skills translate at all in the pros. Really undecided about Palko right now.

Other QBs that I like to be capable NFL starters (not just make a roster but be a capable or better starter):

Kevin Kolb, Houston

Jordan Palmer, UTEP

John Beck, Utah

and my ultimate super-sleeper John Stocco, Wisconsin

As far as RBs, I love Peterson & think he very well could be the reincarnation of Tony Dorsett or Emmitt Smith. I think Lynch needs a very solid zone blocking team (DEN & GB would be ideal spots for him) or he may have a tougher time breaking into potential stud status - though I would like him running behind that young & studly Jets O-line that is going to be state-of-the-art in 2 or 3 years in the NFL.

I don't like Bush at all - he played against weak run Ds in conference & the Louisville RBs don't seem to make the adjustment to the pros well at all. Irons will probably run like a typical Auburn RB - not a super-stud but a borderline #1/good #2 RB. I don't see Tony Hunt having much success in the NFL - I see him as the prototypical Big 10 RB failure rather than the LJ exception to the rule.

Sleepers I'd keep a sharp eye on:

Lynell Hamilton San Diego St

Courtney Lewis Texas A&M

Albert Young Iowa

Super sleeper - Dwayne Wright Fresno St

Edited by Bronco Billy

I like Quinn & Brohm as far as likelihood to succeed as NFL QBs. I like Stanton's chances a whole lot more than I like Troy Smith's. Stanton was saddled with a really bad team, but is big, strong & can make all the throws. Troy Smith is WAY too undersized to play QB in the NFL, and it's likely that he may not hit the 6'-0" mark at the combine. I'm not a Russell fan at all and think he is the obvious example of a college QB who is great in his system but will not have his skills translate at all in the pros. Really undecided about Palko right now.

Other QBs that I like to be capable NFL starters (not just make a roster but be a capable or better starter):

Kevin Kolb, Houston

Jordan Palmer, UTEP

John Beck, Utah

and my ultimate super-sleeper John Stocco, Wisconsin

Yeah I like Stanton - perhaps this coming draft's version of Jay Cutler? :D

As far as RBs, I love Peterson & think he very well could be the reincarnation of Tony Dorsett or Emmitt Smith. I think Lynch needs a very solid zone blocking team (DEN & GB would be ideal spots for him) or he may have a tougher time breaking into potential stud status - though I would like him running behind that young & studly Jets O-line that is going to be state-of-the-art in 2 or 3 years in the NFL.

I don't like Bush at all - he played against weak run Ds in conference & the Louisville RBs don't seem to make the adjustment to the pros well at all. Irons will probably run like a typical Auburn RB - not a super-stud but a borderline #1/good #2 RB. I don't see Tony Hunt having much success in the NFL - I see him as the prototypical Big 10 RB failure rather than the LJ exception to the rule.

Sleepers I'd keep a sharp eye on:

Lynell Hamilton San Diego St

Courtney Lewis Texas A&M

Albert Young Iowa

Super sleeper - Dwayne Wright Fresno St

Good call on Bush... but I think he may surprise you a bit. Definitely agree on Irons.

Wright could be a diamond in the rough. He has disappeared against tough foes but is a tremendous athlete that can put up huge stats. Nice call.

good predictions...

i add palmer to QB..

one question..why are u comparing Ginn jr. to a rookie WR...sinorice could be good with some experience

I'm not saying Moss won't be good with experience. I was simply comparing Ginn, Jr. to the TYPE of WR Moss is: smallish, quick, slot-type (sort of like Ginn, Jr.'s teammate of last year, Santonio Holmes).

A. Peterson is such an amazing talent. Whenever he goes, he will be the real deal. I heard S. Alexander on the radio and he's a big fan of McFadden. That's about all I've got.

I've loved Matt Schaub since he was a rookie. If he starts almost anywhere I'll want to draft him. Looking ahead I really love Brandon Jacobs. I guess that's stating the obvious but after seeing that guy close up twice this year I believe.

A. Peterson is such an amazing talent. Whenever he goes, he will be the real deal. I heard S. Alexander on the radio and he's a big fan of McFadden. That's about all I've got.

I've loved Matt Schaub since he was a rookie. If he starts almost anywhere I'll want to draft him. Looking ahead I really love Brandon Jacobs. I guess that's stating the obvious but after seeing that guy close up twice this year I believe.

good to see you around Club....

not sure where u got 25 tds for brohm, had 19 last year, 16 this year, and even some more the year before last. also, can sidney rice come out? thought he was a sophomore. is he a redshirt soph? if not, he can't come out til he's 3yrs removed from hs.

Calvin Johnson is a physical freak who actually has great WR skills. Within 2 years of entering the NFL, he's going to require a double team every play because even the best CB won't be capable of dealing with his combination of size, speed, and body control. He'll be a better FF scorer than most RBs in a lot of leagues. Jarrett is the real deal & reminds me a lot of Torry Holt. Ginn on the other hand reminds me a lot of Ashley Lelie - one dimensional game based on speed that will be largely negated when he gets to the next level. Samardzija is going to be special also - deceptive speed, strong after the catch, great hands, and wants the ball really badly, and he physically will tower over CBs. I think Steve Smith benefits from being Jarrett's running mate, kind of like Colbert did, and doesn't look like he'll be super at the next level. I like Rice & Bowe to both be capable of becoming starting WRs in the NFL with a couple of years worth of experience.

Other WRs that I like:

Robert Meacham Tennessee (want to see which Meacham is the real one, last year's or this year's)

Jason Hill, Washington State (will be a prolific #2 WR for someone)

Jarrett Hicks, Texas Tech

Super sleeper - Eric Deslauriers, Eastern Michigan

Edited by Bronco Billy