[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any one here plays Fantasy Salary cap games?

joshy

There's a couple different salary cap games.

Do you mean auctions instead of serpentine drafts? You'll find many around here who play that way now.

Or do you mean salary cap where each player is determined to have a value and the sum total of all player values can't exceed a certain number (the salary cap)? CDM (famous for winning the fantasy lawsuit vs. MLB) has some like this. I don't think there are many around here who play those types since it rarely gets brought up. I actually started out playing this type. Can't say I like one better than the other. Its all fun to me.

I am looking to some advice in the game, and wanted to know if some one over here plays that type of game?

Hey!! The Donutrun Antisocial Hobbits finally seized the TOP ranking among Vermont teams in the Yahoo Salary Cap League -- as well as currently ranking #1 in each of the three public leagues they are entered in ... Wooooohooooo ... Yes I know "free leagues suck" and yes it is only week 14 and there are four more weeks to play to hold onto that top ranking, but hey, bite me. :D

I like the salary cap format as a change of pace to the head-to-head leagues I play in ... :D

The Huddle does sponsor the Sportsbuff contest. Doesn't anyone else play in that one?

Imo, the best game on the net last year was the Fanball Superstar Cap Challenge. They don't have that one anymore. They replaced it with something else and it's not even close.

Is week 14 a little late for asking for advice on how to play a game? Or are you asking for next year?

Actually this is the best time but i already got the answer, i play in a Salary cap game, in which we are divided to 28 teams divisions and we play Head 2 head each week, till the playoffs, and the best in each division proceed to the big prize game.

The game is played by that the system assembles each player a virtual value and each "user" a certain virtual budget and you have to assemble the best team in your cap.

It's a more dynamic type of game in my point of view, and also the luck element is less affective, cause you can react to changes during the season without the trade limits of finding some one to trade with.

I am looking to some advice in the game, and wanted to know if some one over here plays that type of game?

In my primary league that we play for fairly big money we use an auction/keeper format with a salary cap. Its a fantastic league and while it took us getting used to it a bit, everyone agrees that its the most fun.

It works like this: To start the league, its just a regular auction with a salary cap. We use a $200 cap but you only get to use $170 at auction, and then you get another $30 to use for free agents during the season. This works really well because you want there to be ample room for FA bidding.

Thats another thing. We do an auction every week (how fun is that) for FA's. Its not first come or by reverse record. If you want a FA bad enough (or need one) you need to manage your cap and bid. Its that simple. Our website does the calculations for you so nobody knows anyone else's bids. Im the commish but I cant possibly find out. In short, this rocks. Nobody has any advantage over anyone else.

You can keep up to 5 players per team, but if you keep a player, you have to increase his salary by $8. This favors keeping RBs because they tend to go for much higher. So its easier to increase a RB salary. It Makes it harder to keep QBs and WRs. Thats the only flaw in the system.

Also, we can do multi-year deals where in the 2nd year of the deal you only have to increase by $4 and $2 in year 3 (if you go that far). But if they player suddenly becomes inneffective (think Jamal Lewis) you are stuck with his salary for 2 or 3 years. This will hurt you obviously during the auction if you are saddled with a crappy player and his salary.

If a guy gets hurt (goes on IR) you can cut him and eat half his salary for the rest of the season but then he is a FA the year after. So when a superstar goes on IR it causes a dilemma for teams. Do you cut the guy to create salary cap space for the season? Or do you keep him for next year? This happened with Steve Smith 2 years ago. The owner cut him but had him at a good price. He didnt make the playoffs and ended up regretting cutting Smith (who went for a lot more money last year and was worth it).

Same here. This is my third season there and it is enjoyable because it's just a different type of FF to me.

5th year for me. I've ranked in top 50 for a week atleast every year, made the playoffs with the 5 mil extra cap every year, won the money for most points in your league, and a few more achievements.

Edited by Flip_Side