[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vince Young = Mike Vick...

vansmack32

I hear ya but you went off on Roth like he's made as big of an impact as Young. The major difference between the two is Young has pretty much carried the Titans on his back and changed that team completely. Roth has never been capable of carrying the Steelers on his back. Most of his success occurs when he's managing the game, throwing between 20-25 times, the running game is clicking and the defense is dominating. When he's asked to do more, bad things happen to the Steelers.

That's a damn fine, well thought out response.

Well done, lad.

Wow, I didn't expect a board full of "modernists" here. Did you guys have these same feelings when everyone was comparing Big Ben to Marino and Montana or is this just because of his first bad season in three as a starter? Talk about what have you done for me lately...

I'm just debating here, but IMHO Big Ben's season is more a function of his off-season problems than any deficiencies he has as a player. The dude nearly had his face scraped off the road, then gave up his appendix the first week of the season. The fact he is standing in a pocket and taking hits at all this season surprises me. I'd also argue that he is going through the same hangover that ALL the Steelers are after the Super Bowl (Cowher included).

Does/did the defense help? Yes. Does/did the running game? Yes. But neither of those should completely dismiss his talent; it's not like Parker or the D are missing or all that changed this season. As a Louisville fan, I still have the scars of what his ability to pass did to my team's secondary in the 2004 GMAC Bowl.

I think the test of Big Ben is if he can bounce back from this TERRIBLE season.

I don't think he's without talent - all things considered, the previous two years, yes, he DID have a great D and running game to take the pressure off - but he also had a knack for making a big play when the pressure was on and the Steelers needed him to do something. That can't be discounted.

Perhaps a better comparison would be to Randall Cunningham? :D

That's a good comparison.

Except for the fact that Cunningham, ya know, had some accomplishments and stuff like that.

But other than the complete lack of accomplishments and stuff, I'd say Vince Young is exactly like Randall Cunningham.

It seems like to me he could be comparable to his mentor, Steve McNair. Now I was only 10 or 11 when McNair got the starting nod in Tennesse but his numbers in his first year starting full time were 2,665 passing yards, 52% Completions, 14 tds and 13 INTs. He rushed 101 times for 674 yards and 8 tds. McNair was never lightning quick and I thought he possessed good leadership skills. I think Young can and will be a lot better than McNair, but in the early part of McNairs career, his numbers are similar to what Youngs are now. Now numbers dont exactly tell you how the player played, but from what I saw from McNair between 1999 - 2005, it seems like they may play very similar.

I believe that you are on to something.

Roethlisberger is just in the 3rd year of his rookie season this year and is just going through typical rookie growing pains.

Kind of like 4th grade being the best 3 years of my life...

:D

LMAO! :D

• 1 year later...
It's amazing how everyone is still labeling Young raw and dumb. The man has serious skills he's been displaying in college and now on Sundays. He also can't be that dumb because he's grasped the offense quickly and he's leading the Titans to more and more victories on Sundays.

As far as Vick goes, the only similarity is their running ability. Young is a much better passer, leader and has a much better feel for the game that seems to come naturally. I can't remember another rookie QB in the last 10 years to have such a big impact on the NFL and his team.

Vick lasted longer.

These are no where near comparable. Roethlisberger went to a run oriented team, who had a great defense and was asked to not screw things up, and hand the ball off. the Titans are winning with no defense, and Young making things happen on offense. You put Vince Young on the Steelers and they are a lock to win several SBs in his career. . Put Roeth on Tennessee and they are worse than Pittsburgh is now, as even Pittsburghs talent on D, cant overcome his mental mistakes on a weekly basis.

This post reeks of Big 12 Homerism.

Put Vince on the '05 Steelers and I doubt that they beat Indy, Cincy, and Denver - all on the road - again. As badly as Roth sucked in the SB, he threw 7 TDs and only 1 pick at 68% over those three previous games. And I'm pretty sure that Vince wouldn't have thrown 32 TDs (vs. only 11 picks) on last year's Steeler's team.

Comparing Young to Vick is an insult to Vince Young.

Vick is a true scumbag and an all-around crappy person. Young, while maybe troubled, has shown no indications of Ron Mexico type behavior.

I do wonder about some things though. Young had to be carted off the field, while Brady and Merriman walked off under their own power, with far more serious injuries. Was Young *hoping* his injury was worse than it was?