[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

lest we forget

Front Row

Another side note - did you know that all the sunken ships, less the Arizona, were floated and returned to duty within two years? Now there's a phenomenal testament to engineering if ever I heard one.

One big mistake the Japs made...not returning and hitting the shipyards like they had planned on doing. That would have put us back on our heels for years...

I wonder if we'll ever see the multitude of actors/sports stars go in to the service like they did for WWI/WWII/Korea. This country has truly changed.

That's the truth. The greatest generation ever, by far. All of them. :D We'll never see that type of sacrifice across the board again.

I agree 100%

I also don't think we will see that kind of national unity again . Perhaps if we were attacked again we would, for a little while anyway.

In '72 I was in Iwakuni, Japan and took the short trip to Hiroshima and visited Peace Park. Sombering to an 18-year-old. But I remember thinking payback's a biitch.

Glad someone remembered December 7th, though. Believe me, ALL my classes learned/remembered it.

In '72 I was in Iwakuni, Japan and took the short trip to Hiroshima and visited Peace Park. Sombering to an 18-year-old. But I remember thinking payback's a biitch.

Glad someone remembered December 7th, though. Believe me, ALL my classes learned/remembered it.

As I get older I find that my awareness and appreciation has increased for American History and the sacrifices people made before me.

My grandfather was a Navy pilot in WWII, and he is one of those guys who has the sharpest memory. He can recall specific details of battles long ago. He can remember the colors of the sky at a particular moment, and it is truly amazing for me to sit and just listen. And it saddens me because I know the days are limited for this astounding group of men and women who lived during all the major conflicts in American history.

Truly a class of people on a whole different level than our current generations.

Of course, but you do know there are over 200 countries in the world, right?

Sure, but you stated it like we had this out pouring of unanimous support around the globe. The fact of the matter is that a number of countries couldnt have been more pleased about 9/11. Iran, Iraq, Syria, Palestine, etc. And mind you, this was before the evil USA invaded the poor innocent nation of Iraq. So, your assertion that our deposing of Saddam made all of these countries who once supported us, now see us as the enemy rings hollow, especially when it comes to muslim countries. They hated us once we began to support Israel. And as long as we support Israel, we will have a bunch of ragheads who will want to kill us. This isnt about Iraq, its about the anti-semitic muzzis around the globe...

Sure, but you stated it like we had this out pouring of unanimous support around the globe. The fact of the matter is that a number of countries couldnt have been more pleased about 9/11. Iran, Iraq, Syria, Palestine, etc. And mind you, this was before the evil USA invaded the poor innocent nation of Iraq. So, your assertion that our deposing of Saddam made all of these countries who once supported us, now see us as the enemy rings hollow, especially when it comes to muslim countries. They hated us once we began to support Israel. And as long as we support Israel, we will have a bunch of ragheads who will want to kill us. This isnt about Iraq, its about the anti-semitic muzzis around the globe...

It's beyond question that the US has been seen as anti-Arab / Muslim for decades. The Iranian Revolution really went a long way to focus that, as did our support of Israel. It's really a case of their hopelessly inadequate leadership diverting attention from their abysmal failure to advance any of their countries (with a couple of minor exceptions) or the region as a whole even though they're sitting on a sea of cash. Much easier to keep pointing at the Great Satan.

That said, the opportunity to unify virtually the entire world against terrorism was there, but completely lost after the invasion of Iraq. No-one else (except the UK, specifically Blair, who I think was totally overwhelmed by the world stage he was suddenly playing on and a few others, somewhat half-heartedly) could see the relevance of Iraq in the larger fight against terrorism. It was that that wrecked any hope of a unified front.

Also, everyone remembers seeing Palestinians and others dancing in the streets, but how many weren't? Even now, not every Arab / Middle Easterner is anti-US. If the number of anti-US Middle Easterners has grown exponentially over the past 4 years, it's difficult to see any reason other than the Iraq invasion.

We have proved the anti-American clerics point for them.