[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Got a major problem, really looking for some thoughts

Hugh 0ne

OK, so I have a 7 year old Weimaraner male. Very good dog, just wants to please. However, he is obsessive with certain things. You can't play ball with him because he won't give the ball back. I mean, to the point of it being disturbing. He gets lock jaw and you would have to kill him to get it away from him. Also, you don't want to get in his face because he will growl at you. He'll come to you and no problem, but if he's sleeping or not in the mood, he will growl if you put your face in his face. Hey, they say you should let sleeping dogs lie, right? He's a good boy. Listens well, likes to play, very friendly with everyone, and except for those 2 issues, he's great. Love him almost like a son.

Anywho, I also have a 2 year old son. And sure enough, last night it happened. The short guy was putzing around, and the wife and I were on the couch. He usually pretty much ignores the dog, but all of a sudden he was in the dogs face, and sure enough, the dog growled and showed his teeth, kinda snapped, but didn't touch the short guy. I assessed the situation, and handled it the way I saw fit.

Now, here's my dilemma. Now what? Do I have to put him down? I love this f'ing dog, and I swear he's a good boy, but is he a liability now? How can I trust him around my kid, and we're having a baby in February. How can I trust him around other kids? I can't place him somewhere and make him someone else's liability. So the way I see it, I have 3 options: Put him down, try putting him on medication (I know nothing about this, so I'm not sure if it's even an option), or muzzle him in the house when he's around the kids.

What the hell?

I love this dog. But good Lord, what if he had bit my son, or one of my nieces or nephews?

I am absolutely beside myself, sick to my stomach, and don't know what to do. :D

Edited by Hugh 0ne

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hugh,

I wouldn't put him down but you may want to consider contacting your local weinaraner rescue agency. They handle situations like this daily. My dad just adopted a 1 year old weinie and she was coming from a home where the parents said that she was snapping at their children. Their situation was different because someone from the rescue agency came to the house to observe the dogs behavior and found that the children were poking the dog with sharp objects. My dad's dog is nuts, no doubt, but she's in a better environment.

Unfortunately, the agency may deem your dog a threat so there is still a possibility that they could put him down.

Edit: To answer your question further, your childs safety should be your first priority.

Edited by twiley

I have 2 dogs and a 1 year old son. They are very good with him, but here is my take:

1. If your dog wanted to hurt your child, he would have. He is warning your child, though the child is too young to understand.

2. Never, ever do I let my son anywhere near my dogs. They are the sweetest dogs ever, but I will never trust my sons health/life to them. Thus, whenever my son gets anywhere close to them, I grab him away.

I wouldn't put the dog down or give it away. Just be every good about keeping the child away, and also praise your dog when he DOES behave around the child.

Hugh,

I wouldn't put him down but you may want to consider contacting your local weinaraner rescue agency. They handle situations like this daily. My dad just adopted a 1 year old weinie and she was coming from a home where the parents said that she was snapping at their childeren. Their situation was different because someone from the rescue agency came to the house to observe the dogs behavior and found that the childeren were poking the dog with sharp objects. My dad's dog is nuts, no doubt, but she's in a better environment.

Unfortunately, the agency may deem your dog a threat so there is still a possibility that they could put him down.

Thanks Twiley for the info. As fellow huddlers who have met my dogs would probably attest, I doubt they'd deem him a threat. He's a happy, playful, and normally well tempered dog. My wife is friendly with several Weim breeders, and she's going to talk to them about it too.

tough call H-1. As someone who has 2 dogs I feel for 'ya. :D

bottom line.... it's a dog, not a person. At 7 years of age it'll be tough to change him, IMO. the dog may feel abit of jealousy having the new addition in the house.... seriously. He was there 5 years before 'lil h-1 & probably thinks his space is being invaded.

the muzzle on him may work but he can't have it on 24-7. If he bites your boy..... it's a no brainer... doggie heaven in an instant. If he bites a neighborhood kid it's also doggie heaven & then call your attorney. Neither are very entertaining options but you gotta remember...... it's a F'n dog.

I have 2 dogs and a 1 year old son. They are very good with him, but here is my take:

1. If your dog wanted to hurt your child, he would have. He is warning your child, though the child is too young to understand.

2. Never, ever do I let my son anywhere near my dogs. They are the sweetest dogs ever, but I will never trust my sons health/life to them. Thus, whenever my son gets anywhere close to them, I grab him away.

I wouldn't put the dog down or give it away. Just be every good about keeping the child away, and also praise your dog when he DOES behave around the child.

yeah i agree with this.

I disagree. Dogs may be mans best friend but they are still animals and animals can turn on a dime. I wouldn't even risk my childs health and well being over keeping a family pet.

that's just me.

I've known too many people who's pets have attacked their children.

Yep. Makes sense. And for the record, we kept them away from each other as warranted, but obviously not enough.

Yep. Makes sense. And for the record, we kept them away from each other as warranted, but obviously not enough.

I think some people are unaware of the size and strength of these dogs. Not only do they have about a 3 foot vertical jump when standing still they're also extremely strong and fast.

The advice of monitoring your dog is sound but you can't keep an eye your dog 24 hours a day.

It's clear the kid has to go.

Watch the Dog Whisperer or rent the season...he deals with this kind of thing. You have to train your dog out of this behavior. It'll take time but unless you don't want to put in the time, there is no reason to abandon the dog yet.

Hugh,

I wouldn't put him down but you may want to consider contacting your local weinaraner rescue agency. They handle situations like this daily. My dad just adopted a 1 year old weinie and she was coming from a home where the parents said that she was snapping at their children. Their situation was different because someone from the rescue agency came to the house to observe the dogs behavior and found that the children were poking the dog with sharp objects. My dad's dog is nuts, no doubt, but she's in a better environment.

Edit: To answer your question further, your childs safety should be your first priority.

This is very good advice. You do not need to put the dog down just get him in a differnet enviroment, one with no children. I would not trust having him in the house even if you "plan" on watching your child constantly around him. Its to easy to turn your back for a moment or you could have the dog locked up somewhere and he gets out and something happens. Your child's safety is far more important but I think you new that anyhow. I know it will be hard to see him go but its for the best, both for the dog and your child.

This is very good advice. You do not need to put the dog down just get him in a differnet enviroment, one with no children. I would not trust having him in the house even if you "plan" on watching your child constantly around him. Its to easy to turn your back for a moment or you could have the dog locked up somewhere and he gets out and something happens. Your child's safety is far more important but I think you new that anyhow. I know it will be hard to see him go but its for the best, both for the dog and your child.

Keep in mind, this is not an agressive dog. It's not like I have to keep him away from the child or he'll bite him, that's not the case at all. The only way there's an issue, is if you get in the dogs face, and even then, it only on certain occasions that he may react agressively. I'm not dealing with Cujo here.

Pretty much figured I'd get both sides of the fence on this one. Strictly to satisfy my curiosity, Spain, cliaz, do you have dogs?

Did, not now.

The whole cleaning up dog sh1t made me realize that we are in fact the pets of the dog and not the other way around.

Edited by cliaz

Keep in mind, this is not an agressive dog. It's not like I have to keep him away from the child or he'll bite him, that's not the case at all. The only way there's an issue, is if you get in the dogs face, and even then, it only on certain occasions that he may react agressively. I'm not dealing with Cujo here.

did he have a chewy toy, bone or ball with him when he showed his teeth to your son ?

You should also train your child not to go around the dog. I'd suggest locking the boy in the closet and feeding him through a hole in the wall until he is 18.

We will, but he's not quite 2 yet, so he doesn't quite get it yet, but we'd work on that as well.

As for the closet, I'm reserving that option for my second one in case it's a girl.

did he have a chewy toy, bone or ball with him when he showed his teeth to your son ?

Nope, he was just sitting there. He's not aggressive with toys or food or bones. I could take the food bowl away from him while he's chowing down and he'd just look at me funny. Wouldn't growl or even get mad.

I think some people are unaware of the size and strength of these dogs. Not only do they have about a 3 foot vertical jump when standing still they're also extremely strong and fast.

The advice of monitoring your dog is sound but you can't keep an eye your dog 24 hours a day.

I agree. I knew a family that had a few Weim's and they seemed very friendly, but I wouldn't want to chance any family members getting hurt. Has he always been protective of these two things (playing ball, gettin in his face)? If not, then what is the next thing he will become protective of and when? ... The inability to answer those questions would be a concern for me.