[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Got a major problem, really looking for some thoughts

Hugh 0ne

I have 2 dogs and no kids. If I had a kid, there is NO way I get rid of the dogs. Theyve been with me through some hard times in my life, and helped me get through them.

Of course not, you love those dogs like they're your children. :D

Edited by chiefjay

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've witnessed the bad side of this many times. If you have any doubts, please find a new home for your pet.

You cannot predict the actions of any animal, and when/if it happens it will be too late. And nobody knows the damage a dog can inflict until it happens.

You always have to put your emotions aside when it comes to your childrens safety. I haven't owned a pet since my child was born, and I'd been a dog owner my entire life until then.

all of the "get rid of the dog" replies have in common the assumption that you can't change the dog's attitude. he's old, he's male, he's not used to kids, whatever. i think the truth is, this CAN be addressed through training. no dog is too old to learn and adapt, it just has to be done using methods the dog understands and responds to.

edit to add: i don't think i agree with the "keep them separated at all times" comments. that just delays the inevitable. you have to be conscious of where they each are at any given time, and never leave them alone together unsupervised. but part of moving toward a positive outcome is going to involve the dog and the kid being comfortable around each other.

Edited by Azazello1313

all of the "get rid of the dog" replies have in common the assumption that you can't change the dog's attitude. he's old, he's male, he's not used to kids, whatever. i think the truth is, this CAN be addressed through training. no dog is too old to learn and adapt, it just has to be done using methods the dog understands and responds to.

Agreed, if not the dog needs to go.

edit to add: i don't think i agree with the "keep them separated at all times" comments. that just delays the inevitable. you have to be conscious of where they each are at any given time, and never leave them alone together unsupervised. but part of moving toward a positive outcome is going to involve the dog and the kid being comfortable around each other.

Wurd. And keep in mind, he didn't bite anyone. Not justifying his behavior, and trust me, he took a beating for it, but just wanted to make that point again. I think they need to be kept separated if they are ever unsupervised, but aside from that, I think we will train my son, and both our dogs on how to deal with each other. He's a generally a good natured dog, so I think he can be trained, I just have to figure out how. :D

:D I wasn't assuming that. I was assuming that no amount of training can guarantee that a dog won't snap at a child if he or she is inclined to so.

that's tough.

the fact that you've had him for awhile, and he knows you are the boss (when your wife is away) would give you reason to believe this is not rampant behavior, and therefore the belief you can train this out of him. can you put him on a leash and "test" him? (not letting your kid within reach of course.......would he do it for you or your wife?......or, you could invite Spain over to the house...........)

we got a dog from the shelter a few years ago (Spaniel/Nefoundland mix) that was very playful and good w/ kids while we were all playing in yard or house. but when he was chewing on a toy and the 2 year old crawled toward him, he growled and snipped at her (but missed). He went back to the shelter the next morning. (The vet said there was no way to be sure you can "train" this out of the dog, we weren't taking a chance). it wasn't worth the risk to us , but we did only have him for a couple days.

Sorry for your predicament, that's tough.

:D I wasn't assuming that. I was assuming that no amount of training can guarantee that a dog won't snap at a child if he or she is inclined to so.

yep, you're assuming exactly what i thought. that "inclination" that you seem to think is set in stone is a result of the dog's attitude, re: submission, aggression, territory, etc. this attitude CAN be modifed through training. any dog owner who thinks otherwise is just too lazy to learn how to take control of the situation.

yep, you're assuming exactly what i thought. that "inclination" that you seem to think is set in stone is a result of the dog's attitude, re: submission, aggression, territory, etc. this attitude CAN be modifed through training. any dog owner who thinks otherwise is just too lazy to learn how to take control of the situation.

:D Then why do dogs that have been through training still occasionally attack people?

Dogs are not automatons. They have free will and instinct. Training is not control. It's not a guarantee.

:D Then why do dogs that have been through training still occasionally attack people?

well sometimes bad behavior has gone unchecked for too long and become too ingrained that it can't be modified. there clearly is a point of no return, where your dog is mean and there's just nothing that can be done. and who knows, it's possible hugh's dog fits that description...but remember, he's never attacked ANYONE. that indicates to me there's a high likelihood that this can be effectively addressed.

well sometimes bad behavior has gone unchecked for too long and become too ingrained that it can't be modified. there clearly is a point of no return, where your dog is mean and there's just nothing that can be done. and who knows, it's possible hugh's dog fits that description...but remember, he's never attacked ANYONE. that indicates to me there's a high likelihood that this can be effectively addressed.

That was my only point. If it's possible, then it's not worth the risk.

I am in the same situation.

Here's what i did. I bought a muzzle for the dog whenever he's around my 2 year old. It won't allow him to open his mouth fully, thereby there is no way he could bite him. Then i purchased an item called "softpaws", it's a plastic dog nail cover that is applied by superglue on each nail, as the nail grows it will grow off, then just apply a new one.

Now i'm fully confindent my dog can be aggressive if provoked by my son without causing him any harm.

It's a win-win. My son is protected and my dog is still allowed in the house at all times.

Dog Muzzles

SoftPaws

Edited by theeohiostate

Nick knows Piton (my dog), and I think he'd agree that Piton's a very friendly dog. It just seems that my very friendly dog has a minor brain malfunction that might make him a liability and or danger to my family. The question is, can we work through this by training ourselves, the dog, and the child, or do we have to get rid of the dog? That's the question I have to get an answer for.