[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Got a major problem, really looking for some thoughts

Hugh 0ne

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My parents dog that just had to be put down did this. You'd ask her to smile and she'd show her teeth like that. It use to freak people out if they had never met the dog before.

our dog "smiles" when we get home too, of course my dog also thinks its a squirrel now and is doing a bang up job digging up all the acorns the squirrels have buried :D

our dog "smiles" when we get home too, of course my dog also thinks its a squirrel now and is doing a bang up job digging up all the acorns the squirrels have buried :D

What would you rather have? A dog that digs up acorns or a dog that loves to roll in dead worms?

My dog loves to roll in dead worms, she gets 4 baths a week and they mostly occur in the morning right when I wake up. :D:bash:

What would you rather have? A dog that digs up acorns or a dog that loves to roll in dead worms?

My dog loves to roll in dead worms, she gets 4 baths a week and they mostly occur in the morning right when I wake up. :D:D

hey, my dog does that, too. she smashes them. if there's a worm on the sidewalk, she'll stick the side of her face on it and try to grind it into the ground. drives me nuts, and i've never figured out why she does it.

OK, so I have a 7 year old Weimaraner male. Very good dog, just wants to please. However, he is obsessive with certain things. You can't play ball with him because he won't give the ball back. I mean, to the point of it being disturbing. He gets lock jaw and you would have to kill him to get it away from him. Also, you don't want to get in his face because he will growl at you. He'll come to you and no problem, but if he's sleeping or not in the mood, he will growl if you put your face in his face. Hey, they say you should let sleeping dogs lie, right? He's a good boy. Listens well, likes to play, very friendly with everyone, and except for those 2 issues, he's great. Love him almost like a son.

Anywho, I also have a 2 year old son. And sure enough, last night it happened. The short guy was putzing around, and the wife and I were on the couch. He usually pretty much ignores the dog, but all of a sudden he was in the dogs face, and sure enough, the dog growled and showed his teeth, kinda snapped, but didn't touch the short guy. I assessed the situation, and handled it the way I saw fit.

Now, here's my dilemma. Now what? Do I have to put him down? I love this f'ing dog, and I swear he's a good boy, but is he a liability now? How can I trust him around my kid, and we're having a baby in February. How can I trust him around other kids? I can't place him somewhere and make him someone else's liability. So the way I see it, I have 3 options: Put him down, try putting him on medication (I know nothing about this, so I'm not sure if it's even an option), or muzzle him in the house when he's around the kids.

What the hell?

I love this dog. But good Lord, what if he had bit my son, or one of my nieces or nephews?

I am absolutely beside myself, sick to my stomach, and don't know what to do. :D

Pal....my neighbor went through this same dilemma. He had two Akita's and then had children. As the children got too big, the male wasn't understanding his place and the hardest thing my neighbor had to do was put the male down. He was a liability, and there was only one person who could control him--couldn't be trusted when the man of the house was gone.

I've seen it happen. I don't know an answer for you. Good luck.

Best of luck with that situation Hugh. I have a Springer and a 14 month old - that Springer takes some abuse from the tyke, but they play like good friends. Hope yours can do the same.

Be careful with that Springer. Mine developed something called Canine Rage Synrome at about age 7. She was sweet as could be with kids, even protective until something changed in her. She began snapping in a blink and killed a couple of other dogs and went after my dad once. :D

• 2 months later...

Nick knows Piton (my dog), and I think he'd agree that Piton's a very friendly dog. It just seems that my very friendly dog has a minor brain malfunction that might make him a liability and or danger to my family. The question is, can we work through this by training ourselves, the dog, and the child, or do we have to get rid of the dog? That's the question I have to get an answer for.

It's been a couple of months. I'm curious how you are making out with the situation. Do you still have the dog? Have you been traning it and if so what training techniques have you been using. Thanks.

It's been a couple of months. I'm curious how you are making out with the situation. Do you still have the dog? Have you been traning it and if so what training techniques have you been using. Thanks.

Killed the dog and buried the f*cker in the back yard. :D

We keep the child and the dog separated. The dog spends more time in his crate than previously, but he still gets a lot of time where he's out and about. We're training both the dog and the child to keep away from each other, and that's working pretty well. The dog is adapting well, and as my son gets older, he'll also better understand exactly how he can and can't approach and interact with the dog.

My dog growls a lot. But, he growls at everyone, and he's never bit anyone.

Still we do a lot of training with the two of them. The dog has to watch out for the kid, and the kid has to be "nice" with the dog. We take his hand and pet the dog gently with it and say "niiiiice". Then if he's around the dog... we remind him to be nice and he pets the dog.

Plus, the kid is constantly feeding the dog, so he's got that going for him. We actually have to make the dog stay in the other room until we're sure the boy has eaten enough... because he would give all his food to the dog if we did nothing.

There is a non-existant line between dog toy and baby toy though, so we have to keep our eyes on both of them constantly. My dog loves squeaky stuff, and I schitt you not... my kid has chewed on the dog's bone. :D

Killed the dog and buried the f*cker in the back yard. :D

We keep the child and the dog separated. The dog spends more time in his crate than previously, but he still gets a lot of time where he's out and about. We're training both the dog and the child to keep away from each other, and that's working pretty well. The dog is adapting well, and as my son gets older, he'll also better understand exactly how he can and can't approach and interact with the dog.

Excellent Hugh! :D It is good to see someone use that gray matter we have up there instead of the typical "kill the dog" response.