[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eagles chances for East crown

xMRogers

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O.k. which championship argument do you want to make with Pittsburgh vs. Philly

Most Recent - Steelers 2005

Recent - Last 20 Years: Winner Pittsburgh

Past - Pittsburgh Easily

Call our Super Bowl win whatever you want, and try to discount the previous ones all you want, but, the Pittsburgh Steelers are a storied franchise, one of three to have captured 5 Lombardi trophies, while the Philadelphia Eagles are still searching for their first......... Those are the facts.

Damn you Menudo. :D

Pens won two in a row in the early 90's...... thanks for playing.

Thanks for reading...I said in the last FIFTEEN years.

Looking fowrward to your new sig line, are you?

And don't bring up championships from the 70's,.....if that's the case, let's go back into the 20's-30's. And let's include all teams, amateur and pro.

Face it, the only thing tilted in this state is your bias.

And don't bring up championships from the 70's,.....if that's the case, let's go back into the 20's-30's. And let's include all teams, amateur and pro.

I was alive for the Steelers 70's championships, so I'm counting them..... :D

O.k. which championship argument do you want to make with Pittsburgh vs. Philly

Most Recent - Steelers 2005

Recent - Last 20 Years: Winner Pittsburgh

Past - Pittsburgh Easily

Call our Super Bowl win whatever you want, and try to discount the previous ones all you want, but, the Pittsburgh Steelers are a storied franchise, one of three to have captured 5 Lombardi trophies, while the Philadelphia Eagles are still searching for their first......... Those are the facts.

when making a statement like "those are the facts", one should know them. i've never been one to pile on you menudo, but you're obviously being blind here.

when making a statement like "those are the facts", one should know them. i've never been one to pile on you menudo, but you're obviously being blind here.

What are you talking about, which of those statements wasn't a 'fact' ?

Edited by Menudo

Menudo, are you on the Steelers payroll?

Menudo, are you on the Steelers payroll?

No, I am just a fan. Fans like their team. It really isn't that hard to figure out.

:D

Edited by Menudo

What are you talking about, which of those statements wasn't a 'fact' ?

well, you can start with the fact that the eagles have 3 championships. i really don't need to go farther than that because all you keep saying is that they don't have any. keep using words like "storied" without taking a look at the history. check out when the eagles were formed...same as your boys i believe. i can look it up but i'm pretty sure they were expansion teams in the same year. don't even get me going about the amazing and entertaining "story" of the pottsville maroons. you guys have picked up 5 rings in the past 40 years and all of a sudden they have a more "storied" history as the city of philly.

i don't even want to bother with the fact that philly has the same number of hockey trophies, more baseball trophies, and a few hall of famers of their own. i also won't bother with the nba trophies philly has. i'm not even a stinking eagles fan, but you need to be called out on some of your comments. and you use the excuse that "i was saying that to a guy i know" yet you continue to pile on.

well, you can start with the fact that the eagles have 3 championships. i really don't need to go farther than that because all you keep saying is that they don't have any. keep using words like "storied" without taking a look at the history. check out when the eagles were formed...same as your boys i believe. i can look it up but i'm pretty sure they were expansion teams in the same year. don't even get me going about the amazing and entertaining "story" of the pottsville maroons. you guys have picked up 5 rings in the past 40 years and all of a sudden they have a more "storied" history as the city of philly.

i don't even want to bother with the fact that philly has the same number of hockey trophies, more baseball trophies, and a few hall of famers of their own. i also won't bother with the nba trophies philly has. i'm not even a stinking eagles fan, but you need to be called out on some of your comments. and you use the excuse that "i was saying that to a guy i know" yet you continue to pile on.

I'm USUALLY very careful to say Super Bowl Trophies or Lombardis when making my arguments. I could care less if Eagles fans great-great grandfather have bragging rights over my great-great grandfather.

Here is the rundown:

MLB

Philadelphia Athletics AL 5 1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930

Philadelphia Phillies NL 1 1980

Pittsburgh Pirates NL 5 1909, 1925, 1960, 1971, 1979

Philadelphia has one more championship, and one since 1930

During my lifetime, the Pirates have one, and the Phillies have one.

Hockey

Pittsburgh Penguins 1992, 1991

Philadelphia Flyers 1974, 1975

They both have two, all came during my lifetime (I was born in 1974)

Pro Football

Philadelphia 1926, 1948, 1949

Pittsburgh 1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 2005

Steelers have 5 Super Bowls in my lifetime, the Eagles have two championships before the 50's

So, just to square things up, you are right, if we go way back in history, Philadelphia has some championships. However, in my lifetime, the success has lied heavily on the Western side of the state.

One other thing, I was clearly playing around, and most Eagles fans know that I was fishing, as the Philly - Pittsburgh battle happens quite a bit around here. One person was getting agitated by it, that person was you, and I apologize that I wasn't clearer in stating my 'not so much facts' :D

I'm USUALLY very careful to say Super Bowl Trophies or Lombardis when making my arguments. I could care less if Eagles fans great-great grandfather have bragging rights over my great-great grandfather.

Here is the rundown:

MLB

Philadelphia Athletics AL 5 1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930

Philadelphia Phillies NL 1 1980

Pittsburgh Pirates NL 5 1909, 1925, 1960, 1971, 1979

Philadelphia has one more championship, and one since 1930

During my lifetime, the Pirates have one, and the Phillies have one.

Hockey

Pittsburgh Penguins 1992, 1991

Philadelphia Flyers 1974, 1975

They both have two, all came during my lifetime (I was born in 1974)

Pro Football

Philadelphia 1926, 1948, 1949

Pittsburgh 1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 2005

Steelers have 5 Super Bowls in my lifetime, the Eagles have two championships before the 50's

So, just to square things up, you are right, if we go way back in history, Philadelphia has some championships. However, in my lifetime, the success has lied heavily on the Western side of the state.

One other thing, I was clearly playing around, and most Eagles fans know that I was fishing, as the Philly - Pittsburgh battle happens quite a bit around here. One person was getting agitated by it, that person was you, and I apologize that I wasn't clearer in stating my 'not so much facts' :D

What about basketball?

FWIW I live about 3 hours from both cities and there are far more Steelers fans here than eagles fans. And it's been this way for as long as I can remember ( not b/c they won last year).

They could make the playoffs. I think the Giants are better so I don't see them winning the division no matter what.

I could honestly see both the giants and the eagles making the playoffs -- but realistically the giants before the eagles.

What about basketball?

Well, it's hard to compare, as Pittsburgh doesn't have a Basketball team. That is the other part of the equation, Philadelphia is about 12 times the size of Pittsburgh, so they have clear financial advatages in modern-day baseball and hockey.

Pitt has the fish that saved it...

But that's not why I rejoined this. Here's the one thing about the playoff race : why does everyone (and I mean here, TV, radio...) seem to be going the "paper" route - meaning everyone is picking Carolina and NYG as the wildcard "cause they are the most talented"?

Really? Are they? Because of what? And I'm not even trying to debate the individual players so much as : the four teams are all 6-6 and have all had peaks and valleys, and those two "better" teams are currently the ones in the valley, so why, in a sport that teams always make a run at the end, would you think those two teams making runs for the hills will be the ones to make it and the two teams that this past week may have 'started' a run with come from behind wins have no shot.

If it's all played on paper, the Steelers, Dolphins and Panthers would be heading for their first round bye's according to many preseason predictions.

Well, it's hard to compare, as Pittsburgh doesn't have a Basketball team. That is the other part of the equation, Philadelphia is about 12 times the size of Pittsburgh, so they have clear financial advatages in modern-day baseball and hockey.

How do they have a financial advantage in hockey?

financial advantage in hockey? your're kidding, right?

The Flyers are owned by a public company, who's directives include slashing payroll in order to maintain their shrinking profit margin. It's why the Flyers were not even involved in ANY free agent spending this past summer, where in prior years, they often took the lead.

The Penguins, meanwhile, are privately owned, and have no corporate handcuffs on their operations in terms of how they are able to persue free agents.

While your argument may have held water some years ago when Comcast was free-spending, to say that the Flyers manintain a financial advantage over anyone today is ludicrous.

FWIW I live about 3 hours from both cities and there are far more Steelers fans here than eagles fans. And it's been this way for as long as I can remember ( not b/c they won last year).

There are a lot of Steelers fans in my area too, and I live just 30 minutes from Philly.

And I agree its not because of last year's SB. I think it has more to do with people who jumped on board the Steelers bandwagon in the late 70's. Similar to another team that took on front-runners in the 70's when they won some championships :D

And since the Steelers play in the AFC, and are not directly competitive to the Eagles, I beleive there are a lot of people who like the Steelers because they are a home-state team. Similar to the St. Louis/KC effect....having lived there, I remember almost no animosity from St. Louis towards Chiefs fans. Same here...while I always root for the Eagles, I can say honestly that I was hoping the Steelers won last year.

Do the Eagles have a chance to win the NFC East. You bet they do. So do the Giants. The Cowboys may have a 2 game lead but that could dissappear very quickly in the next 4 weeks.

I for one was impressed with Garcia's play Monday, and with another weeks practice he will only be better (facing the Skins who wouldn't be). The Eagles have 3 division games in the next 3 weeks. If the can walk away with 2 wins they have a shot.

P.S. Carolina is done. Stick a fork in them

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy

The Flyers are owned by a public company, who's directives include slashing payroll in order to maintain their shrinking profit margin. It's why the Flyers were not even involved in ANY free agent spending this past summer, where in prior years, they often took the lead.

The Penguins, meanwhile, are privately owned, and have no corporate handcuffs on their operations in terms of how they are able to persue free agents.

While your argument may have held water some years ago when Comcast was free-spending, to say that the Flyers manintain a financial advantage over anyone today is ludicrous.

I was assuming that he meant there was no salary caps in baseball or hockey. In baseball his argument holds true, but since there is now a cap in hockey it makes no sense at all.

Yeah, things have changed now, but, they were at a disadvantage for a while there....

Edited by Menudo

There are a lot of Steelers fans in my area too, and I live just 30 minutes from Philly.

And I agree its not because of last year's SB. I think it has more to do with people who jumped on board the Steelers bandwagon in the late 70's. Similar to another team that took on front-runners in the 70's when they won some championships :D

And since the Steelers play in the AFC, and are not directly competitive to the Eagles, I beleive there are a lot of people who like the Steelers because they are a home-state team. Similar to the St. Louis/KC effect....having lived there, I remember almost no animosity from St. Louis towards Chiefs fans. Same here...while I always root for the Eagles, I can say honestly that I was hoping the Steelers won last year.

how many eagles fans came out of the woodwork in their little run they had a few years ago? You know, the run where they just could'nt ever seem to close deal??? :D