[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OK HDTV guys

keggerz

I ordered and just received my Zenith Silver Sensor Digital HDTV UHF Indoor Antenna this antenna will allow you to pick up OTA HD Signals depending on where you are...for me it is a shot in the dark since antennaweb.org said I would need a multi directional antenna with a pre-amp...so I figure that it probably wont work for me but it is worth a shot for the $24 I spent on it...so if it doesnt cut it for me who is interested in taking it off my hands? fwiw you can ask georgemoe and kid cid about the antenna but from everything I read it is one of the best if not the best indoor antennas you can buy....so if it doesnt work I will come back and be like :D and if it works i will report back like :D

OK, this may sound stupid (as I open up myself for nasty comebacks) but why do you need an antenna for a HDTV?

OTA=Over The Air which is how many local stations broadcast their HD Signal and in many areas the locals broadcast those signals in HD but your local cable company may not supply you with that HD signal...at least that is what I think Kid Cid and Georgemoe meant.

Thanks Keggerz, the reason I asked is because a friend of mine works at REX's and he said he wasn't even considering buying a HD until mid 2007 because there are so few stations that broadcast in HD. Another link here asked "how many channels you get in HD" and there was like 10-12. I really have the HD itch and it will happen soon.

Our local cable provider has been in a spat with Fox and, as a result, the cable provider doesn't carry Fox's HD channel. But, it can be picked up with an antenna. That's the only reason I have an antenna in addition to the cable feed.

Around here......cable and dish companies aren't carrying ABC HD.... :D

Interesting Keg....thanks for the info! :bash:

i am just regurgitating info i got from Kid and George...but i have a feeling I am going to have an antenna for sale(i think I need something a bit more powerful due to my distance from the broadcasts :D )

I've used a silver sensor for a few years now. I pick up all my locals with it. It picks up more than my outdoor UHF. :D Granted, it's a crappy outdoor, but still. When we finished our basement, I wired it for an antenna. It's thrown into the ceiling. It gets all of the channels. I can re-aim it if needed, but it's in the sweet spot that gets all channels without needing to be moved.

Interesting Keg....thanks for the info! :D

I'm trying to get a waiver so I can get NY HD since my channels aren't really local anyway. I'm 85 miles from them, they are in the neighboring state, but I have to get waivers from every station to do this.

One of them will probably refuse.

Our local cable provider has been in a spat with Fox and, as a result, the cable provider doesn't carry Fox's HD channel. But, it can be picked up with an antenna. That's the only reason I have an antenna in addition to the cable feed.

Same here. F'n 24 in low def.

Interesting Keg....thanks for the info! :clap:

I'm trying to get a waiver so I can get NY HD since my channels aren't really local anyway. I'm 85 miles from them, they are in the neighboring state, but I have to get waivers from every station to do this.

One of them will probably refuse.

Got just about all the NY waivers myself but they would not grant for ABC. Luckily I get that OTA thanks to the Zenith Silver Sensor. :D

If you are denied, keep calling about them. I was originally denied Fox5 NY but kept calling every month. After three calls I was finally granted the waiver. No so luck with ABC though. I stopped calling after 12 months. :bash:

OK here is the update...I saw my first HD picture last nite :bash:

unfortunately it was very windy and it kept going in and out...and only one channel :D and that channel was the CW :clap:

but I am going to try and reposition it this weekend and see what happens because according to antenna web the CW signal is the farthest from me(not sure if that really means anything) but I am going to hold out hope that I can at least pickup FOX in HD

here is what antennaweb.org shows for me with distances etc:

I cant get this part to line up in the code Box, but the Degree is Compass Orientation followed by Miles From and then the Frequency Assignment.

blue - uhf	WTVZ	33	MNT	NORFOLK	VA			   165°	33.6	33blue - uhf	WVBT	43	FOX	VIRGINIA BEACH	VA		165°	32.7	43blue - vhf	WVEC	13	ABC	HAMPTON 	VA			  162°	34.0	13blue - vhf	WAVY	10	NBC	PORTSMOUTH	VA			165°	32.7	10blue - uhf	WHRO	15	PBS	HAMPTON-NORFOLK	VA	   165°	33.6	15blue - vhf	WTKR	3	 CBS	NORFOLK	VA			   161°	34.1	 3blue - uhf	WGNT	27	CW	 PORTSMOUTH	VA			161°	34.4	27violet - uhf W21AQ	21	FMN	HAMPTON 	VA			  138°	26.3	21violet - uhf W18BS	18	TBN	HAMPTON 	VA			  132°	21.6	18*violet - uhf WTKR-DT 3.1   CBS	NORFOLK	VA			   165°	33.6	40*violet - uhf WHRO-DT 15.1  PBS	HAMPTON-NORFOLK	VA	   165°	33.6	16

The only channel I was able to get tuned in last nite was WGNT 27 CW which is the farthest signal from me.

So Kid or George or anyone is there hope that if i play around with its location that I should be able to get teh other channels tuned in?

Edit: I am using a 15" flat LCD monitor and with by bookmarks closed the code lines up nicely

also STEVE HARVEY looks better in Low Def :D shame his mug was the 1st thing I had to see in HiDef

Edited by keggerz

I ordered and just received my Zenith Silver Sensor Digital HDTV UHF Indoor Antenna this antenna will allow you to pick up OTA HD Signals depending on where you are...for me it is a shot in the dark since antennaweb.org said I would need a multi directional antenna with a pre-amp...so I figure that it probably wont work for me but it is worth a shot for the $24 I spent on it...so if it doesnt cut it for me who is interested in taking it off my hands? fwiw you can ask georgemoe and kid cid about the antenna but from everything I read it is one of the best if not the best indoor antennas you can buy....so if it doesnt work I will come back and be like :D and if it works i will report back like :D

It would likely be more worthless in my area than in yours. But our one local channel as well as the one that broadcasts the Saints games through Mobile are both carried by my provider. The only one I could possibly pick up is out of New Orleans.

It would likely be more worthless in my area than in yours. But our one local channel as well as the one that broadcasts the Saints games through Mobile are both carried by my provider. The only one I could possibly pick up is out of New Orleans.

did you go to antennaweb.org? if not go there and plug in your address and it will give you a list like I posted above

Keg, all I can say is that you should try and get it as high up as possible with no known large intervening objects. It's not quite line of sight, but almost. Alos, you're not going to be able ot get all of the stations as the Silver Sensor is very directional. I'd point it directly at 165 degrees. If you could put the antenna in your attic and run a line down to your TV/box, that might work well.

Keg, all I can say is that you should try and get it as high up as possible with no known large intervening objects. It's not quite line of sight, but almost. Alos, you're not going to be able ot get all of the stations as the Silver Sensor is very directional. I'd point it directly at 165 degrees. If you could put the antenna in your attic and run a line down to your TV/box, that might work well.

165 degrees, how the hel1 do i figure that out, as far as I know North is UP :D

165 degrees, how the hel1 do i figure that out, as far as I know North is UP :D

I think they call it a compass. :D

I have one that DirecTV put in all the dish install kits. As Kid notes, you need height. My SS is on top of the entertainment center. If I were to move it 5 ft lower on top of the subwoofer, my channels would be gone.

Before you start drilling holes, run some RG6 out a window "facing in the direction" of the antenna farm. You really need to pinpoint 165. At 160 or 170 and you may not get anything. I would try that before the attic. Attic's can add a ton of multipath that will cripple any signal you can get. At least outside, you should be getting something.

I think they call it a compass. :D

I have one that DirecTV put in all the dish install kits. As Kid notes, you need height. My SS is on top of the entertainment center. If I were to move it 5 ft lower on top of the subwoofer, my channels would be gone.

Before you start drilling holes, run some RG6 out a window "facing in the direction" of the antenna farm. You really need to pinpoint 165. At 160 or 170 and you may not get anything. I would try that before the attic. Attic's can add a ton of multipath that will cripple any signal you can get. At least outside, you should be getting something.

will needle cork and some water in a bowl work :D

ok I will get the compass later but I just picked up my HD-DVR

its a Motorola DCT3416 I Dual Tuner DVR/HDTV Capable

not sure what any of that means just yet...time to dive on into the manual...will be hooking this puppy up later tonite(should I hook up using the HDMI or the components? I think the answer is HDMI but just want to be sure)

thanks again for all the info from the guys in the know

Edited by keggerz

will needle cork and some water in a bowl work :D

ok I will get the compass later but I just picked up my HD-DVR

its a Magnavox DCT3416 I Dual Tuner DVR/HDTV Capable

not sure what any of that means just yet...time to dive on into the manual...will be hooking this puppy up later tonite(should I hook up using the HDMI or the components? I think the answer is HDMI but just want to be sure)

thanks again for all the info from the guys in the know

I believe it's a Motorola, as it's the same box I have. https://www.whtvdigital.com/pdfs/DCT3400_web.pdf

I get all the local channels in HD on Comcast, and I'm glad, as an antennae wouldn't work well in my area.

FWIW:

My setup is as follows:

1) Comcast box to TV via HDMI

2) Comcast box to TV via coax for normal cable w/ pay channels

3) Comcast box to TV via split coax for basic cable but only thru channels 1-24 Good for PiP only really, or unless I'm recording 2 shows and want to watch something on basic and not watch a show previously recorded! Waiting on a reply from Samsung to get more channels!

4) SS/DVD player is S-Video using the optical SPDIF for sound

5) DVD Recorder is hooked up to TV w/ component cables

6) VCR connected thru the coax for TV

It's my understanding, not sure, that if you connect the HDMI, the box turns off the Component Connection and vice versa.

Edited by rocknrobn26

I believe it's a Motorola, as it's the same box I have. https://www.whtvdigital.com/pdfs/DCT3400_web.pdf

I get all the local channels in HD on Comcast, and I'm glad, as an antennae wouldn't work well in my area.

FWIW:

My setup is as follows:

1) Comcast box to TV via HDMI

2) Comcast box to TV via coax for normal cable w/ pay channels

3) Comcast box to TV via split coax for basic cable but only thru channels 1-24 Good for PiP only really, or unless I'm recording 2 shows and want to watch something on basic and not watch a show previously recorded! Waiting on a reply from Samsung to get more channels!

4) SS/DVD player is S-Video using the optical SPDIF for sound

5) DVD Recorder is hooked up to TV w/ component cables

6) VCR connected thru the coax for TV

It's my understanding, not sure, that if you connect the HDMI, the box turns off the Component Connection and vice versa.

:D yeah motorola