[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shannon Hired at Miami

Jo

As a big Canes fan, I don't like it. I thought they needed an outside influence, an experienced coach, and an offensive one at that, since the O's been putrid for several years. Will he be a good coach and recruiter? Who knows. He'll have to earn his keep. I hope he cleans house on the offensive side of the ball and hires some experienced coordinators around him.

As a big Canes fan, I don't like it. I thought they needed an outside influence, an experienced coach, and an offensive one at that, since the O's been putrid for several years. Will he be a good coach and recruiter? Who knows. He'll have to earn his keep. I hope he cleans house on the offensive side of the ball and hires some experienced coordinators around him.

:D

Agreed. this was a "can't find anyone to take on this train wreck job" safe pick. Miami needs to change their image and get rid of all the thugs they have surrounding the program. Firing that dope commentator was a start. I have never liked Miami, but it is sad to see how far they have fallen. It isn't as fun to watch them lose, because they suck to begin with.

Horrible hire. Why hire inside a staff that has been a complete failure from all angles?

They need someone outside the "U" family that can objectively assess this program. This guy will have the blinders on and its same 'ol, same 'ol.

It's my understanding from reports, that this guy was more an influence on the team the Coker. :D

And they hire him??

Edited by theeohiostate

I know you guys think this is a bad hire but as an alum and a fan, I have to disagree. Shannon is the right man for the job. He's been around UM for years as a player and a coach. He grew up in Miami and has a lot of ties to one of the richest talent pools in the country in South Florida. He will be able to recruit well.

theohiostate said some things that I'll try to address. #1 yes they are hiring from a staff of coaches that has left the 'Canes in disarray. Actually Miami's Defense was pretty good. They had some breakdowns but I attribute that mostly to the offense either going 3 and out or turning the ball over way too many times and leaving the D with a short field. They were actually the 15th ranked defense in the country. In total yards against they're actually about 6th. Not too bad. You have to realize as well that Larry Coker was the head coach. Shannon knew his place and respected Coker and let him run the team as he saw fit. Shannon is a hard nosed type of coach. I fully expect Miami and their players to act accordingly.

It's gonna take some time. Just like Butch Davis turned around the program from the Dennis Erickson era over time, I'm hoping the same will hold true for UM under Shannon.

I know a lot of you guys love to take shots at Miami and that's cool. I fully understand that mentality. 5 Championships plus a few near misses, not to mention a ton of talent playing on Sundays in the NFL makes them stand out and the problems the University has had makes them an easy target. They're still my school and I'm hoping they can return to their glory days.

Until then, onto Boise. :D