[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Christmas Trees

nuke'em ttg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure that I am in the minority here..but...if you don't have a real tree why have one at all?

My folks had a Fake one that looked pretty Real :D .... i had just burned up a vacume suckin up needles the year before so i tried the Fake.....big mistake plus ya have to store the POS.... :D ..love the smell of a real tree when ya drag it in....... :bash:

It's real, and it's spectacular.

Well, it will be once we go cut one down this weekend. This is the way to have one last through the season. The precut trees were likely cut down a good 6 weeks ago up in Canada someplace. By the time you buy them on the lot, they're already pretty dry. 'Round these parts, we can go to a tree farm and cut one down. Super fresh.

Where they're available, I highly recommend the Concolor Fir. Beautiful shape, and the scent is outstanding. Piney, yet also citrus-y. To die for, really.

I am sure that I am in the minority here..but...if you don't have a real tree why have one at all?

that's sort of the way my wife feels about lights on the tree--if you're not going to use real candles why bother with lights (or the whole tree to begin with) :D

that's sort of the way my wife feels about lights on the tree--if you're not going to use real candles why bother with lights (or the whole tree to begin with) :D

While I am sure that you were being facicous, until we had kids we went with candles. (Believe it or not.) Still use very few lights. Mostly homemade ornaments (by kids and grandkids) and some bulbs. In fact... there have been some years we didn't place lights on the tree. It seems less garrish to do so.

Popcorn strung on the tree is another old time tradition.

While I am sure that you were being facicous, until we had kids we went with candles. (Believe it or not.) Still use very few lights. Mostly homemade ornaments (by kids and grandkids) and some bulbs. In fact... there have been some years we didn't place lights on the tree. It seems less garrish to do so.

Popcorn strung on the tree is another old time tradition.

only slightly facetious :D -- but she really does want real candles on our tree once we finally decide to buy a home (our current apartment complex doesn't allow real Christmas trees)

only slightly facetious :D -- but she really does want real candles on our tree once we finally decide to buy a home (our current apartment complex doesn't allow real Christmas trees)

You need to move. LOL

When you go candles you need to be real careful. Best to use a live tree too. Kids need to be on a leash that won't allow them to get within touching range. :D

Now that I think about it... you may not be able to find the right candles here in the states. Been a lot of years since we used them and I'm not sure if you could find Christmas tree candles anymore.

Now that I think about it... you may not be able to find the right candles here in the states.

Yep--she already has it planned out that she will bring them back from Switzerland. (she's pretty serious about it--I'm thinking I am going to have to install a fire-hydrant in our living room)

Yep--she already has it planned out that she will bring them back from Switzerland. (she's pretty serious about it--I'm thinking I am going to have to install a fire-hydrant in our living room)

Excellent. And as long as you are very careful you should have no problem. From the sounds of things I am sure that she knows what she is doing so you should be good to go.

Now go get that house. :D

Dogs can puncture their stomachs if they eat the needles or choke on them. That's why.

Edit: Certain real trees are fine but I'm not going to drive all over the state just to find one.

Edited by twiley

Dogs can puncture their stomachs if they eat the needles. That's why.

And being born leads to death too.... so what?

You teach the dog not to bite the kids and not to eat the needles. *sigh* Have never had a dog that ate the needles.... not once. Have never had a cat or dog that knocked over a tree or even bothered a tree. It's called discipline and training.

I call our house the Sherwood Forest at Christmas time. Along with Purses and shoes, my wife is a tree freak. At last count we have (not kidding here) 6 live trees (two on front porch, 4 on back Deck) of varying sizes and brands.

Then in the house, there are 6 more fake trees of all different heights and themes. We go with the fake inside only because we have animals who like to chew and like Twiley said, its not good for cats or dogs.

My garage has one entire wall shelve dedicated to large Christmas storage boxes.

Just curious, what are the prices your all paying around the country for lets say a 6ft blue spruce? We shelled out almost $225 for our 6 trees at a tree farm nearby. :D

Edited by Cunning Linguist