[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Computer Guru's

billay

stinky b*%!hole.

I've got some info I'm trying to get at on an old floppy, but it's unaccessable via windows. It's using a RAW file system. Is it possible for me to get at this stuff?

TIA

Edited by billay

What is it that belongs to the Computer Guru in your thread title? Your punctuation indicates possession, but then there is nothing following it.

Oh, and as long as I'm already being a dick... :D I might as well give you the bad news. "Raw" isnt' a filesystem, it means your filesystem is unreadable.

What is it that belongs to the Computer Guru in your thread title? Your punctuation indicates possession, but then there is nothing following it.

Oh, and as long as I'm already being a dick... :D I might as well give you the bad news. "Raw" isnt' a filesystem, it means your filesystem is unreadable.

Thanks jacka$$. I think the disk might be from an old brother word processor. Can I assume that if I can find that thing in the attic somewhere then it would still be able to read the disk? Or does it mean the disk is bad?

Thanks jacka$$. I think the disk might be from an old brother word processor. Can I assume that if I can find that thing in the attic somewhere then it would still be able to read the disk? Or does it mean the disk is bad?

If you can find the old computer and if it still works, you have a good chance of the diskette still working. They are fairly durable.

Your problem, BTW, is one that faces system administrators every day. Data recovery often involves old hardware, old operating systems, old backup programs, old media, old media drives, old programs to read the data if you do manage to recover it. All of these may well have been changed or upgraded several times over the years, making recovery of old data extremely difficult and time consuming.

If you can find the old computer and if it still works, you have a good chance of the diskette still working. They are fairly durable.

Your problem, BTW, is one that faces system administrators every day. Data recovery often involves old hardware, old operating systems, old backup programs, old media, old media drives, old programs to read the data if you do manage to recover it. All of these may well have been changed or upgraded several times over the years, making recovery of old data extremely difficult and time consuming.

Much truth spoken here. Even if you can get at the bits of data on the diskette, you may not have software capable of deciphering it. I can tell you that unless you're being audited and it contains old tax returns, it's probably more hassle than its worth.

Well, not quite yet. Is that old Brother computer a proprietary system, using it's own OS, not Windows? If so, you still might be able to read the floppy on that.

That's about the only shot.

Try the floppy in a variety of other PC's, at least 3 more.

If you get the same 'not formatted' message on 3 machines, toast. There are data recovery firms, but that will cost a few hundred. If you want to send it to me after exhausting what you can do, I'll give it a shot, I have a few tools not available to you.

Going through me stuff the other day I found a large number of floppy diskettes ... including several 5 1/4 floppies (if you recall those). I made absolutely no attempt to figure out what they were .... I threw them all away.

this is key info here. should solve your problem.