[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Digital Camera Help

darin3

I'm sure this has been addressed at some point, but with the ever-changing nature of technology, I figured a new thread wouldn't hurt anyone.

I have a rather old (4 years or so) Sony digital camera. It's not a horrible camera, but I really never learned how to utilize all the options... which were aplenty. Also, it seemed to take poor pictures in certain types of light, had odd flash options, etc. All in all, it just had too many bells and whistles.

I still want SOME bells and whistles. I like the black & white / sepia options, etc... but mostly, I want the thing to be simple.

I'd like a larger view screen (the Sony was rather small) and prefer a smaller camera. I do want digital zoom and ample mega-pixels. I won't need big time mega-pixels, as I don't plan on blowing up photos.

Looking to spend in the $200 range, which I think is possible. I'd spend a little more for the right camera, though.

What brands should I be looking at? Avoiding?

Your thoughts and comments, as always, are most appreciated.

i like this guy at that price point.

That is a nice camera. But I'm leery of getting another Sony, as my prior one - as I noted - was a bit difficult to operate. Although, I'm generally happy with it. 6 megapixels is wayyyy more than I need, but hey, I'd take it.

Gonna do a little more research on this one... thanks. :D

I'm a touch biased because I've been a Canon guy for about 20 years. But look at the Canon line. They have very good optics and a lot of different models in your price range. This is one of those times to find a mom and pop camera store and go ask questions.

Here are three links to sites that have a ton of info, reviews and links to best prices.

dpreview

dcresource

Imaging resource

All three of these sites keep up on newest models and do complete tests of most of them so you get an unbiased opinion. Any time i buy a new lense or flash accessory, i check these first.

good luck! :D

edit to add: Check out Canons Powershot line. Many models and features, and prices around what your looking for.

Edited by Cunning Linguist

I'm a touch biased because I've been a Canon guy for about 20 years. But look at the Canon line. They have very good optics and a lot of different models in your price range. This is one of those times to find a mom and pop camera store and go ask questions.

Love my Canon 30D! It replaced a Nikon D100 this summer. What do you use?

Barring something extraordinary, I think I'll get the Canon Elph SD600. $240 at Best Buy. Incredibly good reviews...

Bought the S230 Elph years ago - great optics, easy to use. Fits in my pocket with a metal casing rather than plastic :D great for everyday shots. I still use a film SLR when I need more serious shots, probably move to digital SLR soon as the pricing is getting more attractive

Ended up getting the next generation of the SD600. SD630. It was only $60 more and had a 0.5" bigger screen and "looked cooler". Plus, Best Buy (yes, damn them) had a 18 months same as cash deal on cameras more than $279. So I'll pay that bad boy off in no time.

Thanks for all the info. Will post up after I've taken some pics on my business trip.

Ended up getting the next generation of the SD600. SD630. It was only $60 more and had a 0.5" bigger screen and "looked cooler". Plus, Best Buy (yes, damn them) had a 18 months same as cash deal on cameras more than $279. So I'll pay that bad boy off in no time.

Thanks for all the info. Will post up after I've taken some pics on my business trip.

Nice. I just bought the same camera for the Mrs. I paid 3 bills and got a case and 1 GB chip for it.

Very cool. I was just out looking at camera's and this is the one that I am pretty close to settling on. I wanted to stick to Olympus since I have a ton of memory but I really liked this one. :D

Very cool. I was just out looking at camera's and this is the one that I am pretty close to settling on. I wanted to stick to Olympus since I have a ton of memory but I really liked this one. :D

The Olympus 720 SW is very nice for a little bit more money, including being waterproof to 10 ft and shock proof to 5 feet.

Love my Canon 30D! It replaced a Nikon D100 this summer. What do you use?

I currently have the Canon Digital EOS Rebel SLR. The thing has been on numerous trips without any issues. Had it for about 3 yers now. I sprung for a 75-300mm telephoto lens for it. The EOS body has a built in magnification for it of 1.6 so it's like a 400mm lens. Very cool I do need to get a wide angle lens though. The standard lens just doesn't dial down far enough some times.

hey canon guy do the lenses of the film camera's fit the new digital cameras

i have an elan 7n and im thinken of getting the rebal digital but dont want o get ride of all my lenses??

I currently have the Canon Digital EOS Rebel SLR. The thing has been on numerous trips without any issues. Had it for about 3 yers now. I sprung for a 75-300mm telephoto lens for it. The EOS body has a built in magnification for it of 1.6 so it's like a 400mm lens. Very cool I do need to get a wide angle lens though. The standard lens just doesn't dial down far enough some times.

Nice! I bought the 30D body by itself and added a couple Sigma Lenses; 28-70 for everyday use then a 70-300 Zoom. The external flash is a Canon 580EX, which was worth it for indoor and location shots that i occasionally do for work.

The Canon wide angle lens that I really want is pricey due to the built in image stabilization but it'll make great panoramic images for prints that i sell.

Linky :drooling:

hey canon guy do the lenses of the film camera's fit the new digital cameras

i have an elan 7n and im thinken of getting the rebal digital but dont want o get ride of all my lenses??

The 7n is compatible with EF lenses which is good because the digital Rebel line is also, but to make sure I would call Canon. It may depend on the actual lens.

here is a good link to a site with a ton of Canon q&a.

Canon FAQs