[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

yet another HDTV thread...

HowboutthemCowboys

I just bought one last weekend, 37" Magnavox. I've never watched HD before. When I watched the thursday game on NFLHD there were bars limiting the size of the screen no matter which format I used. Tonight's game the screen is full but the signal is not as good; the picture is awesome but it sorta crackles every once in a while. why was the screen size limited in thursday but not today? FWIW I have digital cable. TIA.

It sounds like it was a non-HD broadcast.

Most new HD displays will show the broadcast information if you press the info button. This is generally the case for OTA signals but could be true for cable signals as well.

480i = standard def

720p, 1080i = hi def

yesterday I had the Colts game on HD(whatever station it was is listed as HD in my digital cable guide) and I had the black bars on each side and i made sure I had it set to 1080i(it didnt look like a HD broadcast to me especially when I switched over to the Eagles/Skins game I was getting via OTA)...are there times that say the CBSHD channel is broadcasting something that isnt HD?

yesterday I had the Colts game on HD(whatever station it was is listed as HD in my digital cable guide) and I had the black bars on each side and i made sure I had it set to 1080i(it didnt look like a HD broadcast to me especially when I switched over to the Eagles/Skins game I was getting via OTA)...are there times that say the CBSHD channel is broadcasting something that isnt HD?

I had pretty much the same thing here. I'm waiting to see the game tonight to see if there is any difference.

The answer will vary here. For DirecTV in my case (HR10-250) , I get two local CBS's. One is SD from DirecTV, Ch.4 Boston, and my OTA of 4.1. The DirecTV 4 is SD and will have the pillar boxes where the 4.1 is HD. I also get CBS out of NY via waivers and that is HD as well.

Multiple tuners = multiple channels, and while the info may say HD, your hardware determines whether you can see it in HD or not.

My buddy had this same problem, and it turned out that he was looking at the coax (cable) input on his TV.

To ensure you are getting the HDTV signal...

- Make sure you are tuned to the HDTV channel, which is probably not the low-numbered one. My HDTV channels are in the 600s.

- Make sure you have a HDMI or component cable running from the cable box to the TV, not a screw-on coax cable which cannot carry hi-def.

- Make sure the TV is set to the HDMI or component input, not "video", or "cable", or "coax".

Hopefully that helps.

My buddy had this same problem, and it turned out that he was looking at the coax (cable) input on his TV.

To ensure you are getting the HDTV signal...

- Make sure you are tuned to the HDTV channel, which is probably not the low-numbered one. My HDTV channels are in the 600s.

- Make sure you have a HDMI or component cable running from the cable box to the TV, not a screw-on coax cable which cannot carry hi-def.

- Make sure the TV is set to the HDMI or component input, not "video", or "cable", or "coax".

Hopefully that helps.

Check, check & double check. The only thing I can say is the cable where my TV is was run by the previous owner & he used a low grade cable. However I am getting high def on the other HD channels so I don't think that is it.

Check, check & double check. The only thing I can say is the cable where my TV is was run by the previous owner & he used a low grade cable. However I am getting high def on the other HD channels so I don't think that is it.

They probably just weren't broadcasting that game in HD. It happens occasionally.

Confirmed at AVS. Ind/Jac was SD only.

thanks and one last question...is it normal for the OTAs to look better then HD I am getting from the digital cable channels(ie: NBCHD, CBSHD etc...not that they are bad just OTA looks better to me)

:D still learning, oh and I tried to watch something in SD after the game and it hurt my eyes...I am now officially an HD Snob :D

thanks and one last question...is it normal for the OTAs to look better then HD I am getting from the digital cable channels(ie: NBCHD, CBSHD etc...not that they are bad just OTA looks better to me)

:D still learning, oh and I tried to watch something in SD after the game and it hurt my eyes...I am now officially an HD Snob :D

Cable, Sat, and OTA, should in theory look the same. But they don't usually because both cable and sat signals are compressed to some extent. OTA signals are pure and this is why to most of us they look better. If you ever hear the term HD Lite, it is referring to cable and sat companies.

Nothing wrong with being an HD snob. :bash:

Nothing wrong with being an HD snob. :D

I have to be honest, prior to getting my HDTV I really thought that HD Hype had to be overblown...I would look at my now tiny 27" SDTV and think there isnt anything wrong with that picture...my god I have never been so wrong on any one thing so badly in my entire life

Are you sure you had the TV set right? I can't help but I can tell you that I had a full screen on TNF and I was in the dot by dot output with 1080i. However, I did not watch it on the NFL network. I watched in on the local CBS station that was in HD.

I set my tv tonight to 1080 and nflnetwork hd is now full screen for the first time. :D Amazing what happens when you read the manual....

Still not sure why the other channels were full screen before and nflnetwork was'nt but it's SWEET now and I guess that's all that matters.

Thanks for the responses guys. :D

I tried to watch something in SD after the game and it hurt my eyes...I am now officially an HD Snob :D

Join the club. I am sad to say that I will watch programs that I normally would not just becuase they are in HD.

I was turned on to HD about two months ago over at my sisters house and I have not looked at tv the same since.

There are still some tweaks that I need to figure out but if it is in HD and it's on an HD channel, then I am all set. I'm not sure I'm going to bother learning the rest. :D