[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Home remodel

Kid Cid

OK, I don't have any pics of the issue right now, but I'll try and get some tonight. The problem is with the shower door as seen here. After Ms Cid and I are done taking showers, there is a fair bit of water that has splashed under the door and outside of the shower. Now, this is only on the left hand side, the doo ron the right hand side doesn't exhibit this behavior. Remember, these are sliding doors, not swing out types.

I've had the lead carpenter look at this issue and he felt that It's in the shower door design. The glass door on that side is the one farthest from the frame. There's approximately a half inch gap between the the bottom of the glass and the frame underneath it and the glass is about 3/4" from the piece of the frame that sticks up to keep the water inside the shower. The shower door guys lowered the glass down as far as they could, but as water runs off the glass, the gap there is big enough for water to splash out of the shower.

This morning the carpenter suggested that a different shower head may help the problem. That's rubbish as far as I'm concerned. What I want is a friggin shower door that keeps the water in the shower, not some mismatched f'ing shower head. The shower door is manufactured by Century.

So I guess my question is, what's the chances of me getting this replaced with a unit that works? More importantly, one that I don't have to pay for? I've forked over big bucks already on this project, I don't think my wallet can handle any more.

If you will provide a picture of the door at the sill, both from outside the shower and from inside the shower where it leaks, a long with a picture of your wife taking a shower, I might have a suggestion.

The first two I can manage. the third one....well let's just say it's not worth having the camera smashed upside my head for. :D

The first two I can manage. the third one....well let's just say it's not worth having the camera smashed upside my head for. :D

I don't think we'll properly be able to answer your question then. We need to see how the water bounces of your wife's brea... err I mean body and towards the door to fully assess the situation. :D

Is the new door new also? If so you may be able to get it replaced free by Century(if their product is faulty) or possibly by the Contractor whom didn't install it properly if it isn't the manufactors fault.

If it isn't new then your wallet will most likely be a bit lighter

If water is coming from under the track, all is needed is some silicone or tub/tile caulk.

If water is coming in between the bottem of the door and the track, then try readjusting the door. Take both doors off and set the roller at the top to the highest setting and see if that drops the door closer to the track.

I don't know if this door has any groves in it for plastic seals to slide in for a more air tight fit. But if so, purchase some.

Being sliders....the two doors should be interchangable, Kid. I'm not saying this would completely eliminate your problem...but did your carpenter try putting the left door on the inner track?

If this is where you get the most splash because of the rainshower head.....it's worth a try. With regular showerheads...most of the splash would be on the opposite wall.....I can see what he's saying, but you're right....that's a ridiculous solution to your problem.

Remember to keep the gaskets on the correct side, according to the manufacturer, so they made need "flip-turned"...not just interchanged. Those tracks should also have tiny drain holes on the shower side, NOT the outside, of the track. They didn't put the bottom track in backwards....did they? If you could....throw up the make and model number of that door....I'll try to find the schematics/installation instructions.....see what might have gone wrong.

Those tracks should also have tiny drain holes on the shower side, NOT the outside, of the track. They didn't put the bottom track in backwards....did they? If you could....throw up the make and model number of that door....I'll try to find the schematics/installation instructions.....see what might have gone wrong.

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

Bunz is right.......i've seen the crack (over lap) in the bypass facin the wrong direction before which would take a direct water hit ...and the weep holes go in......but Contractors are always right so i call Rough Sex :D in the shower breakin the seal somewhere.........Get your Builder a bottle and he'll make the proper adjustments to fit your lifestyle...... :D

Edited by nuke'em ttg

Ok, here's some photos. It's a tight space so I don't know if these are gonna show everything you'd like/need to see. These first 4 (1 2 3 4) are from the outside looking in. You can see where the glass ends and the the gap that is there. The last 2 (5 6) are from the inside. One thing that you've mentioned are drain holes. This frame doesn't have drain holes, the bottom of the sill is angled back so the water drains back into the shower.

Comments?

Edited by Kid Cid

That looks differently from mine. My doors don't slide, but one door opens. It has a track running along the bottom that blocks the water from coming out with some rubber seals along the bottom.

Best pic I have under construction

To my untrained eye, it looks like the bottom "slide" wasnt installed to block the water???

Kid....I've been over to the Century website.....not very helpful as far as schematics. But....these are custom doors. Did Century install them? Or your carpenter?

You have a frameless slider there.....right? Looks to me like there is no rubber gasket of any kind on the bottom of the glass. (Pic 4) Generally with this high end frameless, they'd be clear, polycabonate....but I don't see any. That, combined with no weep holes in the bottom track, leaves no alternative for the water. Now it looks to me that the inside of that track is very shallow....so maybe if the right gaskets are on the glass, no weep holes are necessary. But that would be a manufacturer's design.

Does the track fill with water, slipping under the glass and overflows the higher outside track onto your bathroom floor? If so...no amount of caulk is going to help and you are missing gaskets.

Looking at their parts guides....that looks like the right bottom track for frameless systems, but I think both doors need a gasket and that center guide needed to be sealed on the inside bottom of the track to keep water from transferring from left to right inside the track depending on where the doors are sitting. If you look at the parts guide for framed units, the bottom track CLEARLY has large weep holes cut out of it at the factory. But again...this is for a framed unit.

Century does installations....and regardless of who installed it.....I'd have them out to look at the problem and give you a solution. Those are expensive doors.....surely they'd send out a rep to help you. It honestly could be just a matter of a little $2.00 gasket.....seriously. Call them! :D

Edited by SteelBunz

Century does installations....and regardless of who installed it.....I'd have them out to look at the problem and give you a solution. Those are expensive doors.....surely they'd send out a rep to help you. It honestly could be just a matter of a little $2.00 gasket.....seriously. Call them! :D

That's what it looks like to me as well.

That's what it looks like to me as well.

Yep....if you could visualize the setup straight down onto the bottom track.....a bottom gasket on the inside door would prevent water getting into the track and a bottom gasket on the outside door prevents it from leaving the track to outside your shower. (This is also why the inside piece of track is so shallow...to allow water to flow back into the shower and just evaporate what little is left inside the track during the day.) If the guide block is seated and caulked properly...water could not pass inside the track from left to right. And you should have no leaks.

No bare glass should be gliding on or resting against anything, IMO.

Thanks guys. Yes this is a frameless unit and no, there are no gaskets underneath the doors. We're having a Century rep com out here to take a look. I can't believe that this happens on all the doors of this type they install. I'll keep y'all posted with what we find.