[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest offensive season, Peyton or LT?

FishFreak

Not from a fantasy perspective mind you but who's record is more impressive, Manning's 49 TD passes or LT's 29 TD's (and growing)? I didn't think anything could come close to Petyon's 49 TD's but I'm leaning towards LT's mark. It's a hell of a lot harder to score a rushing TD in the NFL than throw a passing TD. And LT's durability is simply amazing considering the pounding he takes. Every team in the league knows they have to stop LT and they still can't do it. It's not like the Chargers have WR's teams fear. The guy is simply amazing. :D

Interesting ... I like LTs record too ... and I think I like him better as a person, never met either one ... going off of public personas only ...

Which brings up an interesting point.

Neither one has done anything in the playoffs yet ... and yet, no one is claiming LT can't win the big one.

:hmmm:

Neither one has done anything in the playoffs yet ... and yet, no one is claiming LT can't win the big one.

:hmmm:

Think that has more to do with position than the two guys (also age is involved here)

QB's "status" is much more tied to team success than RB. Even if Payton had never won a SB, he'd have gone down as an all timer, and the lack of a ring wouldn't have come up much when comparing say him to Emmitt. However, compare Marino to Elway/Montana, and the very first and last words have "ring" involved.

Other part of it with manning and LT is that LT's only in year 6 while Manning is what, Year 9? If LT doesn't have a ring by year 9, it'll start coming up, but more in a damning of the chargers than a criticism of him.

You want to be teh QB and get the cheerleaders, you gotta take the pressure of being the leader....

as to the question, depends really on where LT finishes. If somehting happens, adn he ends with 29 or 30, I may still lean towards Manning. however, if he gets 6 more (2 a game) and puts it at 35 and pretty much out of reach, go LT. (and if he gets something crazy like 11 more to put it at 40....it's up there with Joey D's 56 gamer and Favre's streak, which a few weeks ago we were talkign about and realized how unbelievable it really is)

I am going to take the opposite view and say Manning's record of 49 td passes. Marino held the record since 1984 before Manning broke it.

The single season TD record has been repeatedly smashed in the last several years. I am not saying it is easy to score a TD in an NFL game, but with the record falling four times since Emmitt set it in 1995 and three times in the last four years (see below) it seems easier to set this record than Manning's.

With Manning's more difficult to accomplish, I would say that his is the greater season than LT's. Of course, if LT goes off and scores 10 more TD's this season, I may rethink that!

Player Team Season TDs

Tomlinson SD 2006 29*

Shaun Alexander SEA 2005 28

Priest Holmes KC 2003 27

Marshall Faulk STL 2000 26

Emmitt Smith DAL 1995 25

Priest Holmes KC 2002 24

Edited by The Wolf

I don't know how you compare the two. I do think Manning's record was a "perfect storm" kind of thing, where he was facing absolutely awful pass Ds in a lot of those games, whereas I think Tomlinson's record would have occurred against anything but a murderer's row of the best run Ds.

Both were (are) spectacular acheivements that are underappreciated by the greater mass of the current pool of football fans.

Edited by Bronco Billy

LT2 in a heartbeat. I think there are a few QBs who could throw to Indy's WRs with such zest and success. There's something about LT2 that allows him to do superhuman things that other RBs just can't.

Plus, watching LT2 is like watching lightning strike over and over again. I've been watching a lot of football while playing my Airplay play-predicting game on my cell phone - LT2 has such a field presence that I just haven't seen before. Peyton Manning can get hot, but half the time it just looks like he's fishing, waiting for the play to emerge. LT2 makes the plays.

Ok ...

24 TDs in a 16 game season = 1.5 TDs / game

40 TDs in a 16 game season = 2.5 TDs / game

If a RB or WR gets 24, I think it's about the same as a QB getting 40 ... from a "wow, that's incredible" perspective.

So, if each rushing TD is 'worth' about 0.6 of a passing TD, then Manning's 49 passing TDs would be 'worth' 29.4 rushing TDs. So, with LTs next TD, he will have had a more impressive scoring season than Manning ... however, Manning may still have a leg-up in terms of yards generated, etc.

That said, from a scoring perspective only, 0.6 passing TDs to each 1.0 rushing TD seems like it's about the right relationship.

PS - I think that each receiving TD is worth about 0.4 receiving TDs ... so, Manning's 49 TDs is worth about the same as Rice's 22 receiving TDs.

Most impressive 'scoring' seasons:

1984 Dan Marino ... 48 passing TDs

1987 Jerry Rice ... 22 receiving TDs and 1 rushing TD (note, in only 73 touches!)

2004 Peyton Manning ... 49 passing TDs

2006 LaDanian Tomlinson ... 2 passing TDs, 26 rushing TDs and 3 receiving TDs

didnt have a chance to read the thread....

for Manning to get a passing TD he needs the WR etc to catch the ball

for LT to get a TD(rushing) he does it alone...

i know LT needs blockers but so does a QB when he is passing...all I am saying is that for a passing TD to be successful then 2 people have to do something right

for a Rushing TD its in your hands

and honestly I dont know which is better but just wanted to add that