[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nigerian Scammers make their way to EBAY

keggerz

:D:D:bash:

as some of you know I had an auction that EBAY killed after it had ended stating the owner of the account didnt make the bids...blah blah blah....

well EBAY was correct in that after I sent the buyer an invoice(prior to them killing the auction) he has responded to the invoice with some emails:

Hi mate,

I am the Greatful man that won your item and i am purchasing this item to my cousin in west africa(Nigeria) as a gift .But i will be offer you $200 for the item and be paying you via PayPal so i will add the amount now and get the payment made. I will be glad and happy if you can sell this item for me and get the item ship out tomorrow morning as soon as the payment confirmation has been recieve,so this is the shipping address below:

Dr Olanrewaju Abiodun

11 Desalu Street,Odo-Ona,

Ibadan,

Oyo State,

Nigeria.

Thanks for the Business.

The bogus Paypal email he sent me(you cant see the actual paypal logos that he used)

You've got new funds!

Dear "keggerz, yeah this had my REAL NAME IN IT THAT THIS Opraher now has" ,

Larry Stanley just sent you money with PayPal.

Larry Stanley is a Verified buyer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Payment Details

Amount: $ 3,583.00

Transaction ID: 5Y758872CS5622206

Subject: Pls Shipping before 12/12/2006

Note:

Sony PlayStation 3 20GB PS3 with FREEBIES (280057071832)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shipping Information

Address: Dr Olanrewaju Abiodun

No11 Desalu Street Apata Odo Ona

Ibadan

Oyo state

Nigeria

Address Status: Confirmed

This PayPal® payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has

been "APPROVED"but will not be credited to your account until the shipment tracking

number is sent to us for shipment verification so as to secure both the buyer and the

seller. Below are the necessary information requested before your account will be credited. Send tracking number to us or email us through this mail paypal_moneycredited@emailaccount.com and our customer service care will attend to you. As soon as you send us the shipment's tracking number to us for security purposes and the safety of the buyer and the seller,the money will be credited to your account.

**PLEASE NOTE**

Once shipment has been verified and the tracking number sent to us,

You will receive a "CONFIRMATION EMAIL" from PayPal® informing you that the Money has been credited.

Thank you for using PayPal!

The PayPal Team

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and

you will not receive a response. For assistance, contact our customer service with PayPal Email paypal_moneycredited@emailaccount.com.

PayPal Email ID : PP315

Copyright © 1999-2006 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal, an eBay company

PayPal (Europe) Ltd. is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority in the United State as an electronic money institution.

PayPal FSA Register Number: 226056

Another "Paypal" email

Dear customer,

This message is originated from paypal company.We have receive an order from our client larry24stanley@yahoo.com regarding the payment made to your paypal account.

The payment has been successfully made but due to security reason we have to receive the shipment tracking number before the next 24hour for the processing of your order.

This a new measure we are taking to protect both our sellers and buyers against fraudlent customers.

Once you have shipped the item send us the shipment tracking number for verification after the number has verify your account will be credited instantly.

This PayPal® payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED"but will not be credited to your account until the shipment reference/tracking number is sent to us for shipment verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller. Below are the necessary information requested before your account will be credited. Send tracking number to us or email us through this mail

**PLEASE NOTE**

Once shipment has been verified and the tracking number sent to us, You will receive a "CONFIRMATION Email" from PayPal® informing you that the Money has been credited.

Note: eBay and Paypal will be responsilbe for the item loss or damage once we recieve the tracking number

Thank you for using PayPal!

The PayPal Team

PayPal, an eBay company

PayPal (Europe) Ltd. is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority in the United State as an electronic money institution.

PayPal FSA Register Number: 226056

and his last email to me this morning:

Hi seller,

The payment has now been made and the money has been deducted from my account. I want the item to be shipped asap and i will like to have the tracking number. Also dont forget to send the shipment tracking number to (paypal_moneycredited@emailaccount.com)in order to credite your account, once they verify the shipment they will credit your account.

thanks for the bussiness

OK so can anyone seriously tell me or recommend how and what I should do? Do I have to seriously worry about my paypal account getting hacked? or my bank account if my paypal is hacked? I guess I should just shut down my Paypal account and open up a new one?

this Fn SUCKS

Are you the least bit tempted to ship out an empty box to see if the money really will transfer? :D

hmmm :D no i dont think i want to F with a scammer when they have so much of my info already

Edited by keggerz

On a more serious note, I would doubt he has any of your info to access your account. He may have your paypal address, but that is most likely just from the outcome of the auction. He would have to have your password as well if he needed to get into your paypal account (at least I would think so). Send all of your emails you have gotten from him to either spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com (whichever they apply to). I don't know that you have to go changing your paypal account around just yet. If you relist your PS3 and try to set up a different Paypal account then I would guess it may take time to "verify" your accounts with Paypal and you may not be able to receive the money in time to sell the PS3 to someone before Christmas ... just a thought.

Yes close that account. And do not even think about sending it.

What you should do it email him a phoney tracking number and keep him going. Save all of the emails and send them to the FBI cyber crime divison.

What I do is this:

email:

Dear so-and-so,

thank you for the payment. Here is the tracking number for the ps III (12345678910). Thanks for the quick payment, it is so nice to deal with someone who is honest. Just an FYI I wasn't born yesterday so your email has been forwarded to the FBI cyber crime division and i've made a report. Also your ebay account has been tagged and the IP address you are using is now being traced.

Oh one more thing, I'm leaving you negative feedback!

Regards,

PSIII owner

Nah- nah-nah-nah-nah

:D:D:bash:

as some of you know I had an auction that EBAY killed after it had ended stating the owner of the account didnt make the bids...blah blah blah....

well EBAY was correct in that after I sent the buyer an invoice(prior to them killing the auction) he has responded to the invoice with some emails:

The bogus Paypal email he sent me(you cant see the actual paypal logos that he used)

Another "Paypal" email

and his last email to me this morning:

OK so can anyone seriously tell me or recommend how and what I should do? Do I have to seriously worry about my paypal account getting hacked? or my bank account if my paypal is hacked? I guess I should just shut down my Paypal account and open up a new one?

this Fn SUCKS

Obviously, report them to both ebay and paypal. And make sure you have unique passwords for ebay, paypal, and anything else (Yahoo! email, etc) that you may be using.

I would be surprised if they can hack into your paypal account, but of course you can't be sure.

I'd mess with him for a good month or so before letting him off the hook. Just keep dangling that carrot in front of him. Make him dance.

if it was just a spam email that got thru and i could do it from an email address I created then maybe, but seriously I am a bit pissed/freaked out by the fact that he has my paypal address, my email addy(which again has my website address in it) :D:D

i think i probably need to get on the phone with both ebay and paypal and whoever else

I'd mess with him for a good month or so before letting him off the hook. Just keep dangling that carrot in front of him. Make him dance.

:D Voltaire has not been around lately. (He was the one doing it with another Nigerian scammer).

I would say contact EBay/Paypal. :D

I would forward all emails to eBay and Paypal customer service, including the ones intially sent to you by eBay, along with any notice of closing your auction. Request Paypal close/freeze your account until this is settled, and that under no circumstances will you ship this item until THEY clear up the confusion, and you know you have your money.

That oughta cover your ass. But that sucks.

Forward the shipping address to Ted Kaczynski, ask him to do you a favor and that you would owe him one.

The sad thing is that people fall for this garbage and some buttonhead gets off scott free.

Edit for asshat = buttonhead :D

Edited by ChuckB

I've heard that eBay doesn't give a f' about customer complaints. I'm interested to see what, if anything, they do.

well for starters their automated reporting system has NOTHING that is even remotely similar to my situation

:D

:D

FWIW, I had a phishing email sent to me saying there was a dispute on an ebay auction at the beginning of this month. I knew I hadn't been involved in an auction with said perpetrator. And did not follow the link they provided in their email but rather opened up eBay separately to check out the auction and supposed seller. I could tell that it was bogus from the get-go as the email address was fishy ... @eebay.com or something stupid like that. I reported it to eBay and got a response from them the same day, but it was basically just a guide on how not to get snowjobbed ... I didn't get the feeling they were going to go after anyone or anything like that. You would probably have to get some kind of authorities involved if you wanted to go that route I would imagine.

I've heard that eBay doesn't give a f' about customer complaints. I'm interested to see what, if anything, they do.

And niether does paypal. A friend of mine got stiffed from someone going through paypal (buying something through ebay) and paypal was no help at all. He doesn't use them anymore.

hey keg -- i found this page on ebay's forums and this one on the UK ebay site after a quick search. seems that these scammers are somehow able to take over legit accounts so that they look like legitimate buyers. unfortunately, i don't think any companies or authorities are willing to do much to help.

man, i'd be so tempted to spend the 10 bucks to send SOMETHING to them, like maybe a poster-sized shot of my middle finger.

And niether does paypal. A friend of mine got stiffed from someone going through paypal (buying something through ebay) and paypal was no help at all. He doesn't use them anymore.

ebay owns paypal, so if one doesn't care, i doubt the other would.