[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is this fair?

Penguinsfan

Someone in my league asked this question today, and it seems fair to me, but thought I'd ask for outside opinions...the situation where scores were previously changed had to do with somebody being awarded yards for a catch that wasn't originally calculated - this happened about two days after the scores were thought to be final and ended up effecting the teams total points in the standings, moving them up - although it didn't end up having a long-term impact. I appreciate the opinions.

Cheers!

Posted on our message board:

I would like the league's permission to six SJax tonight on a conditional term:

As things sit right now, I've made it in to the playoffs and have won my game this week - plus I still have SJax set to play tonight. The only way I could lose and not make the playoffs is if he gets me negative points. Thus, it makes sense to me to not play SJax tonight and take my victory with no risk...

Here's my problem...I seem to remember several weeks ago where some scores were changed several days after they were originally posted for reasons beyond everyone's control. My problem is this: IF this were to happen again and [opponent's] score were to go up or mine down, it is possible that I could still lose the game. Therefore, with permission, I would like to ask that I be able to sit SJax tonight UNLESS the scores end up being changed. Should the scores end up getting changed in a way that will effect my matchup with [opponent] IN ANY WAY (even if it helps MY score) then [Commish] can go back and give me WHATEVER points SJax scores tonight - even if they are negative. My reason is that obviously if I knew that our score would be changed then I would play SJax, but as things are right now I see no reason to and the potential for scores being changed is beyond our control. Hopefully everyone can understand the situation...

Does anyone have a problem with this and can I do it?

Edited by Penguinsfan

I wouldn't allow them to sit SJax here (unless there's a rule about it in your league). I understand the reasoning to want to, but you put the lineup in, it's in. You win or lose based on the results of that lineup. If SJax has -3 cause he was awful tonight, then that's part of the lineup and the timing of the game shouldn't matter.

And I sure as hell wouldn't allow it to be conditional like this.

I guess I should add that we are allowed to change our lineups up until kickoff of that players game. So, in this case he is still allowed to sit SJax and start nobody...or pickup the 8th string RB for STL and start him and earn 0 points.

We have no rule saying that you cannot change your lineup once it's in, unless the game has already started.

Cheers

You cant have your cake and eat it too. He either sits him and hopes the scores dont change or he plays him and deals with whatever happens. This guys want's it all. I'd like a blumpkin everynight but usually have to settle for just taking the crap.

I don't have any issue with him wanting to sit SJax, but no way I'd allow it to be "conditional" ... either start him or sit him & then live with the consequences of that decision, regardless of what happens in the opponent's game.

Not quite the same thing of course as saying "I want to start Marion Barber, but only if he scores more points than Cory Dillon" ... however, allowing any sort of "conditional" lineup starts you down a slippery slope, IMO.

Edited by ts

As a commish, I would not allow a conditional lineup like this. You put in who you think will score the most points and the lineup should stick to whom you enter prior to gametime.

Agreed, but as it stands right now he doesn't need any more points. The only reason he would need more is if something strange happened where the scores were changed in the future...in which case he would then need the points and would obviously start him...but right now we have no reason to think that this would happen (scores getting changed)

Cheers

And I sure as hell wouldn't allow it to be conditional like this.

+1

As commish, I guess I would let him put someone else in,,, I think it's kind of silly, but what the hell he is doing it with the idea to win. Now if the score changes thats just tuff shat. Once the player is in,,, IMOH he's in. S.Jax could get stuffed in the back field and hurt and leave the game with negative numbers, but I doubt it. Also he would have to put some player in that could also end up with neg. numbers.

I don't know how your rules are written, but in almost every case, an owner haso to submit a legal lineup each week. That means that each player slot has to have someone in it. If you want to start a RB that is on a bye, then so be it, but you have to have someone in that starting lineup for each position. You can't just leave a position blank.

If he wants to pick up and start Michael Bennett Kay-Jay Harris for tonight's game, then that should probably be safe for him, but under no circumstance would I as a Commissioner allow a retroactive bench/start based upon whether a score adjustment occurs later in the week. That is 100% unacceptable.

Edited by Savage Beatings

I guess I should add that we are allowed to change our lineups up until kickoff of that players game. So, in this case he is still allowed to sit SJax and start nobody...or pickup the 8th string RB for STL and start him and earn 0 points.

i would force him to do this if he wants to take the zero. or allow him to submit the incomplete lineup if your league doesn't have any rules against that. but i definitely do not think it is reasonable to allow the whole conditional thing.

:D

sounds like this guy is fearful of scores not being concrete/accurate at the start of mnf. gametime decision in ff are often made based on opponant's scores heading into later games. i am going against the grain and say it's a reasonable request.

Award $$ for highest points each week. That'll keep everyone putting in a full lineup.

Not putting in a full lineup is akin to tanking for better draft picks, letting a buddy win, apathy, whatever. In other words, whatever the reason is, its kinda lame.

If he's allowed to change his lineup right up to each player's gametime (something we do in both of my leagues), he has every right to play or not play Jackson as he sees fit. However, in setting his lineup with or without Jackson, he does so knowing what the consequences are to each action and has to accept those consequences as they arise.

:D at playing a player conditionally. GDB FF lawyers.

Award $$ for highest points each week. That'll keep everyone putting in a full lineup.

Not putting in a full lineup is akin to tanking for better draft picks, letting a buddy win, apathy, whatever. In other words, whatever the reason is, its kinda lame.

INteresting idea about $$$ for most points...maybe next year.

on your second point, though, in this case it would be "not putting in a full lineup to guarantee a playoff spot" - IMO it's much less lame and not too bad of an idea

hmm - changes things about whether he starts him or not- still don't think I'd allow the "conditional" non-start although can see the point a bit better now

Agreed, he either starts him or sits him and take the lumps from his decision if it occurs.

Agreed, he either starts him or sits him and take the lumps from his decision if it occurs.

+1

I am never a fan of intentionally taking a zero however past discussions on this board have changed my thinking. If a player can get negative points and cost a team a game (as in this case), I say he has every right to sit him.

This contitionality he is asking to impose makes me laugh...there is no such thing as an "If-Then" lineup in FF. He wants to be strategic and sit SJax to avoid a loss...but should understand and accept that this strategy can backfire if an adjustment to the scoring is made.

Pick your poison, your Commissioner should say.

Edited by The Wolf

You cant have your cake and eat it too. He either sits him and hopes the scores dont change or he plays him and deals with whatever happens. This guys want's it all.

+1

As a commish, I have no problem with him sitting SJax if he wants to cement the victory. But unconditionally. You make the decisions you make with the information you have at the time; that's the whole point of FF.

I mean, it's no different than if he said, "Yeah, I want to start Fason unless he gets less carries than Pinner, in which case I want to start Dayne." There's no way the rest of the league would stand for that, and I'm actually kind of surprised that they're not freaking out about this because it sets an awfully bad precedent.

If it was my league, then I would say start him or sit him, because those are the rules. There are no rules allowing conditional starts, and it's not fair to introduce them at this point in the season.

i would force him to do this if he wants to take the zero. or allow him to submit the incomplete lineup if your league doesn't have any rules against that. but i definitely do not think it is reasonable to allow the whole conditional thing.

+1

I understand the argument for the unconditional non-start. The problem is that as far as the league knows, we have all the information needed right now. We've never allowed a conditionally-based start/sit in the past and probably won't in this case, as some people seem opposed to it. I guess I'm in the minority here because I could see myself in this situation wanting the same thing. The other thing is that his team has been the cinderalla story of the year - started 0-6 and is now looking to be 8-6 with a good shot in the playoffs. I don't think that SJax will get negative points or that the scores will be changed and I think he's just over-thinking the whole thing. I appreciate the opinions, welcome more...

Cheers

I don't know how your rules are written, but in almost every case, an owner haso to submit a legal lineup each week. That means that each player slot has to have someone in it. If you want to start a RB that is on a bye, then so be it, but you have to have someone in that starting lineup for each position. You can't just leave a position blank.

If he wants to pick up and start Michael Bennett for tonight's game, then that should probably be safe for him, but under no circumstance would I as a Commissioner allow a retroactive bench/start based upon whether a score adjustment occurs later in the week. That is 100% unacceptable.

Well put.

I understand the argument for the unconditional non-start. The problem is that as far as the league knows, we have all the information needed right now. We've never allowed a conditionally-based start/sit in the past and probably won't in this case, as some people seem opposed to it. I guess I'm in the minority here because I could see myself in this situation wanting the same thing. The other thing is that his team has been the cinderalla story of the year - started 0-6 and is now looking to be 8-6 with a good shot in the playoffs. I don't think that SJax will get negative points or that the scores will be changed and I think he's just over-thinking the whole thing. I appreciate the opinions, welcome more...

Cheers

I don't think it is even debatable (and I only say this since you said "probably"), if you allow a conditional start for him this week, you will open up a can of worms in your league.

If he wants to pick up and start Michael Bennett for tonight's game, then that should probably be safe for him, but under no circumstance would I as a Commissioner allow a retroactive bench/start based upon whether a score adjustment occurs later in the week. That is 100% unacceptable.

Can't start players that have already played. :D

Edit to add: I wouldn't allow the conditional thing, but don't see a problem with him putting in a back up that would more than likely take a 0.

Edited by Ziachild007

Have him call the NFL offices and speak to "whoever is in charge of changing scoring for the week". Once he has determined that they are/are not considering changing any scores for the week he can submit a proposal to the league based on his findings. If any of his or his opponents players are up for consideration of a change in scoring, then let him do the conditional play.

Otherwise he's stuck like the rest of us with no special treatment.