[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Great space shuttle night launch pic

TimC

I can't help but wonder if that traill is that visible when you watch it live.

The trail is not visible like that live. This was a time-delay picture.

Having said that, I have seen a rocket go up from Cape Canaveral at night (specifically a Delta II Heavy launching a proble to Mercury) and it is impressive to say the least.

The trail is not visible like that live. This was a time-delay picture.

Having said that, I have seen a rocket go up from Cape Canaveral at night (specifically a Delta II Heavy launching a proble to Mercury) and it is impressive to say the least.

I was just going to add that this is a time-delayed exposure but you beat me to it. Impressive photo nonetheless.

Hey, that's my hometown! The picture was shot for my local rag. It's shot near the Marker 32 Marina. Great place to have some drinks and crab legs.

We were down on the beach a little farther south near Ponce Inlet. If you ever get a chance to see a night launch in person I highly recommend it. We live about 40 miles north of the Cape so you can see it very clearly. When it first launches it's so bright that it literally lights up the sky and in the center of it all you can see the night sky turn blue as if it was daytime. Then about 15 -20 seconds after the launch, the sound waves rumble through and shake your windows. It's truly amazing.