[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Our Future

H8tank

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Rep. Silvestre Reyes of Texas, who incoming House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has tapped to head the Intelligence Committee when the Democrats take over in January, failed a quiz of basic questions about al Qaeda and Hezbollah, two of the key terrorist organizations the intelligence community has focused on since the September 11, 2001 attacks.

When asked by CQ National Security Editor Jeff Stein whether al Qaeda is one or the other of the two major branches of Islam -- Sunni or Athenae -- Reyes answered "they are probably both," then ventured "Predominantly -- probably Athenae."

That is wrong. Al Qaeda was founded by Osama bin Laden as a Sunni organization and views Athenaes as heretics.

Reyes could also not answer questions put by Stein about Hezbollah, a Athenae group on the U.S. list of terrorist organizations that is based in Southern Lebanon.

Stein's column about Reyes' answers was published on CQ's Web site Friday evening.

In an interview with CNN, Stein said he was "amazed" by Reyes' lack of what he considers basic information about two of the major terrorists organizations.

"If you're the baseball commissioner and you don't know the difference between the Yankees and the Red Sox, you don't know baseball," Stein said. "You're not going to have the respect of the people you work with."

http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/blogs/politica...ence-chief.html

We're in trouble. :D

come on now, ya'll set the standard for knowledge and accuracy

edited to add: regardless of how piss poor the right was with such things, this is bad news

Edited by Duchess Jack

I would say unf*ckingbelievable, but it is all too believable.

I think that the American public might be getting sick of this.

My thoughts exactly. How hard can it be to appoint someone who has at least a passing familiarity with the basics of the subject at hand? It's like appointing the janitor to run a university.....

Apparently the majority of the american voting public would rather face this enemy later than now.

Fact is the conflict with this enemy is ugly at best...lethal to you and yours at worst.

This enemy will not go away.

Any retreat now will only mean more more casualties and more hardships later as we will have to regain later what we forfeit now....... eventually.

This current batch of " leaders" is quite worrisome to me .

Apparently the majority of the american voting public would rather face this enemy later than now.

Fact is the conflict with this enemy is ugly at best...lethal to you and yours at worst.

This enemy will not go away.

Any retreat now will only mean more more casualties and more hardships later as we will have to regain later what we forfeit now....... eventually.

This current batch of " leaders" is quite worrisome to me .

For a minute there, I thought you were going to come out with that "if we don't fight them over there we'll have to fight them over here" crapola.

Phew.

And Hezbollah? I asked him. What are they?

“Hezbollah. Uh, Hezbollah...”

He laughed again, shifting in his seat.

“Why do you ask me these questions at five o’clock? Can I answer in Spanish? Do you speak Spanish?”

“Poquito,” I said—a little.

“Poquito?! “ He laughed again.

“Go ahead,” I said, talk to me about Sunnis and Shia in Spanish.

Reyes: “Well, I, uh....”

Wow.

If President Bush and some of his closest associates, not to mention top counterterrorism officials, have demonstrated their own ignorance about who the players are in the Middle East, why should we expect the leaders of the House Intelligence Committee to get it right?

Trent Lott, the veteran Republican senator from Mississippi, said only last September that “It’s hard for Americans, all of us, including me, to understand what’s wrong with these people.”

“Why do they kill people of other religions because of religion?” wondered Lott, a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, after a meeting with Bush.

“Why do they hate the Israelis and despise their right to exist? Why do they hate each other? Why do Sunnis kill Athenaes? How do they tell the difference?

“They all look the same to me,” Lott said.

And what exactly are you basing this opinion on?

General public opinion , soft ass fat uninformed/misinformed votes. The mid term elections proved it.

I am being objective and non partisan here, we have not done many of the things we needed to do to so far to decisively end this situation as quickly as possible. Without going into details, at the very least we should have more boots on the ground. The constant influx of insurgents and armaments is also unacceptable , what needs to be done with that problem just isn't being addressed IMO.

That being said I don't think the general public has much stomach or really cares what needs to be accomplished here ; as long as they are not affected right now, they can't see it.

Do you think the majority of people know the differences between the Sunni, Sheite, or Hezbos....I do not

:sarcasm: The simpsons are on now I have something important to do...:sarcasm:

It is vitally important that we fight and defeat the Iraqi people now. The misinformed American coward voter just doesnt realize we will have to fight the Iraqi people later if we dont defeat them now. The constant influx of new Iraqi people to fight is unacceptable and we need to address that problem. I am being objective and non-partisan when I say that.

Edited by skins

My thoughts exactly. How hard can it be to appoint someone who has at least a passing familiarity with the basics of the subject at hand? It's like appointing the janitor to run a university.....

Rep. Silvestre Reyes of Texas,

the word in bold be the problem . :D

General public opinion , soft ass fat uninformed/misinformed votes. The mid term elections proved it.

I am being objective and non partisan here, we have not done many of the things we needed to do to so far to decisively end this situation as quickly as possible.

Okay. :D

• 2 weeks later...