[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fumble/Incomplete Pass ... Anybody else see what I thought I saw?

dubbs

I looked to see if there was a discussion on this but didn't see it if there was. The Grossman "pass" that was recovered by St. Louis but ruled an incomplete pass because his hand was going forward. Was it just me or didn't the ball actually land BEHIND where Grossman "threw" the ball. Isn't this a fumble (lateral) regardless of whether his hand was moving forward or not? I only saw one replay on it as I was distracted with the kid. If so ... HUGH turning point it might have been in the game.

I looked to see if there was a discussion on this but didn't see it if there was. The Grossman "pass" that was recovered by St. Louis but ruled an incomplete pass because his hand was going forward. Was it just me or didn't the ball actually land BEHIND where Grossman "threw" the ball. Isn't this a fumble (lateral) regardless of whether his hand was moving forward or not? I only saw one replay on it as I was distracted with the kid. If so ... HUGH turning point it might have been in the game.

Id have to see it again but you might be right!!!

the announcers said that it doesn't matter which way the ball went, so long as his arm was moving forward it is by rule an incomplete pass

totally retarded rule if you ask me (I saw the ball going backwards too)

that is correct...if the pass is forced backwards by the momentum of the defender, it is NOT ruled a lateral...just an imcomplete pass.

Why this odd rule exists, I have no idea. I too was thinking during the review that it would be ruled a fumble for no other reason than the ball landed two yards behind the point where Grossman threw it.

Wierd.

I thought a backward pass was a fumble. It didn't bounce off someone and go backwards... it left his hand going backwards.

I thought the same thing. I had the TV muted, so I couldn't get Theisman's expert opinion on it though.

A backward pass is a lateral and in turn a fumble if the arm motion was also backward. But in this case, the arm motion was forward (or so they ruled) and the impetous (sp?) of the defensive player's hit made the ball go backward. As long as the ref said the arm was moving in a forward motion, it does not matter where the ball lands.

i just wish they would get rid of this rule so we don't have to have this conversation half a dozen times a year. the worst part about rules like this is when the interpretation or opinion of what one guys sees makes the difference, especially during playoffs like it has happened many times in the past.

The thing that bugged me about that call was that I thought Grossman's arm started moving forward by virtue of having been hit by the defensive player (it pains me to agree with Thiesmann, but I thought he was on the money on this one).

I, Whomper, agree with the post that I have have quoted above me. Im not using this post to pad im simply reassuring the huddler who posted the quote above that I am in agreement with the general sentiments of their post ©