[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another game for you all

cliaz

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well dammit?

So far I've gotten to 78.

There are two things that need to taken into account when placing towers. First off, you do want them near the beginning because it does appear that you get more points for knocking them out early. That said, you do want them in a place where they can reach the last stretch of track so all your towers can gang up on the dots once they get too fast for you to knock them out early.

I've been able to make it so they're all knocked out by or near the second turn up until around 60 or so (with the exception of a few rounds early).

For whatever reason, I can't manage to get past this point though.

up to 81.

you do seem to get more money for knocking them out early, but it has to be the very first second or two that the dots appear at the screen. after that, you get the same amount of money whether you kill them towards the first bend or the last.

as long as it's perfectly aligned with one of the long corridors, you can definitely get to level 50 with a single green tower. placing it along the fourth corridor, the one at the top of the screen, allows you to take them out early and still do this. there are two points, the $40 and $80, where you have to upgrade mid-wave in order to only have one tower, but it makes it easier to plan long-term.

the added range of the blue towers is worth it anytime it gives you access to an entire extra corridor. for example, a blue tower in the middle of the screen, aligned with the sixth corridor, will be able to hit the entire screen. a green tower in the same place would lose that whole first corridor (putting it on the left side would lose the fifth, and also detract from the high fire rate).

also, when aligning towers with the corridors, i think it's better to put them on a side so that the dots will be moving away from them when their firing rate is high. otherwise, in the higher levels, you'll lose the high fire rate when they don't kill the first monster and it has to turn to follow it.

i think it said in the rules that the monsters get stronger by 25% each wave. the problem i see is that the payoff doesn't increase by that same amount, so the game gets suddenly difficult in the 70s. i don't think it's possible to get past the 80s with the weapons the game offers. maybe if we had the all the measurements like the creator does, we could pinpoint the absolute best tower placements mathematically and get to 90... but that would be about it.

So far I've gotten to 78.

There are two things that need to taken into account when placing towers. First off, you do want them near the beginning because it does appear that you get more points for knocking them out early. That said, you do want them in a place where they can reach the last stretch of track so all your towers can gang up on the dots once they get too fast for you to knock them out early.

I've been able to make it so they're all knocked out by or near the second turn up until around 60 or so (with the exception of a few rounds early).

For whatever reason, I can't manage to get past this point though.

As someone said, you only get extra if you nab them REAL early so it helps to put them bunched up as possible @ the beginning.....but only early on till you build up a little, then you pay for not having them more central (I tried putting some on the far left side (left of the 1st run) and didn't seem to get much better or worse results overall). I'm not yet convinced how much extra benny you get having them at the corners either ie vs in the middle of the columns.

problem with the game is that once you kind of know what you are doing, there is no wrong way to do it, with everyone ending around the high 70s regardless of strategy.

Right. I just made it to 83. Using all greens I might add. I may be able to squeak one or two more levels depending on placement. Kill early, kill often.

yeah, and it sucks. it has almost no range, a very slow rate of fire, and only 1.5x the damage of a fully upgraded green.

Yeah, I tried that too. If you can get the upgrade at $15,000 it has killer damage, but I've never gotten close to that amount.

Upgraded to 5000. Gets you nothing.

couldn't manage to save up 15000.

wonder if it's even possible :D .....

.....be back in 20 minutes :D

i don't believe it is possible. i think i figured that you could make roughly 29,000 in money through 80 levels. a fully upgraded flower tower costs 23,000 (3,000 for the tower, 5,000 for the first upgrade, 15,000 for the last upgrade). that means you'd have to make it to level 80 with only 3 green towers (if we're being generous) and the entry level flower tower holding them off. i do not think that is even remotely possible.

Having essentially gotten to the same level as most here using some version or another of the same thing everyone else, I've begun to wonder why the game would be designed to be most successful when you avoided all but one or two of the weapons?

There must be some value to the fire, storm, and stupid cannon.

Things I've tried that had some short term value but ended up letting me down:

1) Placing a bunch of greens right next to the entrance. That's the only way to knock out the bad guys quickly right from the beginning but ultimately the fact that they're not central ends up costing you because they can't keep firing at the dots as they go along the path. One of the things I gauge my progress is how quickly I can mature two towers placed in some ultimately effective position to full strength. If it takes more than 28-30 rounds, then I'm pretty much doomed.

2) Using anything but green and blue towers. Again, there must be something I'm missing here because it would seem odd to build a game like that.

Where I'm headed next:

It would be effective to actually translate the range numbers into what they mean to the game board to determine where blues and greens are the most effective.

Revisting the stupid storm clouds. Maybe they have some effect on the dots that doesn't translate to points.

Having essentially gotten to the same level as most here using some version or another of the same thing everyone else, I've begun to wonder why the game would be designed to be most successful when you avoided all but one or two of the weapons?

1) Placing a bunch of greens right next to the entrance. That's the only way to knock out the bad guys quickly right from the beginning but ultimately the fact that they're not central ends up costing you because they can't keep firing at the dots as they go along the path. One of the things I gauge my progress is how quickly I can mature two towers placed in some ultimately effective position to full strength. If it takes more than 28-30 rounds, then I'm pretty much doomed.

2) Using anything but green and blue towers. Again, there must be something I'm missing here because it would seem odd to build a game like that.

Where I'm headed next:

It would be effective to actually translate the range numbers into what they mean to the game board to determine where blues and greens are the most effective.

Revisting the stupid storm clouds. Maybe they have some effect on the dots that doesn't translate to points.

Sometimes game designer don't really think things through.

I beleive it is impossible to get a fully upgraded flower thingie.

In general there would be a trade off between range/ price/ power, so that you would get advantages from using certain combinations of the elements. But I just don't see it.

Where I'm headed next:

There are a bunch of other games on that site that are extremely simple...it wouldn't surprise me if the design of this game was flawed. I think that the game just tops our around 80...the strength of the horde is growing exponentially (1.25x per round) and the money does not...1.25 to 80th power is around 56 million...the $15K upgrade to the flower tower says that the damage is 900,000 some...the math just doesn't seem to indicate that you can get much further

I've also tried the gaunlet method... placed a total of 7 blue canons along the first corridor (3 on either side and one at the end) as well as a loaded green tower at the end of the second corridor. Figured I would knock out as many as possible right at the beginning. Basically the same results as everything else. :D

if you open a window with just the swf (like the one i linked a couple pages ago) then resize the window so that it's taller than it is wide, then you can place a tower or two right on top of the path where the dots enter. keep upgrading this tower(s) and it takes the dots out VERY fast for the first 50 levels or so. with two greens and one entry-level flower tower holding down the fort i was almost able to get up enough money to fully upgrade the flower tower. i think it may be do-able but you have to get lucky.