[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cordless Drill recommendations

wiegie

This year I said "screw it" and decided to just ask my dad what he wanted for Christmas. He took all of 1.5 seconds to think about it before replying "a cordless drill". (And when I asked if he wanted anything special, all he said was that he wanted an extra battery -- and then he said that it would be a bonus if I could buy a drill such that the battery could be interchanged with other power tools (that, I assume, I will be getting him as presents in the future) :D .)

So, any recommendations? (I'm guessing that he will mostly use it for home-repair stuff, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility that he will use it for construction of some sort or another--I'm not looking to drop a couple of bills on the drill, but I'm not planning on getting him a K-Mart blue-light special either.)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can say from experience the 9.6v Ryobi they sell at Home Depot is worthless. I have used and like DeWalt, Porter Cable, and Ridgid. I recently got a Hitachi miter saw and have been pleased with it but I have not used their drill.

I wouldn't go with anything less than a 14v though, but would guess an 18v is ideal since other cordless tools like a trim saw or recip saw would be better suited with at least 18v.

Does he have any other cordless tools already? ... that might narrow your brands down for you

Edit to add: I have a friend who does electrical work all year long and he uses Craftsman and seems pretty happy with them.

Edited by junebugz

I can say from experience the 9.6v Ryobi they sell at Home Depot is worthless. I have used and like DeWalt, Porter Cable, and Ridgid. I recently got a Hitachi miter saw and have been pleased with it but I have not used their drill.

I wouldn't go with anything less than a 14v though, but would guess an 18v is ideal since other cordless tools like a trim saw or recip saw would be better suited with at least 18v.

Does he have any other cordless tools already? ... that might narrow your brands down for you

Yeah I fell into the 9.6v Ryobi trap. It's OK for very simple jobs that don't require any torque, but it doesn't cut it for me anymore. I've asked for a new drill for Christmas. Hopefully getting a DeWalt, Makita or Craftsman.

I bought my Dad a DeWalt cordless drill for his birthday. It may be a little out of your price range but it's a great drill.

Yep, got one as well. Extra battery too. Awesome battery life, nice torque settings, 2 speeds. Great unit. Don't go less than 18 volts.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_det...?productID=8780

:D

Edit to add: I have a friend who does electrical work all year long and he uses Craftsman and seems pretty happy with them.

All good brands but DeWalt is usually overpriced. My son the carpenter says 18v is a must.

depends on how much he will use it....

alot....dewalt or porter cable

not alot....ryobi, craftsman

18v too

Good point about the Craftsman. When I bought my 18 volt a few yeas back I thought I was getting the top of the line but it's already starting to bite it. It jams up when trying to drill through tile, concrete, etc... Just wasn't made for that I guess. I don't do that much carpentry and other home improvement jobs for it to be biting it already.

Good point about the Craftsman. When I bought my 18 volt a few yeas back I thought I was getting the top of the line but it's already starting to bite it. It jams up when trying to drill through tile, concrete, etc... Just wasn't made for that I guess. I don't do that much carpentry and other home improvement jobs for it to be biting it already.

i have the 18v ryobi and have done some remodeling....nothing too extreme. the battery life isnt the greatest, but it does the job.

i have the 18v ryobi and have done some remodeling....nothing too extreme. the battery life isnt the greatest, but it does the job.

does this mean that if you let it sit for 2 weeks it is dead? i just ask because my 9.6v if it sits for a week dies ... so i just figure with an extra 9v then it should at least hold charge for another week. :D