[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Massive Solar Storm heading to earth

cliaz

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/12/13/s...torm/index.html

Solar storm headed for Earth

By Robert Roy Britt

SPACE.comexternal link

Adjust font size:

Decrease fontDecrease font

Enlarge fontEnlarge font

(SPACE.com) -- Space weather forecasters revised their predictions for storminess after a major flare erupted on the sun overnight threatening damage to communication systems and power grids while offering up the wonder of Northern Lights.

"We're looking for very strong, severe geomagnetic storming" to begin probably around mid-day Thursday, Joe Kunches, Lead Forecaster at the NOAA Space Environment Center, told SPACE.com this afternoon.

The storm is expected to generate aurora or Northern Lights, as far south as the northern United States Thursday night. Astronauts aboard the international space station are not expected to be put at additional risk, Kunches said.

Radio communications, satellites and power grids could face potential interruptions or damage, however.

Solar flares send radiation to Earth within minutes. Some are also accompanied by coronal mass ejections (CME), clouds of charged particles that arrive in a day or two. This flare unleashed a strong CME that's aimed squarely at Earth.

"It's got all the rights stuff," Kunches said.

However, one crucial component to the storm is unknown: its magnetic orientation. If it lines up a certain way with Earth's magnetic field, then the storm essentially pours into our upper atmosphere. If the alignment is otherwise, the storm can pass by the planet with fewer consequences.

Kunches and his team are advising satellite operators and power grid managers to keep an eye on their systems. In the past, CMEs have knocked out satellites and tripped terrestrial power grids.

Engineers have learned to limit switching at electricity transfer stations, and satellite operators sometimes reduce operations or make back-up plans in case a craft is damaged.

Another aspect of a CME involves protons that get pushed along by the shock wave. Sometimes these protons break through Earth's protective magnetic field and flood the outer reaches of the atmosphere -- where the space station orbits -- with radiation.

The science of it all is a gray area, Kunches said. But the best guess now is that there will only be a slight increase in proton activity. That's good news for the astronauts.

"When the shock goes by, we don't expect significant radiation issues," he said.

The astronauts were ordered to a protective area of the space station as a precaution last night.

Now that sunspot number 930 has flared so significantly -- after several days of being quiet -- the forecast calls for a "reasonable chance" of more major flares in coming days, Kunches said.

oh that, yeah...I thought you were predicting doom and gloom...

Oh no no no. One of the things on my 100 to do list before I die is see the northern lights. I'm in maryland (central) and it's suppose to be clear tonight. So i'm hoping that maybe, just maybe i'll catch a flicker.

So what they are saying is that I can expect to NOT be able to watch the game (if played) tonight on my Directv sat?

Gonna be hard enough to keep power... now I have to worry about no sat even if I do keep power. *sigh*

And of course, we won't get the added bonus of the Northern Lights giving a show 'cuz of the overcast and rain along with the wind. Good thing I am from Alaska and have seen them about a gazillion times.

I'm jealous. Are they as they look on TV? Do they move around that fast?

They're as cool as you've heard. Sometimes it looks like a curtain waving in the breeze, only green, blue, purple....

I remember coming home from the office one night about 15 yrs ago and i swear my town was on fire. the colors were low on the horizon and caused a wierd glow above the treeline. The closer i got to the lake, the bigger and cooler it looked!

If its clear here i'm planning on trying to take some night shots down by Lake Michign :D

I'm jealous. Are they as they look on TV? Do they move around that fast?

TV couldn't do justice no matter what kind of picture you got.

Have seen them displayed in several different ways...but the absolute best is when they are a full sheet of light in the sky. Just amazing. And yes... they are quck to be sure.

So how would I go about looking for the northern Lights tonight? I'd love to see that, but I'm not sure if I have to look at a specific time, or if they're gonna' be up there all evening, or what the story is. Anyone know?

Probabbly a stupid question, but I assume I should be looking north? (from Long Island)

So what they are saying is that I can expect to NOT be able to watch the game (if played) tonight on my Directv sat?

Welll if you can't watch it...you won't be the only one. Screw the NFL and the exec's that made that BS decision in the first place. I don't have direct T.V. and the last two Thursday's I have felt like a little kid and someone stole my candy. :birdfingertoyouNFLcommish:

Wacky scientists lead you to believe it's the Northern Lights. Everyone knows the lights are covering the aliens repopulating their underground lairs for the coming invasion....soon.

Tim Cat, you are way off base here...the Northern Lights are a phenomena caused by global warming...or that is what Al Gore tells me.