[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Massive Solar Storm heading to earth

cliaz

Me too. It was grown in Oregon, and had purple hairs and crystals on it.

The most beautiful state i've ever been too. I love the pacific north west. there is something about it that is just so calming to me.

I can't wait to go to Alaska one day.

not a chance--which sucks

It was overcast all day here until about an hour ago, now its clear as a bell. I'll give it a shot.

Cliaz; most times they're green/yellow but I've seen violet/blue shades too. That may be more of the outer space blackness changing the tint through the green hues. :D Its very cool but eerie at the same time!

In my lifetime I've only seen them here 8-10 times, so im not getting my hopes up too much. With all the growth up and down the lakeshore, there is more ambient light from the ground that doesn't help.

Hey Weig, we saw them pretty good up at Ferris a couple times when i went there. You could get on 131 and head north out of GR a few miles and maybe get away from the lights? Weather permitting of course.

Edited by Cunning Linguist

Hey Weig, we saw them pretty good up at Ferris a couple times when i went there. You could get on 131 and head north out of GR a few miles and maybe get away from the lights? Weather permitting of course.

If it stays clear, I was actually thinking about doing just that (or else just heading east on I-96 until I got away from GR). (I've been monitoring this solar storm for the last day or so, just hoping that the clouds will clear.)

useful link: http://www.gedds.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/

If it stays clear, I was actually thinking about doing just that (or else just heading east on I-96 until I got away from GR). (I've been monitoring this solar storm for the last day or so, just hoping that the clouds will clear.)

useful link: http://www.gedds.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/

Great link, thanks! It looks like we may get a shot if the skies play along. I forgot about 96. Twix GR and Muskegon should be good too. I remember a couple higher areas along that way that may be pretty good.

I saw them a few times going between Ferris and Central on M20 back in the day.

They were great a few years ago here in Muskegon. It was during a MNF game that the Broncos were playing. I think Byron Chamberlain or Des Clark scored a touchdown early securing the win so I was able to watch them for a while. All the colors mentioned before! As a science teacher, I like being able to talk about them to my students when the paper gets pictures!!

WOW!!

I just got in from shooting a bunch of images down at the lakefront... man was that a show!

The lights were hanging over the lake the whole time in a hugh curved shape plunging up and down as far north and west as i could see.

My hands were so cold i could barley adjust the camera, but i ended up with 50+ amazing images. All were shot in RAW format, F-2.8 with exposures between 15 & 30 seconds. Tomorrow morning ill convert some of the best and post them up if anyone is interested. The wind was whipping so hard it was tough to keep the camera from shaking even on the tripod.

Cliaz, thanks for posting this! Tomorrow ill do it again with better gear and a flask of elixer. :D

edit to add: saw lots of metors too.

WOW!!

I just got in from shooting a bunch of images down at the lakefront... man was that a show!

The lights were hanging over the lake the whole time in a hugh curved shape plunging up and down as far north and west as i could see.

My hands were so cold i could barley adjust the camera, but i ended up with 50+ amazing images. All were shot in RAW format, F-2.8 with exposures between 15 & 30 seconds. Tomorrow morning ill convert some of the best and post them up if anyone is interested. The wind was whipping so hard it was tough to keep the camera from shaking even on the tripod.

Cliaz, thanks for posting this! Tomorrow ill do it again with better gear and a flask of elixer. :D

edit to add: saw lots of metors too.

Yes please post some if you could. It's foggy here but even if it wasn't I doubt I would be able to see them. I'm smack dab in the middle of Baltimore, Annapolis and Washington DC so the light polution is pretty strong around here.

:D

I thought i shot 50 images... turns out i took 106!

The shots were taken last nite between 7-9:30 pm, at the beach near my office. You can see lake Michigan in some of the pics. It's amazing how many colors the camera captures that the eye can't see since I saw mostly green/yellow, the camera picked up way more. Some also contain the shoreline which shows St. Joseph, MI which is about 30 miles north.

The source files are 80MB each but these are much smaller for quick webview. I was messing with apeture and exposure settings the whole time hoping for the right mix. The streaks were aircraft from O'Hare and Grand Rapids Intl.

Tonight if its clear i plan on shooting more. Hopefully the wind dies down, it was causing slightly blurred images plus i froze my a$$ off :D

Enjoy!

I thought i shot 50 images... turns out i took 106!

The shots were taken last nite between 7-9:30 pm, at the beach near my office. You can see lake Michigan in some of the pics. It's amazing how many colors the camera captures that the eye can't see since I saw mostly green/yellow, the camera picked up way more. Some also contain the shoreline which shows St. Joseph, MI which is about 30 miles north.

The source files are 80MB each but these are much smaller for quick webview. I was messing with apeture and exposure settings the whole time hoping for the right mix. The streaks were aircraft from O'Hare and Grand Rapids Intl.

Tonight if its clear i plan on shooting more. Hopefully the wind dies down, it was causing slightly blurred images plus i froze my a$$ off :bash:

Enjoy!

Holy crap that is bad ass. :D

Post the ones from tonight too! :D

That's awesome! Makes me think of God. What was He thinking when He decided to create something like that? Entertain the humans? Something to mess with when He was bored?

And the only thing I got from this giant solar storm was some extra proton activity. :D