[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Michigan's Henne and Long returning next season

Puddy

Long was being projected as a high first rounder, so I was a little surprised he stayed.

Another year of experience for these guys combined with Manningham and Arrington at the WR spot. That offense is going to be downright scary next year. Now only if the defense can stay strong :D

Updated: Dec. 14, 2006, 1:46 PM ET

QB Henne, OT Long to return for senior seasonsESPN.com news services

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Quarterback Chad Henne and first-team All-America offensive tackle Jake Long announced Thursday that they will return to Michigan for their senior seasons.

"It's best for me and for the team," Long said. "I looked into it a little bit, but I never was close to leaving. I really want my degree, and we have unfinished business as a team."

The third-ranked Wolverines fell just short of earning a berth in this season's BCS title game in Arizona and instead will face Southern California in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 1.

"We have unfinished business," Henne said on a conference call. "I haven't beaten Ohio State. We have a great corps coming back. We have a great chance to do it."

Meanwhile, junior running back Mike Hart said he was "99 percent sure" he would return to Michigan.

Edited by Puddy

Long was being projected as a high first rounder, so I was a little surprised he stayed.

Another year of experience for these guys combined with Manningham and Arrington at the WR spot. That offense is going to be downright scary next year. Now only if the defense can stay strong :D

Updated: Dec. 14, 2006, 1:46 PM ET

QB Henne, OT Long to return for senior seasonsESPN.com news services

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Quarterback Chad Henne and first-team All-America offensive tackle Jake Long announced Thursday that they will return to Michigan for their senior seasons.

"It's best for me and for the team," Long said. "I looked into it a little bit, but I never was close to leaving. I really want my degree, and we have unfinished business as a team."

The third-ranked Wolverines fell just short of earning a berth in this season's BCS title game in Arizona and instead will face Southern California in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 1.

"We have unfinished business," Henne said on a conference call. "I haven't beaten Ohio State. We have a great corps coming back. We have a great chance to do it."

Meanwhile, junior running back Mike Hart said he was "99 percent sure" he would return to Michigan.

Michigan should be loaded next year on offense, defense is a different story. Not to worried about our dl and lb for that matter. Its the secondary safety positions. Recruiting should hopefully fix that, but we need to get

our target guys in. Ronald Johnson, Mike Williams and Warren. Warren is probably a long shot, hes looking at Usc, But JOhnson and Williams are must gets.

well, Michigan QB's should stay in school all 4 years..... They don't exactly light up the NFL..... sans Brady of course.

They put a ton of QB's in the NFL. I'd say they've done as well as any school in getting QB's into the NFL in the last 15-20 years. Granted Brady is by far the best, but for how few jobs there are at that position, Michigan QB's have done well.

Edited by Puddy

Looks like it might be close between USC and Michigan for pre-season #1, and the winner of the Rose should have the inside track. Although I don't know much about who the Gators will lose, so they may be in it too.

I doubt Jarrett will stay, but if he does, USC will likely take that spot. Not that pre-season polls mean much....

They put a ton of QB's in the NFL. I'd say they've done as well as any school in getting QB's into the NFL in the last 15-20 years. Granted Brady is by far the best, but for how few jobs there are at that position, Michigan QB's have done well.

Good point, they do put a lot in the NFL, it just seems like they are never outstanding.

Except for Brady, most Mich QB's end up being journeyman. Harbaugh, Griese, Collins,

well, Michigan QB's should stay in school all 4 years..... They don't exactly light up the NFL..... sans Brady of course.

I'm not really sure of that many schools that consitantly send better QBs to the next level. Off the top of my head, I can think of Brady, Grbac, and Greise. One is great, the other two at least had their moments. Mind you, that's not enought to call them QB U. However, combined with the fact that (also off the top of my head) I can't think of another school that has great QBs all over the league means that they're at least not known for turning out hacks.

Good point, they do put a lot in the NFL, it just seems like they are never outstanding.

Except for Brady, most Mich QB's end up being journeyman. Harbaugh, Griese, Collins,

If you're talking about Kerry Collins, he went to Penn St. I believe.

If you're talking about Kerry Collins, he went to Penn St. I believe.

the infamous Todd Collins.... :D Yeah, Mich does a good job of putting huys in the NFL fo sure. Just seems to me they never are top notch, and are more of an average, journeyman QB IMO. Saw an article on it, scout saying Mich QB's move on to the NFL alot b/c of solid skills, and top notch QB smarts, which obviously can go a long way in the NFL.

the infamous Todd Collins.... :D Yeah, Mich does a good job of putting huys in the NFL fo sure. Just seems to me they never are top notch, and are more of an average, journeyman QB IMO. Saw an article on it, scout saying Mich QB's move on to the NFL alot b/c of solid skills, and top notch QB smarts, which obviously can go a long way in the NFL.

Not to be confrontational, but I'm having a hard time coming up with many schools that have a better track record over, say the last 20 years or so.

Any thoughts?

Miami sent Jim Kelly, Vinny T, and Bernie Cosar (but you do need to go back a bit over 20 years for those guys). More recently I can't think of a whole lot. Toretta didn't make it, Dorsey only briefly started for the Niners. Am I missing anyone?

Florida sent a number of guys during Spurrier's years but that crew doesn't match Michigan.

Honestly, I'm really having a hard time coming up with any school that can match Michigan's track record of late.

I've got to be missing somebody.

Not to be confrontational, but I'm having a hard time coming up with many schools that have a better track record over, say the last 20 years or so.

Any thoughts?

Miami sent Jim Kelly, Vinny T, and Bernie Cosar (but you do need to go back a bit over 20 years for those guys). More recently I can't think of a whole lot. Toretta didn't make it, Dorsey only briefly started for the Niners. Am I missing anyone?

Florida sent a number of guys during Spurrier's years but that crew doesn't match Michigan.

Honestly, I'm really having a hard time coming up with any school that can match Michigan's track record of late.

I've got to be missing somebody.

will take a look when I have some time- I just glanced at current QB's - man the best ones come from everywhere, and as for pure numbers you are probably right - Mich has an excellent track record. I was just pointing out that besides Brady, no one really has been a top notch QB.

some that come to mind for pure #'s

Wash - pretty good crew- Moon, Brunell, Chandler, Hobert, Huard, Tui, Pickett, quite a few

USC- Peete, Palmer, Leinart, Marinovich, R Johnson, probly more I am missing

UCLA, WSU -

will take a look when I have some time- I just glanced at current QB's - man the best ones come from everywhere, and as for pure numbers you are probably right - Mich has an excellent track record. I was just pointing out that besides Brady, no one really has been a top notch QB.

some that come to mind for pure #'s

Wash - pretty good crew- Moon, Brunell, Chandler, Hobert, Huard, Tui, Pickett, quite a few

USC- Peete, Palmer, Leinart, Marinovich, R Johnson, probly more I am missing

UCLA, WSU -

OK, obviously I missed USC big time.

Funny you bring up UW. I was actually a fan going back and once noticed that we had a ton of QBs in the league at the time. Some that you failed to mention: Steve Pelluer (sp?) who I think played for Dallas and Hugh Millen.

Certainly you are right that nobody from Mich but Brady is all that at the NFL level. I guess my point was that not many if any schools could claim any better.

OK, obviously I missed USC big time.

Funny you bring up UW. I was actually a fan going back and once noticed that we had a ton of QBs in the league at the time. Some that you failed to mention: Steve Pelluer (sp?) who I think played for Dallas and Hugh Millen.

Certainly you are right that nobody from Mich but Brady is all that at the NFL level. I guess my point was that not many if any schools could claim any better.

Which schools currently boast more than 1 starting NFL QB? Without thinking too hard about it, Marshall is the only one I can think of (Pennington and Leftwich, who is injured) outside of USC, who also has 2. Funny that a MAC team can put two guys in the NFL, both of which have led their teams to the playoffs.

Which schools currently boast more than 1 starting NFL QB? Without thinking too hard about it, Marshall is the only one I can think of (Pennington and Leftwich, who is injured) outside of USC, who also has 2. Funny that a MAC team can put two guys in the NFL, both of which have led their teams to the playoffs.

yeah it is - it is amazing to me that top NFL QB's can come from anywhere really and no one has a lock on producing the top QB's- I mean, a very quick rundown of the best QB's........in no part, order

Tenn

Purdue

Mich

USC

Syracuse

Pitt

BC

S Miss

Acorn St.

Va Tech

NC State

E wash

Marshall - these guys can come from anywhere

yeah it is - it is amazing to me that top NFL QB's can come from anywhere really and no one has a lock on producing the top QB's- I mean, a very quick rundown of the best QB's........in no part, order

Tenn

Purdue

Mich

USC

Syracuse

Pitt

BC

S Miss

Acorn St.

Va Tech

NC State

E wash

Who's from Pitt? Are you sticking Kitna on that list (E Wash I think)? Not so sure the last time I heard him mentioned among "the best". You may as well put SJ State for Garcia then.

Tenn

Purdue

Mich

USC

Syracuse

Pitt

BC

S Miss

Acorn St.

Va Tech

NC State

E wash

You are forgetting Texas. :D

Who's from Pitt? Are you sticking Kitna on that list (E Wash I think)? Not so sure the last time I heard him mentioned among "the best". You may as well put SJ State for Garcia then.

Just glanced at FF leaders, and other top QB that came to mind- I am by no means putting Kitna there as a top QB, I have been down on Kitna as a QB, but he has produced FF-wise is all. Pitt - Bulger, who is underrated IMO, and in the right O would be lethal.

Just showing how varied these schools are that produce NFL starting QB's.

Tenn

Purdue

Mich

USC

Syracuse

Pitt

BC

S Miss

Acorn St.

Va Tech

NC State

E wash

Whereas certain schools produce top shelf RBs consistently...Miama has James, Portis, Gore, and McGahee starting every Sunday. That's damn impressive.