[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I am LIVID!

darin3

So I buy that new Canon SD-630 Elph digital camera. Awesome camera. Took it with me on my business trip to Florida, snapped a bunch of pics of the projects I inspected, a few pics of the ocean, etc....

I made the mistake of packing the camera in my checked baggage, 'cuz when I got to California, the thing was GONE. I am so f'in pissed. And Delta? Yeah, they can't be held responsible for lost cash, jewelry or camera equipment from checked baggage. WHAT? We can't lock our luggage now. So what Delta (and I'm assuming all airlines) are saying is: basically, we hire criminals... and we don't care.

So I just sent Delta a pretty scathing email. Not only is my camera gone, but I got screwwed out of $5 when I tried to order an in-flight movie (Miami Vice) on their neato seat-back TVs (a la Jet Blue). Stupid movie started more than halfway through. And on top of that, their TV screens are touch-screens.. real smart, having someone tapping on the back of your seat for 4 hours.

I cannot even begin to explain how ticked I am right now. I have to go buy another f'in camera.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sucks Darin, just as much as it sucked for Az. But for the life of me...I cant understand why you guys put valuables in checked luggage. Way back in the day, about 15 years ago, someone stole a new baseball cap out of my luggage, after that I "Saran Wrapped" my luggage. You obviously can't do that anymore. But it became a lesson.

My traveling days through airports these days are almost allways comprised of carry-ons. If anything is being checked on, I sort stuff as "replaceable" in my checked luggage and "un-replaceable" in my carry on. Sometimes if flights become full, they will make you gate check your boderline size carry-on during boarding. Even then I go through and take things out as necessary. No baggage handler is going ever see my Arteryx jacket, camera, DVD player, or lap top.

What a total bummer. :D

This is one of the reasons I haven't checked baggage in over 10 years. I basically travel with a soft sided duffel bag, it can fit into almost any space, and I can iron my clothes at my destination if I need to. Also, I save all that time waiting for baggage.

Sorry to hear 'D'! :D

I don't think it's TSA. The baggage handlers have way more opportunities to rip you off!

I know this solution is not perfect, but it's worked for me:

TSA approved locks....

They also indicate if TSA has opened them. In the last 4 years or so they only opened ours twice.

That sucks, I always use carry on when i fly. i never check baggage.

I saw an expose/sting operation on this once....most of the stealing goes on in the plane's cargo hold while loading and unloading by the baggage handlers. They have quite a nice black market going on there. So unless they are going to put cameras in the bellies of the planes.....cameras won't work. :bash:

Would piss me off too Darin. :D

But honestly....carryon anything expensive. If it's a pain in the :D , box it up and ship it home UPS. Or.....sorry to say....don't take it at all. :clap:

That sucks Darin, just as much as it sucked for Az. But for the life of me...I cant understand why you guys put valuables in checked luggage. Way back in the day, about 15 years ago, someone stole a new baseball cap out of my luggage, after that I "Saran Wrapped" my luggage. You obviously can't do that anymore. But it became a lesson.

My traveling days through airports these days are almost allways comprised of carry-ons. If anything is being checked on, I sort stuff as "replaceable" in my checked luggage and "un-replaceable" in my carry on. Sometimes if flights become full, they will make you gate check your boderline size carry-on during boarding. Even then I go through and take things out as necessary. No baggage handler is going ever see my Arteryx jacket, camera, DVD player, or lap top.

Boy I'm sorry to hear about that ... I ALWAYS carry on computer/camera.

That sucks, I never check any electronic equipment for that reason alone.

I usually bring my camera and laptop AND DVD player with me in my carry-on, but on my trip out, my carry-on was so bulky and hard to manage... I never knew this kind of thing was so prevalent.

No response from Delta or TSA yet. I am going to give the Better Business Bureau a shot. Can't hurt.

Sorry to hear 'D'! :D

I don't think it's TSA. The baggage handlers have way more opportunities to rip you off!

I know this solution is not perfect, but it's worked for me:

TSA approved locks....

They also indicate if TSA has opened them. In the last 4 years or so they only opened ours twice.

Good call on that RR. I will have to pick some up!!

Darin,

I know this doesn't help you with this situation, but if you ltimately don't recover your camera, consider looking at that Olympus I suggested. One added feature is that it is so small it will go in your pocket, and you would hardly know it's there. Really. That's one of the major reasons I bought mine.

Darin,

I know this doesn't help you with this situation, but if you ltimately don't recover your camera, consider looking at that Olympus I suggested. One added feature is that it is so small it will go in your pocket, and you would hardly know it's there. Really. That's one of the major reasons I bought mine.

Which model, CN? Olympus makes great cameras!

So for the hijack.

Darin,

Well, the Canon was tiny/light too. Irks me even more, 'cuz I could have easily fit it in my carry-on... but the case that I had (from my older, bulkier Sony) was a pain. I never thought this would happen. Silly me.