[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HOW MANY PICKED SA OVER LT IN THE DRAFT?

pmaddock

Forum members,

I have been beating myself over this all year. I had the #1 pick in my draft and picked SA over LT. How many of you all did the same thing, what did you end up doing with SA, and how have you survived this season? Luckily I made some decent trade moves (traded for Bears), had a decent follow-up draft after my SA #1 pick, made some good roster moves (picking up Colston week #2) and had some good luck. I actually traded SA for McGahee and Crumpler the week before McGahee got hurt the first time, and eventually traded McGahee for TJ. I ended the regular season at 9-4 (tied for division lead), won my first playoff game, and now need to beat Brees and LT to go to the Superbowl. I am looking forward to your responses.

PM

You're a tool if you did.

So what does that mean? I picked SA based on the following reasons:

1. SA's record setting season last year

2. LT having a new unproven QB to deal with

3. LJ losing key offensive line blockers and having a new coach to deal with

I thought SA had the less change to deal with and no one out there could have foreseen his injury season and LT's record breaking season. On looking back, obviously my draft pick was a huge mistake, but who would have known. I don't feel picking Shawn Alexander was a "tool" move. I would appreciate if you could expound on your response.

PM

You're a tool if you did.

So what does that mean? I picked SA based on the following reasons:

1. SA's record setting season last year

2. LT having a new unproven QB to deal with

3. LJ losing key offensive line blockers and having a new coach to deal with

I thought SA had the less change to deal with and no one out there could have foreseen his injury season and LT's record breaking season. On looking back, obviously my draft pick was a huge mistake, but who would have known. I don't feel picking Shawn Alexander was a "tool" move. I would appreciate if you could expound on your response.

PM

dont fret buddy...this is a guy who has the falcons and broncos meeting in the superbowl

at the time, SA seemed like the "safest" pick of the 3, with no less than 16 td's and 1600 combined yards since becoming their starter (5 straight years). injury can happen to anyone, anytime. despite his lowered production, had he been healthy all year, he still would have been a high scoring rb.

at the time, SA seemed like the "safest" pick of the 3, with no less than 16 td's and 1600 combined yards since becoming their starter (5 straight years). injury can happen to anyone, anytime. despite his lowered production, had he been healthy all year, he still would have been a high scoring rb.

of coarse in a ppr, lj and lt's values increase even more

In a 10 team Auction/Keeper League I came into the auction with LJ for cheap (I lose him after this year), as well as Juilus Jones and FWP at real deals, so I blew half of my entire budget on Alexander. $75.

LT was available as well and went next for $72. No other player came close to those prices.

I had valued SA slightly ahead of LT partly because I wasn't sure about Rivers, but mostly because I'd never owned SA before and he's killed me so many times.

Well he might kill me again this year.

I'm still in the playoffs though, and the guy with LT is out.

That's another reason why I drafted SA. I had made up my mind that if I were lucky enough to draw the Ace, I was going to pick SA. He has also beaten my butt numerous times through the years, and I wanted to start administering some beatings myself. I seem to be my own Madden curse through the years. I drafted Jerry Rice in the first round several years, the year he had his only (for his career) season ending injury. I drafted Jamal Anderson in the first round the year he had his first ACL. I even drafted LT 2 years ago in the first round, the year he was hurt for half the year. Now I draft SA for the first time ever, and look what happened to him this year. I should be on the Madden game software.

I had 2nd pick - if I had first pick, I know at the time I woulda' taken Alexander. Don't beat yourself up over that.

Fortunately for me, SA went first, and I did take LT over LJ at #2.

I had third pick. I knew that I was going to be happy with which ever one fell to me. In my heart though I was wishing that SA would be the one to fall. It was LJ and while I would have traded heads up with the SA owner at that time, he was not willing to move at all. I am very happy he shut me down.

In our redraft league, LJ went 1st, and I picked SA 2nd. I squeaked into the playoffs, but have to play the division winner this week (the guy who picked 3rd, and took LT).

I DID know of the Madden curse, and (unfortunately) didn't let that be a part of my decision. I was unsure of how a new QB in San Diego would change the chemistry on the team, and went with what I thought was the "safer" pick in SA.

I have hung onto him all year, and his sub-par performance on Thursday night will make my matchup against LT all the more difficult.

I had 2nd pick - if I had first pick, I know at the time I woulda' taken Alexander. Don't beat yourself up over that.

Fortunately for me, SA went first, and I did take LT over LJ at #2.

Similar situation for me in the draft except I was #3. I was actually disappointed when SA was taken #2 overall (because he was the RB I wanted, LJ went with the first pick) and so I took LT #3.

Obviously, this ended up working out okay for me this season. :D

LT was banged up and largely ineffective by the end of last year, which I think led a lot of people to believe that he may be wearing down. He was aided a lot during the beginning of this year by the use of Michael Turner, and I think that's helped LT be strong down the stretch.

SA, in contrast, had never been injured prior to this year.

I'm in a dynasty league so it never applied to me, but if I had to draft from scratch at the beginning of the year I would have taken SA myself.

Edited by Crazysight