[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How does block punt NOT EQUAL defense ball?

scuba chuck

but why is it a $hit rule? i've watched a ton of football this season, and this is the only play i can think of where something like this happened. the rule book should be changed over this one play? come on.

Are you f'n kidding me? Explain to me how it should have been Chargers ball...please?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Rule books are virtually always changed over one play. Something happens that has never happened before, or so long ago everyone has forgotten it.

The rule should remain as it is except "line of scrimmage" needs to be replaced with "first down line".

was the tuck rule changed? i don't remember, and a google search doesn't indicate that it was. if anything, that's the rule that should've been changed because of a single play.

why does changing "line of scrimmage" to "first down line" make the rule any less arbitrary? seems to me it would be easier just to teach special teams players not to touch the ball after a partially blocked punt.

Are you f'n kidding me? Explain to me how it should have been Chargers ball...please?

the ball traveled past the line of scrimmage, making it just like any other punt. the KC guy picked it up and dropped it, essentially muffing it. chargers recover. it doesn't matter that it was partially blocked. like i said before, it would've been the same as kicking into a strong wind. i'm not the only one here who sees the rule as pretty clear-cut. and i'm not trying to be a d!ck here, but i can't see how anyone can argue this was a blown call. blame the KC guy for touching it, not the ref.

was the tuck rule changed? i don't remember, and a google search doesn't indicate that it was. if anything, that's the rule that should've been changed because of a single play.

why does changing "line of scrimmage" to "first down line" make the rule any less arbitrary? seems to me it would be easier just to teach special teams players not to touch the ball after a partially blocked punt.

Exactly, if that dufus doesn't touch it, it's Chiefs ball. But it's the rules fault. LMAO

No change of possession & no first down.

Because at least this kind of play occurring after the first down line is crossed would mean the offense had gained 10 yards. It's not just a case of teaching players to stay away from the ball - what if it bounces into one? It's already been partially blocked so it's going all over the place. It's nonsense, IMO, to award a first down to a team that has not gained 10 yards and had the ball bounce to them off a player who may not even be looking.

I have to say as an LT fan I was absolutely thrilled by the ruling after he broke off the 85 yd TD run!!!!! :D

Because at least this kind of play occurring after the first down line is crossed would mean the offense had gained 10 yards. It's not just a case of teaching players to stay away from the ball - what if it bounces into one? It's already been partially blocked so it's going all over the place. It's nonsense, IMO, to award a first down to a team that has not gained 10 yards and had the ball bounce to them off a player who may not even be looking.

i would say that if they were so concerned about how the ball bounces, they should've made it a sphere. :D

i'll admit you do have a point, but i still don't think the rule is so out of whack that it would warrant a change. just my opinion.

the ball traveled past the line of scrimmage, making it just like any other punt. the KC guy picked it up and dropped it, essentially muffing it. chargers recover. it doesn't matter that it was partially blocked. like i said before, it would've been the same as kicking into a strong wind. i'm not the only one here who sees the rule as pretty clear-cut. and i'm not trying to be a d!ck here, but i can't see how anyone can argue this was a blown call. blame the KC guy for touching it, not the ref.

Uh...no he didn't! :D

It is only a block IF the ball does NOT cross the line of scrimmage. Then it would only be a partial block, which is a punt.

Have to admit, it does amaze me when I see guys getting paid millions of dollars playing special teams that don't even know the rules. Maybe special teams coach have to remember to go over weird what if situations more often.