[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cutler vs Plummer

Bronco Billy

Pro-rated for a 16 game season for each QB based upon this season's statistics:

Cutler

256 completions in 437 attempts

3157 yds passing

7.22 yards per attempt

32 TDs

16 INTs

90.1 QB rating

Plummer

254 completions in 458 attempts

2896 yds passing

6.33 yards per attempt

16 TDs

17 INTs

70.5 QB rating

Quite amazing in the difference between the rookie & the 10 year pro, especially given that the rook didn't have many appreciable snaps with the 1st team in the preseason or in regular season practices until he took over the job by default 3 games ago.

Makes you wonder not why Shanahan made the change, but what took "The Mastermind" so long...

Agreed, while not convinced that Cutler can actually win a playoff game yet, or if the Co's make the playoffs. This move should have been made early season, mid season at the latest to give Cutler some time. The guy is gonna be good, just needs snaps, and games to get comfortable.

This move is made early on- this team clould be downright scary

Cutler

3157 yds passing

7.22 yards per attempt

32 TDs

16 INTs

90.1 QB rating

Plummer

2896 yds passing

6.33 yards per attempt

16 TDs

17 INTs

70.5 QB rating

Quite amazing in the difference between the rookie & the 10 year pro, especially given that the rook didn't have many appreciable snaps with the 1st team in the preseason or in regular season practices until he took over the job by default 3 games ago.

Makes you wonder not why Shanahan made the change, but what took "The Mastermind" so long...

AKA

"According to the official bio, Shanahan is a "key leader" of "elite status" who is "ultra-impressive" and possesses an "exceptional talent" leading to a "stunning record" that puts him in an "exclusive club" plus has "dynamic drive" and has achieved "an almost unparalleled level of success" in "an atmosphere of great pressure and expectations" during "magnificent seasons" that made the Broncos the "perfect symbol" and is "arguably the finest head coach" with "one of the most brilliant minds in football" and has "one of the most dynamic minds" and is a "brilliant coach" who is the "most fertile football mind" who has "almost completely revitalized" his team while achieving "dramatic achievement" and is "dynamic" and "renowned" and gives "superb guidance" and stands "among the game's sideline greats" and is "universally regarded at the highest level" as "an ultimate leader." Move over Albert Einstein, Ernest Hemingway, Joan of Arc, Nelson Mandela -- you are flyspecks on the windshield of history compared to Mike Shanahan. "

:D

There's no doubt about it, the kid has a cannon. It's funny how people were killing Shannahan for making the move when he did, so late in the season. Now people are killing him for not making it sooner. Unbelievable.

Some were, but many considered Cutler the best pro prospect QB in the draft too. Going to the combine and putting on a show really helped him.

Edited by Randall

There's no doubt about it, the kid has a cannon. It's funny how people were killing Shannahan for making the move when he did, so late in the season. Now people are killing him for not making it sooner. Unbelievable.

Isn't that the same argument - he should have played Cutler sooner in the first place?

I'm still surprised at how incredibly bad Plummer was earlier this season. He's never been a "good" QB, but he was a decent enough "system QB" in Shanahan's offense over the past three years. The guy's only 32, so declining skills probably isn't the answer. I think that they're hiding an injury.

Seems like the concensus is starting Cutler was the correct move based on individual stats. Just to play the devils advocate, what about W vs L? Prorating both Cutler and Plummer out would suggest they should have stuck with Jake.

I am not trying to suggest switching to Cutler wasnt the right move. I am merely suggesting Denver's record is attributable to more than just the poor play of Plummer(as many seem to think). :D

Perhaps Shanahan didn't feel Cutler was ready yet. Perhaps he was waiting for the rookie to show certain things in practice - reads, check-downs, the ability to call the proper audible, whatever. Maybe if Shanahan had made the move earlier, Cutler would have gotten his ass handed to him. I love how people who know the situation only through highlight reels and commentary on ESPN think they know when a player, particularly a QB, is ready to go better than the head coach who has been with the guy every day since April. You guys are supergeniuses.

Rather than question Shanny for waiting too long, perhaps he should be given some credit for making the move at the right time.

Seems like the concensus is starting Cutler was the correct move based on individual stats. Just to play the devils advocate, what about W vs L? Prorating both Cutler and Plummer out would suggest they should have stuck with Jake.

I am not trying to suggest switching to Cutler wasnt the right move. I am merely suggesting Denver's record is attributable to more than just the poor play of Plummer(as many seem to think). :D

I agree with this 100 percent.

IMO starting Cutler over Plummer cost them 1 game. and adding up Cutlers stats right now is a waste anyways...he had 1 great game against Arizona and 2 very bad games but the stats from his 1 good game have overshadowed the 2 bad ones. nothing has been proven saying they(Broncos) would be better off with either QB really. but it is definately a good thing for Denvers future to get the kid ready now. just not sure I would forfeit the plyoffs to do it. if Denver misses by 1 game pulling Plummer that 1st game would be a very big reason to point to.

I'm still surprised at how incredibly bad Plummer was earlier this season. He's never been a "good" QB, but he was a decent enough "system QB" in Shanahan's offense over the past three years. The guy's only 32, so declining skills probably isn't the answer. I think that they're hiding an injury.

Dementia perhaps?

given the above projections, Denver's record would probably not have ended as well as they started.

even if the actual stats came anywhere close to the projected, Plummer's QB rating and ypa did not bode well for Denver's final record. Probably sub .500.

Cutler's stats likely would've ended north .500 and probably around .700. It's all conjecture obviously but QB rating and ypa are very good indicators of a final team's record.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps Shanahan didn't feel Cutler was ready yet. Perhaps he was waiting for the rookie to show certain things in practice - reads, check-downs, the ability to call the proper audible, whatever. Maybe if Shanahan had made the move earlier, Cutler would have gotten his ass handed to him. I love how people who know the situation only through highlight reels and commentary on ESPN think they know when a player, particularly a QB, is ready to go better than the head coach who has been with the guy every day since April. You guys are supergeniuses.

Rather than question Shanny for waiting too long, perhaps he should be given some credit for making the move at the right time.

Denver makes playoffs if they kept their winning QB at the helm. I went to the Seattle game, and the Hawks wouldn't have won with Plummer at the helm. Shennigans sturboness ends the playoff run against the the 49ers as Culter passes another TD to the opposing team.

Cutler's appeareance was either too early or too late. Not unbelievable, but a miscalculated coaching decision that coach Shanny F'd up on. The results verify the actions.

Believable.

Edited by bushwacked

This move scares me long term.

Shanahan made the right call. Cutler will be a good player long term.

I have a hard time believing that giving the ball to Cutler during week "regular season almost over" going into the playoffs, is the right call.

The 3-4 games are going to make or brake it for Cutler and the Broncos for now until infinity? BS!

Edited by bushwacked

I didn't see anything from Cutler that was particularly noteworthy truth be told. But they were not going to win the Super Bowl with Plummer either for that matter. Sooooo, might as well give him some seasoning, make sure Jake knows to get a couple U-Hauls rented right away, and figure out a way to keep some rabid FFL'er from pulling a L H Oswald on him by acquiring a RB he can play every down :D

I am suggesting switching to Cutler this late in the season was a horrible mistake. IMO it cost them a playoff spot. Changing QB's totally disrupts a team's chemistry both offensively and defensively. To me they should have waiting till next season. Feel the same about Grossman and the Bears.

I am suggesting switching to Cutler this late in the season was a horrible mistake. IMO it cost them a playoff spot. Changing QB's totally disrupts a team's chemistry both offensively and defensively. To me they should have waiting till next season. Feel the same about Grossman and the Bears.

+1

I have no idea why a team fighting for control of the Division would switch to a rookie QB MID SEASON! Plummer wasn't that bad, the running game is the real problem there, and Cutler's stats weren't that big an improvement. In the end, they handed a playoff spot to KC.

+1

I have no idea why a team fighting for control of the Division would switch to a rookie QB MID SEASON! Plummer wasn't that bad, the running game is the real problem there, and Cutler's stats weren't that big an improvement. In the end, they handed a playoff spot to KC.

I'm guessing the Bronco's Coach was secure enough in his job to make this kind of risky decision. As has been discussed before the Denver fans are just plain spoiled. Just making the playoffs isn't good enough for them and I honestly think the Broncos felt Plummer couldn't take then to the promise land, thus the switch. Now they can sit at home and start dreaming about next season.

I'm not sure if you guys are just trying to sound smart here by bashing a successful coach, but here are the facts that you seem to be missing:

- Jake Plummer was one of the worst QBs in the league at the time of his benching. There were only 3 or 4 starting QBs with worse numbers than him, and they were all rookies or Raiders.

- We had just lost two big games in a row under Jake, and his teammates, coaches, and fans had no confidence in him. If he was a team leader, or if he was saying the right things to the media, he could have weathered this problem... but he's not that kind of player. He said ridiculous stupid things to hurt his cause.

- There is NO WAY Jake Plummer would have led our team to victory over San Diego. They were a much much better team. If you think that loss was Cutlers fault, you're insane.

- Jay then won his next two games.

- It's not Jay Cutlers fault we lost to San Francisco. We were missing our star ILB (Wilson), and lost Darrent Williams for the second half... and we let Frank Gore run for 150 yards. He got a concussion and had to leave for a whole quarter.

Jake had a chance to come in and win our love. He came in to replace Jay when he went down. The crowd cheered for him loud. I was there. He had every chance to be the hero and he went 0-2 with 1 gigantically stupid interception. He sucks.

So, while you bash Denver and our enormously successful program over a long term... please address these points when making yours.

- We had just lost two big games in a row under Jake, and his teammates, coaches, and fans had no confidence in him.

A year ago Plummer was a top 10 QB who passed for 3300 yrds, 18 TDs and 7 Ints. Less than a year later, the fans have no faith in him and god knows, if the FANS have no faith in him they should pull him. :D

- There is NO WAY Jake Plummer would have led our team to victory over San Diego. They were a much much better team. If you think that loss was Cutlers fault, you're insane.

Right, so why bother even trying?

Jay then won his next two games.

Wow-- two games? Superbowl, here we come!

It's not Jay Cutlers fault we lost to San Francisco. We were missing our star ILB (Wilson), and lost Darrent Williams for the second half... and we let Frank Gore run for 150 yards. He got a concussion and had to leave for a whole quarter.

And afterall, SF is a powerhouse in the NFC West.

Sounds like your overly defensive about criticism of a bad coaching decision. Nobody has slagged the good run Denver has had the last 8 years, jus t a stupid decision to bag the season when they were in the running for a playoff spot.

I'm sorry... but you made no arguments against anything I said except quoting Plummer's numbers from last year, which were extraordinary for his career. Should Beuerlein still be an NFL starter because he had one good season? Plummer was the worst veteran QB in the league this year.

just a stupid decision to bag the season when they were in the running for a playoff spot.

... and you made no argument for this statement. Why is benching the worst non-rookie QB in the league "bagging the season"? I'd say it's pretty common sense. :D

Did you not see Cutlers 99 yard drive to take the lead against the Bengals? How many 99 yard drives did Plummer have this season?

Edited by AtomicCEO

I'm sorry... but you made no arguments against anything I said except quoting Plummer's numbers from last year, which were extraordinary for his career. Should Beuerlein still be an NFL starter because he had one good season? Plummer was the worst veteran QB in the league this year.

... and you made no argument for this statement. Why is benching the worst non-rookie QB in the league "bagging the season"? I'd say it's pretty common sense. :D

The year before last years good year Plummer threw for 4089 yds, 27 TDs.

A couple of bad games on a winnign team after 2 better than good years in a row is no reason to bench him for a rookie. Banking on a rookie QB to do what very few rooks have done before, mid season mind you, is bagging the season.

Cutler

3157 yds passing

7.22 yards per attempt

32 TDs

16 INTs

90.1 QB rating

Plummer

2896 yds passing

6.33 yards per attempt

16 TDs

17 INTs

70.5 QB rating

I don't think you can pro-rate stats in the nfl and think that's how they would have done. It sounds too much like the Madden players who predict games with their PS2. Just think if you pro-rated Grossman after his first few games how he would have projected....